What's new

Playing Guitar Hero - does adding a receiver add lag? (1 Viewer)

Ray Ruggaurs

Agent
Hi everyone! Playing Guitar Hero (ps3) via HDMI connected directly to the TV. I'm thinking of upgrading to a receiver to improve the sound ( =) Jaming to real speakers instead of the TV's!)

I'm worried about input lag (the delay due to video processing after the TV signal leaves the console)

Has any one experienced lag when they play their console via a receiver? My set up would be:

PS3 --HDMI--> Receiver --HDMI--> TV

Thanks for your comments

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
I don't have GH for PS3 but IIRC I'm pretty sure the game has a setting which allows you to calibrate for audio lag.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Yep. All the musical instrument games let you calibrate for lag. The lag appears to be somewhat dependent on one's specific equipment.

Ray Ruggaurs

Agent
Thanks for the replies everyone!

Oh - that's not good. At least for GH3 there's compensation.

Anyway to reduce the lag? What about if the receiver has a pass-through option?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Does your receiver have an optical input? If so, you can use the HDMI->TV for video and Optical->Receiver for audio since the PS3 has both ports and these settings can be changed on the XMB. This is what I do so that I don't have lag in any games. You can recalibrate Guitar Hero and Rock Band, but you can't recalibrate any other PS3 games (ok, maybe you can do Rock Revolution, but you get my point).

Ray Ruggaurs

Agent
Thanks!
I may have to do that.
I was hoping to be able to use the PS3 to play some blu-rays on a high-def sound since i cant do that with optical

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I wouldn't think automatically that you're going to have lag just because someone on here posted that they do.

It really depends on what receiver and tv you are using.

I have a PS3 -> HDMI -> Denon AVR-2807 -> HDMI -> Optoma 70 Front projector, and have zero lag. I have never needed to do any in game lag calibration and it works perfectly.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I have lag as well; FWIW I have a Marantz SR8002, and a Pioneer KRP500A (not sure what the equivalent US model is, one of the 9th gen Elites obviously).

You can play 5.1, but not 5.1 hi-def, which is what Ray was referring to. Hi def audio can only be transmitted via HDMI (or as six discrete analog signals), not via optical. If optical is the connector, you'd only get 'dumbed down' regular Dolby or DTS, not Dolby True HD nor DTS-MA.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks