What's new

Battlestar Galactica "Complete" BluRay Series Missing Extras? (1 Viewer)

Guido

Stunt Coordinator
Can anyone comment on this? Is it going to be on the 4.5 standard or blu ray release? This is really atrocious, and spending $300 on a complete set was not a tough decision for me, considering my love of BSG, but if it is truly incomplete, I may have to re-think this.

Blu-ray.com - No Face of the Enemy in Battlestar Galactica?

No Face of the Enemy in Battlestar Galactica?
Posted May 28, 2009 01:43 PM by Juan Calonge

When we listed the special features for the upcoming 'Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series' Blu-ray set, some forum members pointed out that the extras list made no mention of 'The Face of the Enemy'. Indeed, it seems that this series of ten webisodes will be absent from the Blu-ray set.

When contacted about this, Universal Studios Home Entertainment gave the following response: "Because 'Battlestar Galactica' has such loyal and passionate fans, we include as much bonus content as possible to enhance each DVD release. Sometimes, however, legal clearances, timing issues, disc capacity or other issues prevent existing material from being included."

The website who posted this (gay-themed blog AfterElton.com) speculates that this omission might have something to do with the disclosure of a character's sexuality during the webisodes. Note that the link below contains spoilers.

Source: AfterElton

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
From what I understand, the webisodes are not being released at all. Not on the complete set, not on the 4.5 releases.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I know you're just passing on the info but I find that reason to be nearly impossible. If Universal was that uncomfortable with that element of the story, they wouldn't have let them do it in the first place. They wouldn't have OK'ed the scripts, shot them, put them online as the creators wanted and then suddenly decide that they were homophobes and wanted the webisodes hidden from public view.

Guido

Stunt Coordinator
I hope they do make it onto the Plan DVD, as they were quite different and rather dark. I also hope they aren't on any other release, which frankly wouldn't make much sense.

And I absolutely agree the reasoning is ridiculous, and I am gay, and thought that speculation was absurd, considering Gaeta and Hiroshi's relationship was in the season eps as well.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I never once bought into the idea Universal was being homophobic by not including the webisodes. As Travis said, it just doesn't make any sense whatsoever. This is the company that released Brokeback Mountain and Milk in recent years. I similarly don't buy the "legal issues" or "time constraints" explanation by Uni.

Especially considering the first two sets of minisodes (Resistance, Razo) are included. If anything, Resistance would be excluded for legal issues by virtue of being first out of the gate. Nah, this is deliberate on Uni's part to hold them for some other reason...maybe The Plan.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
In terms of time constraints, there is the possibility that there wasn't enough room in the 4.5 set to get all of them on a single DVD without having to add another disc to the set. That would spill over to the complete set and carry over to the Blu-ray in order to prevent exclusive material.

Obviously there's no way to confirm that until we have the discs in our hands.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
There's only 11 episodes (counting the double-length finale as 2 episodes) on four discs but I guess with the webisodes running about 35 to 40 minutes and depending on how long the deleted scenes and behind the scenes features run, I guess that is a possibility.

I'm still holding on to my "They're holding them for inclusion on The Plan" theory though.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
It's either going to be The Plan, Travis, or as an exclusive bonus disc at Best Buy or Target.

sestamuch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonas

I hope but I don't expect them to do that, when and if they do, it'll just be a nice surprise.

bferr1

Auditioning
Real Name
Bryan Ferreira
Maybe the missing webisodes will be made available as a BD-Live extra, or maybe as a mail-in offer for a disc version?

Harpozep

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert

Well they can be found at various conventions where fans gather and the non-inclusion will just make things like that happen more.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Universal announced The Plan today and The Face Of The Enemy webisodes aren't on there. It's bad enough that they aren't on the series set but not including them here is inexcusable.

Edward James Olmos (who directed The Plan) has said that they're would be a much longer cut of the movie on video and, according to the press release, that's not on this release either. So maybe Universal is just trying to bleed a few more dollars out of people by holding the webisodes for the extended version of The Plan? Unless this is just an error in the press release, this is a really scummy move on Universal's part.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.