Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

*** Official UP Discussion Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
86 replies to this topic

#1 of 87 OFFLINE   Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter

• 1,105 posts

Posted May 27 2009 - 04:10 AM

Okay, it has been a month since the LAST posting about UP. It starts in a couple of days, and I have gone from "just wait" to "see it opening weekend." The reviews at RottenTomatoes (100% for 33 so far) have been nothing short of astounding and, in true Pixar form, the trailers have little to do with the actual plot and heart of the film. Another thing that has become abundantly clear reading the reviews is that the 3D is NOT needed to enjoy this film to its utmost, and in fact, can be a distraction. Many are already calling it the best film of the year. I hope so.

#2 of 87 OFFLINE   BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted May 27 2009 - 04:55 AM

I'm looking forward to the 1st rotten review so I can read the comments it gets. Always good reading. Posted Image

Heads UP ( Posted Image ): Disney Movie Rewards is giving double points for movie tix bought online through Fandango.

#3 of 87 OFFLINE   Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted May 27 2009 - 08:07 AM

Jeez, just found out I have to wait five months(!!!) to be able to see this movie. I would think that after all the money Pixar made they would give their movies a worldwide release. I think it already would be released on Blu-Ray in the US in September.
Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#4 of 87 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted May 28 2009 - 03:11 AM

James Bs review

Reelviews Movie Reviews

He gives the film alot of praise.

#5 of 87 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,793 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted May 28 2009 - 03:54 AM

Jon: Thanks for sharing that.

That sounds like an animated film that is right up my alley! I love the fact that the reviewer focused in on Pixar's ability to play to adults and children in the same work.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#6 of 87 OFFLINE   Martin Teller

Martin Teller

Screenwriter

• 2,414 posts

Posted May 28 2009 - 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettB
I'm looking forward to the 1st rotten review so I can read the comments it gets. Always good reading. Posted Image

Notorious crank Armond White steps up to the plate: The Way of Pixarism

#7 of 87 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,630 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted May 28 2009 - 04:45 AM

The EW review is up, Grade A (Lisa Schwarzbaum).
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#8 of 87 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,025 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted May 28 2009 - 05:37 AM

Quote:
I liked Cars when I first saw it but that was about it. However, I rewatched it when the DVD came out and I thought it was excellent. It's a sweet movie about small towns and an easier going lifestyle. I always recommend that people check it out a second time and see if it grows on them.

I grew up on / near Route66. When I first saw it, I thought about the towns I knew well on that route; at one point, some of the buildings looked so scary like downtown Galena & Riverton that it really killed me. About 3/4 through the film, I was so sold on it that I later went to see "Cars" play in the venue where it had to be seen.. in the Carthage, Missouri Route 66 drive in. 66 Drive-In ROCKS

Maybe it's just us rural-types, but Cars was a movie that hit me more then any other pixar film outside of Toy Story 2, because it seemed to epitomize everything I knew from childhood. Small towns become smaller because the kids quickly leave and go to the city. Rural communities dying. And, oddly, when the city attorney lobbied to save her town, I pictured so many family members and friends I knew well who worked hard to renovate and save the small town schools that had been their home.

Maybe it's not for everyone, but Cars is a pixar film that just "got it" for me. I love that damn film. Posted Image

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#9 of 87 OFFLINE   Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,990 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted May 28 2009 - 06:17 AM

I have a 5 year old son, and I watched Cars every day for a few months, it seemed. I have probably seen it more than every other Pixar movie, save maybe The Incredibles. Is it their best? Not in my opinion, but it *is* a capital-G Great movie. I make no bones about that. I love it as well.
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#10 of 87 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,793 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted May 28 2009 - 06:45 AM

The Pixar films are simply intelligent, well-crafted films for adults and kids alike.

There are so many things that Pixar "gets right" that most other films are lucky to get half-right--and for a much smaller audience.

I am very much looking forward to Up!.

And, then, TS3! Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#11 of 87 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,175 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted May 28 2009 - 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon
And, then, TS3! Posted Image
I'm assuming there's a teaser for Toy Story 3 on Up. I'm hoping it's in 3-D too. Posted Image

#12 of 87 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,338 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted May 28 2009 - 06:51 AM

On Fresh Air (NPR) this week the director of UP was interviewed. It's a couple of days ago so I may not get what he said exactly right. He was asked about the 3-D aspect and he said that wasn't in the original plans, but they established a separate group to do the 3-D. He said he didn't delve into the 3-D too much but remained mostly concerned with the story and characters.

That last sentence is why Pixar keeps making great movies. They don't start with the technology, they start with the oldest part of telling a story: the story and the characters.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#13 of 87 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,793 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted May 28 2009 - 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Angell
They don't start with the technology, they start with the oldest part of telling a story: the story and the characters.

That was Walt's simple formula for success.

#14 of 87 OFFLINE   Chris Will

Chris Will

Supporting Actor

• 735 posts
  • LocationMontgomery, AL

Posted May 28 2009 - 08:18 AM

My least favorite Pixar film, A Bug's Life, is still better then 99% of the non-Pixar animated films. I don't understand why other studios like Dreamworks, and Sony, don't understand that it's the story that makes something great. Sometimes they nail, sometimes they don't but, Pixar hits it out of the park every time.

Pixar is Disney these days and is what Disney Animation lost with the last handful of traditionally animated films. Hopefully Lasseter will bring Disney back to there glory days with "The Princess and the Frog."

#15 of 87 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,025 posts

Posted May 28 2009 - 08:51 AM

I think the problem is that all too often, even here, we attach film being good to box office.

In that mold, a film like "Shrek" has made incredible, unstoppable box office. But I have almost no interest in going back and watching Shrek 1/2/3. They are all so laced with pop-culture and cutesy moments that the story as a whole is pretty weak, and it just goes through the motions.

Meanwhile, I can go back tomorrow and watch "Toy Story" and the story is so well told an universal that it is as fresh today as it was upon release.

I think Dreamworks, etc. sees nothing wrong in their method - Monsters V. Aliens made a ton of money. But in 3 years, which film am I likely to consider watching again?

trakt.tv

#16 of 87 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,875 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted May 28 2009 - 09:13 AM

^^^^
Shrek was good. Just wasn't your cup of tea. I loved it! I loved the sequels even more!!! I think the haters are in the minority. No offense matt.

Looking forward to UP. I hope it's better than Wall*E, which had a phenom first 30 minutes then went from 10/10 to 7/10 in my book, and Cars which I just didn't care for. It looks as if the main character will be sort of Walter Matthau and that's a good thing. Posted Image
Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#17 of 87 OFFLINE   SilverWook

SilverWook

Screenwriter

• 1,528 posts

Posted May 28 2009 - 10:21 AM

Do people ever complain about those dated pop culture references in old Bugs Bunny cartoons? Posted Image

I liked Toy Story, but the plot was awfully similar to an old Jim Henson special called "The Christmas Toy". I think that was adapted from a book?

#18 of 87 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,025 posts

Posted May 28 2009 - 11:28 AM

Quote:
Shrek was good. Just wasn't your cup of tea. I loved it! I loved the sequels even more!!! I think the haters are in the minority. No offense matt.

Oh, I don't hate it. I enjoyed it with the kids. But it's not as re-watchable as other films in the libarary.

And by pop culture references, I mean real pop-culture minutia references. I thought Shrek 1 & 2 were good, I thought 3 was pretty much drek, but hey, we all have our opinions.

But when I go back and watch films, there are some films that stand the test of time and some that don't. It's just not one of those I'd que up often for a re-watch. And a film doesn't have to be successful for that. Hell, I've watched "Hoosiers" a million times, and could still re-watch it. There are just some films that have that. Shrek may be good, but it just isn't built in a way that I feel 30 years from now people will say "damn, that's a good film".

trakt.tv

#19 of 87 OFFLINE   Abby_B

Abby_B

Supporting Actor

• 607 posts

Posted May 28 2009 - 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon
The Pixar films are simply intelligent, well-crafted films for adults and kids alike.

Yes, that's what makes Pixar so genius! And I love how they portray the relationships between characters. I think Up is probably the best example of that as well. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing it this weekend!

#20 of 87 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,875 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted May 29 2009 - 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattCR
Oh, I don't hate it. I enjoyed it with the kids. But it's not as re-watchable as other films in the libarary.

And by pop culture references, I mean real pop-culture minutia references. I thought Shrek 1 & 2 were good, I thought 3 was pretty much drek, but hey, we all have our opinions.

But when I go back and watch films, there are some films that stand the test of time and some that don't. It's just not one of those I'd que up often for a re-watch. And a film doesn't have to be successful for that. Hell, I've watched "Hoosiers" a million times, and could still re-watch it. There are just some films that have that. Shrek may be good, but it just isn't built in a way that I feel 30 years from now people will say "damn, that's a good film".
Shrek is my fav modern animated film. I like the 1st sequel about as much. I blind bought the 3rd one and couldn't believe how much better it was than I'd heard. But suspected as much. For me, just discussing them here makes me want to go watch them. I've seen the first one about a dozen times!

I know you're not alone in hating that 3rd movie. But as for the series as a whole, I dont' think it's a wide view. Those just make too much money. Sure, they are nothing mind expanding like a Spirited Away but I think for me personally a Shrek is easier to enjoy than a Spirited Away. Simple stories, and why not? It all goes back to stuff like Grimm. Those were always simple but intelligent stories. You'd never see anything like that bathhouse scene of SA in a Shrek! Posted Image

As for pop culture refs, that's a common CON that people list. I'm definitely a member of the group who loves that kind of thing. I guess time progresses, and maybe 10-15 years from now I'll look at those Shreks and start to roll my eyes so much they spin around backwards in my head. But for now I can't get enough of Shrek. Really, can't wait for 4. I was very surprised that many people do groan at the thought of watching these.
Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow