What's new

*** Official UP Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
Okay, it has been a month since the LAST posting about UP. It starts in a couple of days, and I have gone from "just wait" to "see it opening weekend." The reviews at RottenTomatoes (100% for 33 so far) have been nothing short of astounding and, in true Pixar form, the trailers have little to do with the actual plot and heart of the film. Another thing that has become abundantly clear reading the reviews is that the 3D is NOT needed to enjoy this film to its utmost, and in fact, can be a distraction. Many are already calling it the best film of the year. I hope so.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
I'm looking forward to the 1st rotten review so I can read the comments it gets. Always good reading.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Heads UP ( :D ): Disney Movie Rewards is giving double points for movie tix bought online through Fandango.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
Jeez, just found out I have to wait five months(!!!) to be able to see this movie. I would think that after all the money Pixar made they would give their movies a worldwide release. I think it already would be released on Blu-Ray in the US in September.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Jon: Thanks for sharing that.

That sounds like an animated film that is right up my alley! I love the fact that the reviewer focused in on Pixar's ability to play to adults and children in the same work.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt

I grew up on / near Route66. When I first saw it, I thought about the towns I knew well on that route; at one point, some of the buildings looked so scary like downtown Galena & Riverton that it really killed me. About 3/4 through the film, I was so sold on it that I later went to see "Cars" play in the venue where it had to be seen.. in the Carthage, Missouri Route 66 drive in. 66 Drive-In ROCKS

Maybe it's just us rural-types, but Cars was a movie that hit me more then any other pixar film outside of Toy Story 2, because it seemed to epitomize everything I knew from childhood. Small towns become smaller because the kids quickly leave and go to the city. Rural communities dying. And, oddly, when the city attorney lobbied to save her town, I pictured so many family members and friends I knew well who worked hard to renovate and save the small town schools that had been their home.

Maybe it's not for everyone, but Cars is a pixar film that just "got it" for me. I love that damn film.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I have a 5 year old son, and I watched Cars every day for a few months, it seemed. I have probably seen it more than every other Pixar movie, save maybe The Incredibles. Is it their best? Not in my opinion, but it *is* a capital-G Great movie. I make no bones about that. I love it as well.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The Pixar films are simply intelligent, well-crafted films for adults and kids alike.

There are so many things that Pixar "gets right" that most other films are lucky to get half-right--and for a much smaller audience.

I am very much looking forward to Up!.

And, then, TS3! :D

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
On Fresh Air (NPR) this week the director of UP was interviewed. It's a couple of days ago so I may not get what he said exactly right. He was asked about the 3-D aspect and he said that wasn't in the original plans, but they established a separate group to do the 3-D. He said he didn't delve into the 3-D too much but remained mostly concerned with the story and characters.

That last sentence is why Pixar keeps making great movies. They don't start with the technology, they start with the oldest part of telling a story: the story and the characters.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
My least favorite Pixar film, A Bug's Life, is still better then 99% of the non-Pixar animated films. I don't understand why other studios like Dreamworks, and Sony, don't understand that it's the story that makes something great. Sometimes they nail, sometimes they don't but, Pixar hits it out of the park every time.

Pixar is Disney these days and is what Disney Animation lost with the last handful of traditionally animated films. Hopefully Lasseter will bring Disney back to there glory days with "The Princess and the Frog."

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I think the problem is that all too often, even here, we attach film being good to box office.

In that mold, a film like "Shrek" has made incredible, unstoppable box office. But I have almost no interest in going back and watching Shrek 1/2/3. They are all so laced with pop-culture and cutesy moments that the story as a whole is pretty weak, and it just goes through the motions.

Meanwhile, I can go back tomorrow and watch "Toy Story" and the story is so well told an universal that it is as fresh today as it was upon release.

I think Dreamworks, etc. sees nothing wrong in their method - Monsters V. Aliens made a ton of money. But in 3 years, which film am I likely to consider watching again?

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
^^^^
Shrek was good. Just wasn't your cup of tea. I loved it! I loved the sequels even more!!! I think the haters are in the minority. No offense matt.

Looking forward to UP. I hope it's better than Wall*E, which had a phenom first 30 minutes then went from 10/10 to 7/10 in my book, and Cars which I just didn't care for. It looks as if the main character will be sort of Walter Matthau and that's a good thing.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Do people ever complain about those dated pop culture references in old Bugs Bunny cartoons? :D

I liked Toy Story, but the plot was awfully similar to an old Jim Henson special called "The Christmas Toy". I think that was adapted from a book?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt

Oh, I don't hate it. I enjoyed it with the kids. But it's not as re-watchable as other films in the libarary.

And by pop culture references, I mean real pop-culture minutia references. I thought Shrek 1 & 2 were good, I thought 3 was pretty much drek, but hey, we all have our opinions.

But when I go back and watch films, there are some films that stand the test of time and some that don't. It's just not one of those I'd que up often for a re-watch. And a film doesn't have to be successful for that. Hell, I've watched "Hoosiers" a million times, and could still re-watch it. There are just some films that have that. Shrek may be good, but it just isn't built in a way that I feel 30 years from now people will say "damn, that's a good film".

Abby_B

Supporting Actor

Yes, that's what makes Pixar so genius! And I love how they portray the relationships between characters. I think Up is probably the best example of that as well. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing it this weekend!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Shrek is my fav modern animated film. I like the 1st sequel about as much. I blind bought the 3rd one and couldn't believe how much better it was than I'd heard. But suspected as much. For me, just discussing them here makes me want to go watch them. I've seen the first one about a dozen times!

I know you're not alone in hating that 3rd movie. But as for the series as a whole, I dont' think it's a wide view. Those just make too much money. Sure, they are nothing mind expanding like a Spirited Away but I think for me personally a Shrek is easier to enjoy than a Spirited Away. Simple stories, and why not? It all goes back to stuff like Grimm. Those were always simple but intelligent stories. You'd never see anything like that bathhouse scene of SA in a Shrek! :laugh:

As for pop culture refs, that's a common CON that people list. I'm definitely a member of the group who loves that kind of thing. I guess time progresses, and maybe 10-15 years from now I'll look at those Shreks and start to roll my eyes so much they spin around backwards in my head. But for now I can't get enough of Shrek. Really, can't wait for 4. I was very surprised that many people do groan at the thought of watching these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks