What's new

Another one: 'Alien' prepares to be rebooted (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
BD Horror News - Update: First Predator, Now It's 'Alien' Being Remade

Confirmation of the rumor: BD Horror News - Tony Scott CONFIRMS 'Alien' Remake/Prequel

It appears as though a reboot of sorts is being planned with Alien, except Ridley Scott is apparently on board. The film follows the basic premise of the first one, just an update. Tony Scott has now confirmed.

This is now being characterized as a pre-quel to the original:

Carl Rinsch Confirmed as Director for Fox's Alien Prequel FirstShowing.net

This will mark Carl Rinsch's first major film production, having been primarily a music video / commercial director.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I'd much rather see both films remade instead of another AvP movie. ALIEN itself was pretty much a remake of IT! THE TERROR FROM BEYOND SPACE anyways.

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
wow.

i am really curious about how they are going to make it. really really. are they going to explain about the origin of the alien it self? what topics are they going to explore this time around?

i really want to hear fan speculations about this one.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Basically Hollywood has run out of ideas and so we're getting nothing but reboots and remakes.

Red Dawn, Fright Night, Predator, Robocop,Nightmare of Elm Street,etc

Reboots for Tomb Raider, Fantastic Four, Daredevil,X-Men....... because they screwed them up the first time around

The only remake I haven the slightest interest in is Clash Of The Titans.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Oh jeez at least remake something that isn't one of the most revered and influential sci-fi movies ever made. Well hopefully it'll be completely different in storyline and creature design, keep the two seperate. And please call it Star Beast, which was the working title for Alien. ;)

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
The only prequel idea that makes sense to me would be how the derelict spaceship in the original came to grief. Not much chance of having human characters in that though.

I think the Dark Horse comics have done stories about the "space jockey" aliens.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Alien, Aliens, T1 and T2, predator do not need remakes, reboots, or any of that garbage. Go ahead and remake t4 if you want, but leave the rest of these alone.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'm as big of an Alien fan as anyone, but this project can't be any worse than the "Alien" projects we've been getting recently. And if Ridley is involved somehow, that can't hurt either. Although it was some time ago, in his original commentary, he did actually say that we was interested in the idea of doing another one which involved the "Space Jockey" race. But yeah, the danger there is that they would have to somehow retro-fit the story to involve human characters.

But I think if a new "Alien" is going to work, it has to be a "back to basics" approach which means making it about horror again, no trying to one up the other films by adding new biological aspects to the Alien. No excessive fake looking CGI and actual good characterization which is what made "Alien" and "Aliens" so great.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Yea but if they couldnt think of anything interesting to do with any of these films sequels all these years - how will a "remake" be any different.

Remake, sequel - doesnt matter. No new ideas is still no new ideas.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Well, I don't think it is necessarily fair to totally impugn the idea of remakes of reboots (even though it does speak volumes about Hollywood's lack of creativity lately) because every once and awhile a truly good to great remake does come along, especially in the Sci-Fi/Horror genre. Take "The Thing", "The Fly" "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" "Batman Begins" "Star Trek" etc. So I'm not automatically opposed to the idea of a remake or reboot. And even if it does suck, it's not like the original goes away. But as I alluded to, I'm way more intrigued about this idea than another awful AvP film. Actually, I think you even have a better chance with a reboot because it would seem to me that a reboot would be given more care than a cheap, cash in sequel.

Michael:M

Supporting Actor

This is 20th Century Fox we're talking about. Chances for the suits to screw this up are phenomenally high.

Harpozep

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
Well I sure hope they keep Mark Wahlberg out of it. He single handedly ruined any good that may have been in the Planet Of The Apes "Reboot".
Plus the script sucked

Ben Osborne

Second Unit
The best thing about this prequels/reboots/origin stories, is the the titles write themselves. We just have to apply the standard algorithm, and we get a couple of candidates:

Alien Origins: Fall of the Space Jockeys
Aliens: Ripley Rising

Seriously, this seems unnecessary. I'm officially cynical about this.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

Then you run the risk of of WOLVERINE : ORIGINS in that you get a 90 minute movie dealing with a story that was handled in about 10 minutes in the original movies. Who cares how that derelict ship got the Alien whammy, the only point is to set up the story that is Alien.

I remember a rumour that Ridley Scott was interested i directing an Alien film with James Cameron producing where the Aliens would end up on Earth. This supposedly got scuttled when the AvsP movies went forward. Probably fanboy invention, but a take on the scenario that made sense to the series of films that came before it would be pretty good.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark

I also remember Weaver commenting that the Ripley 2.0 from Alien: Resurrection was originally conceived of as a trilogy.

Remember how when they are heading towards Earth and Jonner
barked, "Earth, what a sh__hole!" Clearly there was some backstory
there to be exploited in the next two films.

But the film did not perform as hoped, as we got the Alien vs Predator sequels instead.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
As much as I like Aliens, I don't care much for this idea yet for 2 reasons.

1. Please, no more prequels. They just aren't interesting.

2. The story really needs to end. Otherwise it's just people being chased endlessly.

Original Film: people running & screaming, looking over their shoulder being chased by Alien / Predator / Terminator / Jason / Freddy. They kill the thing chasing them.

Sequel: people running & screaming, looking over their shoulder being chased by the now non-dead Alien / Predator / Terminator / Jason / Freddy. They kill the thing chasing them.

Next sequel: people running & screaming, looking over their shoulder being chased by the still non-dead Alien / Predator / Terminator / Jason / Freddy. They kill the thing chasing them.

Prequel: people running & screaming, looking over their shoulder being chased by the original Alien / Predator / Terminator / Jason / Freddy. They don't kill the thing chasing them because it leads to original film.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou

For me the most entertaining film of 2009 so far is a prequel, and by coincidence it's currently the most successful film of the year too. ;)

They should remake Blade Runner (who fainted?) and do a proper job of it this time, give it the original book title, make it more faithful to Dick's story and get Paul Verhoeven to direct, mmmm [smiles wistfully] :crazy:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.