Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Tweet

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 of 52 OFFLINE   Diallo B

Diallo B

Screenwriter

• 1,076 posts

Posted May 29 2009 - 01:48 AM

why is twitter a big deal?
listen with your own ears...
watch with your own eyes...
make your own decision.

#2 of 52 OFFLINE   Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk

Screenwriter

• 2,833 posts

Posted May 29 2009 - 02:10 AM

I've heard about it, is it some sort of blog?

#3 of 52 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,852 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted May 29 2009 - 04:26 AM

I don't do it myself, but here's one take:

So, what’s the big deal with Twitter? ? Shefaly Yogendra

#4 of 52 OFFLINE   Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter

• 1,129 posts

Posted May 29 2009 - 07:48 AM

I'm afraid its appeal is completely lost on me. This is going to be one of those things I just don't "get", like NASCAR or opera.
"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink

#5 of 52 OFFLINE   mylan

mylan

Screenwriter

• 1,686 posts

Posted May 29 2009 - 10:39 AM

Well, I get NASCAR to a degree, abhor opera, but texting in general makes no sense to me so texting what I am doing "right now" to a group of strangers is absolutely a waste of time.

Of course, mindless discussions here are completely ok!Posted Image
I know enough to know I don't know enough!

#6 of 52 OFFLINE   CRyan

CRyan

Screenwriter

• 1,244 posts

Posted May 29 2009 - 10:52 AM

I think the big thing now is following what celebs have to say. At least if you watch the news these days thats what seems to be the case. And that even more makes me not get it. I have no idea nor the inclination nor the time to tell people my thoughts many times a day or want to read the thoughts of others. Who knows. Weird to me but lots of people must really enjoy it.

#7 of 52 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 15,105 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted May 29 2009 - 11:24 AM

I don't quite get it, but some celeb postings make sense. I was just reading in the Iron Man 2 thread that Favreau tweets to give out a little information. "Finished filming for the week. We're halfway through now." That sort of thing can be of interest.

#8 of 52 OFFLINE   DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,702 posts

Posted May 29 2009 - 11:54 AM

I really had my doubts about the usefulness of Twitter, but I tried it because some of my students encouraged it and because I could get some free software for my mom by tweeting. I've used it for a while and I still have some doubts about, but I can also see its usefulness. I've found for some of my friends and students, it is a good way to keep up with them. For example, I had a friend who has had some health problems recently and he let his friends know through Twitter. It seems to be a more instantaneous form of communication than email, Facebook, etc. I also use it to follow and find useful information and news on the web---especially while I'm on the go. It is great for this purpose.

#9 of 52 OFFLINE   Diallo B

Diallo B

Screenwriter

• 1,076 posts

Posted May 29 2009 - 11:57 AM

that is exactly why i asked the question. seems like everyday on the news someone is talking about tweeting. who cares what some celeb is thinking all day everyday? the one time i found it interesting and useful was when the plane went down in the hudson. other than that and situations like that i don't see the appeal.
make your own decision.

#10 of 52 OFFLINE   Diallo B

Diallo B

Screenwriter

• 1,076 posts

Posted May 29 2009 - 12:04 PM

after reading that article another i have another thought. as much as i love and use cutting edge technology i see that our circle of privacy is growing smaller everyday.
make your own decision.

#11 of 52 OFFLINE   Diallo B

Diallo B

Screenwriter

• 1,076 posts

Posted May 29 2009 - 12:07 PM

i value my privacy too much to be in always on communication with a bunch of people. so i see that tweeting is not for me. as for the instant info on the web i thought that is why most people have mobile internet on their phone. i would be up frack's creek without a paddle if i didn't have my pocket pc phone with me.
make your own decision.

#12 of 52 OFFLINE   DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,702 posts

Posted May 29 2009 - 01:19 PM

Twitter helps me find more relevant or interesting information faster. Someone posts a link and brief description. If it is interesting or relevant, I click on the link and read it.

#13 of 52 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,739 posts

Posted May 29 2009 - 02:32 PM

It's a fad.....like pet rocks and Furbies. Here today and gone tomorrow.....replaced by the next concept to catch the jaded eyes of consumers.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#14 of 52 OFFLINE   nolesrule

nolesrule

Producer

• 3,084 posts
  • LocationClearwater, FL

Posted May 29 2009 - 02:49 PM

I'm not so sure it'll be just a fad. Sure, some of the uses we see in mass media might go away, but it has some great features. It's an excellent mass marketing and mass/group communications platform. It's an alternative to RSS feeds and allows for quick notifcations to target groups. The fact that the portal can be accessed via website, text message or email (and also phone-specific applications) makes it an invaluable communications tool. It's no more a fad than email, text messaging, instant messaging or even the internet itself. It's just another communications tool that meets a need in ways that other platforms can't.

#15 of 52 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,852 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted May 29 2009 - 07:27 PM

Tweeting Too Hard

#16 of 52 OFFLINE   BrianW

BrianW

Screenwriter

• 2,560 posts

Posted May 30 2009 - 02:39 AM

I'm sitting in front of the computer in my socks and underwear, eating a bowl of Rice Krispies. Nope, I can't say it does a thing for me.
-Brian
Come, Rubidia. Let's blow this epoch.

#17 of 52 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,852 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted May 30 2009 - 02:43 AM

Don't worry, it's mutual. Posted Image

#18 of 52 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,305 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted May 30 2009 - 02:56 AM

I'm just now figuring out FaceBook, forget about Twitter. Unfortunately, some Facebook users are simply regurgitating their Twitter comments to Facebook, which is tedious. I can imagine a personal use of Twitter: if I had a circle of friends, flung about the country, who all used Twitter, it could be a fun way to keep in touch and keep up with what each other is doing. But I'm PT -- pre-tweet -- generation and my friends are equally foozled by Twitter.

#19 of 52 OFFLINE   Francois Caron

Francois Caron

Screenwriter

• 2,145 posts

Posted May 30 2009 - 03:50 AM

I'm writing this while sitting naked on the john.

Hmm. Maybe too much information there. Posted Image

I actually find Twitter much easier to maintain than MySpace and Facebook. It allows me to post quick tid-bits about my future television channel's progress in the most efficient manner possible. Regular long-winded updates are limited to my company's Web site, which happens to be driven by Wordpress.

#20 of 52 OFFLINE   Lucia Duran

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter

• 1,089 posts

Posted June 01 2009 - 08:28 AM

Remember the facebook/myspace thread? I believe I commented in there about NEVER getting a facebook or Myspace page and somehow I managed to get talked into it by a group of friends. So I signed up to facebook, found some old friends, saw that they updated their pages three times a day and then I promptly deleted my account. I just do not have the time or energy to spend on updating an internet page for my friends to see what I have been doing. If you really want to know what I have been up to, call me or send an email. Twitter is just another thing I don't get.
NO SHIRT

NO SHOES

NO SHELDON

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users