What's new

Infamous should make you glad to own a PS3 (2 Viewers)

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
I recommend everyone at least try the demo, which is a lot of fun. I'm playing the full game now.

This, it seems to me, is the game Assassin's Creed should have been--a fun, mission-based, parkour, open-world action game. The electrically based superpowers are a lot of fun to wield, and there's good variety to the missions so far.

--Jefferson Morris

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Jefferson Morris said:
I recommend everyone at least try the demo, which is a lot of fun. I'm playing the full game now.
This, it seems to me, is the game Assassin's Creed should have been--a fun, mission-based, parkour, open-world action game. The electrically based superpowers are a lot of fun to wield, and there's good variety to the missions so far.
--Jefferson Morris
That's funny.
I said the same thing to my friend, trying to get her to at least try the demo.
I think this is what Assassin's Creed should have been.
Cole has so much freedom in movement and jumping/leaping it's crazy.
I'm also playing the full game.
I'm playing through in good mode first, then will attempt evil mode later on.
The story is really solid. and I'm assuming we're going to get a sequel or a trilogy out of this game, as it had great word of mouth even before the game came out.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I'm really digging this title as well. For a long while, outside of LBP, the only games that got played on our PS3 were PSN games (primarily PixelJunk, who has some stunning winners) but this is the first title that I've said "wow, that's cool". Even the demo/training sequence of the train ride manages to get you right into the game, and the controls make incredible sense, easy to learn and use.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
So this looks like a winner? I was thinking of picking it up....but 70 bucks is a lot of coin to drop if it turns out to be a dog. Right now HAZE comes to mind.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
JohnS said:
Cole has so much freedom in movement and jumping/leaping it's crazy.
I'm also playing the full game.
I'm playing through in good mode first, then will attempt evil mode later on.
Ditto here. I'm playing as a goodie-goodie on normal difficulty, then I'll probably ramp it to hard and do another run-through as a jerk. Which in and of itself is a testimony to the game's quality, because I never replay games.
The game just strikes me as being very well balanced. There's a good variety of powers, but not so many that you feel overwhelmed and end up not using most of them. And just moving from place to place can be a blast--particularly after you get the static thrusters, and you're jumping between wire slides.
Edwin, I'd say it's definitely worth a look. But you can still try before buying--get the demo. The only drawback of the demo is that it starts you right off with a set of powers that you won't get in the full game until several hours in, so if you play the demo a lot first (like I did), you may miss those powers in the early stages.
--Jefferson Morris

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Just beat this. Dear goodness, Kessler may be the most crazed, strange end villain I have ever encoutered. You get used to story blindsides in video games, but damn, that one caught me completely off guard; and I"m not sure if it made any sense. Still, the story was fun. I'm still playing; I beat the game but several areas still have "red" zones, I'm trying to go back through and pick up all the side missions now..

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Holy cow. I may be the only person who does this, but I will play a game all the way through on Easy to get a feel for the controls, then do medium, then hard. Let me say this: Hard in "inFamous" is the equivelent of God Mode. It is INSANE how difficult enemies are, and some of the ideas touched on in the earlier levels matter.. you have to make sure the reapers/dustmen are freaking dead or at least in the cuffs, otherwise they twitch around for a while and get right the hell back up.. Man!
Infamous from Easy->Medium gets what I believe is the idea of "hard", more side missions required to clear somewhere out, more enemies, more strategy learned from earlier required. But Medium->Hard is just tedious; there aren't really any new things, just the design to kick your a--. Which, to be honest, gets really boring after a while.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Jeff - yeah, that works.

In regards to my thoughts on Hard:

Once you start battling Dustmen in earnest in hard, and that first fight with Alden... Jesus. Forget it. The moment where you defend the prison on hard? Yeah, good luck. The moment I had four or five of the giant trash monsters running around I was thinking: "Screwed".

I have one bug that really p--- me off. No matter which difficuly level, as you climb Alden's tower for that battle.. and you go for the final elevator.. you leap onto the sign to get up (OK) and then leap over to the beam.. I have managed to leap directly through that beam a zillion times; the character literally passes right through it, where their entire side of a body just wiffs.. it's so annoying.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I just beat this game on medium as a good guy.
I am now going to try and beat the game on hard as an evil guy.
I have 50% of the trophies.
and 3 more stunts to unlock.
I loved the ending, and actually watching the ending movie a few times made sense, I think
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

But I loved it!
Really hoping they get a trilogy out of this.
I would really like to find out who Moya
really is.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
It'd be interesting to me to figure out
Who the big bad is that future you - Kessler - runs from originally that he has to "toughen you up" to be ready to face. After all, in the final dialog, he reveals there is some horrible BS that happens and that you run.. and in the end, the evil takes over the world. So, who is this evil? Is it the first sons?

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
MattCR,
I thought that maybe that future bad-ass was...John, after the ray sphere explosion
And yeah, I imagine that prison mission is going to be rough on hard. On medium it was my favorite mission.
Regarding stunts: I got stuck on stunt #14--Flying melee. Seems simple enough--finish an airborne attacker with a melee attack--but I just couldn't do it for some reason. It didn't apply to those flying drones--I took down a bunch of those with melee attacks and never got credited for the stunt.
To those who've done it--how did you do it? I've tried launching guys in the air with shockwave and then punching them again when they get close to the ground, but I never seem to be fast enough to get them, or they're already dead.
--Jefferson Morris

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Finished my second playthrough--a first for me with a game of this length. Beating Kessler on hard was...well, hard. I had to look at some walkthroughs for strategy tips, and it still took me at least half an hour.
I've left one little quadrant of the Warren as enemy territory, in case I want to complete the stunts.
Having played as both good and evil, I'd say there is an advantage to being good--as a good character, I maxed out all my abilities by the time I got to Kessler. With my evil playthrough, I didn't have quite enough experience to do that, even though I was no less thorough in my approach.
--Jefferson Morris

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Whew, finally finished! The ending caught me off guard since my last game save was only 80% complete (due to undiscovered stunts, blast shards, and dead drops). I tried looking around for more stuff, but in an hour or so only ran into one pack of enemies and got bored.

re: the experience thing, you get 3xp for healing a civilian and only 1xp for binding or killing someone, so that might have something to do with it.

What a wacky ending! I might try again, just to see the evil side storyline, but I don't think it'll be on Hard. I have too many other games waiting to be played. Then again, I might not -- I don't really care for playing bad guys in modern video games.

Jefferson, I like your idea about the future evil. We should find out, since I expect a sequel at some point. And that "odd quirk" you found was the method I used, too. You do have to watch out for those flying dudes, though! Incidentally,

In the final battle with Kessler, I couldn't figure out any way to avoid those shockwave attacks that he made after zipping up close. What was I missing?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Jefferson: that trick does work :)

I've never really understood the "level clear" bit, because, now that I've beat Kessler and every side mission is done, I still run into baddies here and there, and I wonder.. how "clear" is "clear" :)

I do really love the feel of this game, it's one of those that I can go back to having beaten it every which way and still ooh and ah at the coolness..

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I think "clear" just means that you won't find those little campouts of bad guys -- they still attack once in a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks