What's new

Power problems (1 Viewer)

wheateater

Auditioning
Real Name
Henry
I am just moving in to a new house which includes a new tv which I would like to use my speaker system with. I am using a Harmon Kardon AVR 145 receiver with 5 NHT surrounds. When I hooked up the receiver with the tv, an old 1990's toshiba big screen, it immediately went into protection mode. Upon further tinkering, I got my speakers to play the tv's audio, but only at volumes so minimal that they are useless.

Is there a way to boost the audio output from the tv? Changing the tv's volume elicits no response, only the receiver's volume bar makes a difference. On my old tv at the old house, I had the receiver connected to the headphone output on the tv which worked great; unfortunately, this other television doesn't have a headphone jack.

I have never had any problems with the receiver before- It has never overheated or gone into protection mode before I plugged it into this tv.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The model number for the TV would be great. A link to the owner's manual would be perfect. But it sounds like you are connecting the receiver to one of the TV's outputs that is variable. You need to find a fixed level audio output on the TV. Even my old 27" Toshiba had these. It's just a matter of finding it.

Your receiver going into protection mode could be anything. Check your speak connections to make sure there are no loose strands of wire touching each other or the receiver's case.

-Robert

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Agreeing with Robert: check the speaker connections at the receiver terminals.

Also check to make sure that the connections at the speakers themselves don't touch each other (all 5 speakers).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks