Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Amazon Trade-In program for DVDs/Blu-Ray/HD-DVDs

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,646 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted May 28 2009 - 02:29 AM

It looks like Amazon.com is currently beta testing a trade-in program for used discs.

Click HERE to see what it's all about.

Looks like you send amazon your old discs and get amazon credit in return. I would assume they will then start re-selling the used discs...but that doesn't seem to be clear from what i can see. It says a third-party is doing the actual "buying."

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#2 of 14 Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?

• 1,216 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Florida

Posted May 29 2009 - 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon
It looks like Amazon.com is currently beta testing a trade-in program for used discs.

Looks like you send amazon your old discs and get amazon credit in return. I would assume they will then start re-selling the used discs...but that doesn't seem to be clear from what i can see. It says a third-party is doing the actual "buying."

Very cool. I've been doing this at Spun.com for years (and I think that's the model they're following), but the trade-in values look slightly better here, and, hey, it's Amazon, you have a much bigger catalogue of items to choose from (and better prices than Spun sells at).

As long as I don't have to pay for shipping, I'm in. I assume the $10 minimum trade-in value is there to justify offering you a shipping label that they pick up the costs for.

#3 of 14 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,646 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted May 29 2009 - 01:57 AM

Yeah. They say a third party merchant is buying the discs. It doesn't say if that third-party merchant, though, will be re-selling the used discs through Amazon or not. They may be reselling them through a separate venue.

But it may be a viable way for people to pick up some credit at amazon and lighten up some of the dead weight in their DVD collection at the same time...assuming they can't move the titles at places like the HTF's own Software for Sale/Trade Forum. I'd suspect people may be able to move popular titles there much more profitably.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#4 of 14 Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?

• 1,216 posts

Posted May 30 2009 - 05:47 AM

As an experiment I looked up what the Amazon trade-in for my Stanley Kubrick Collection box set was - $12.00, then took it to my local Movie Stop for a trade-in value and they came back with $13.50. Also, interestingly enough, if I broke up the set of 5 pics plus doc, I got $18.50 in credit instead, WITHOUT having to trade in the documentary (which you can't get anywhere else). So, I'll stick with my local B&M trade-in for the time being.

P.S. I would NEVER trade in my Stanley Kubricks if I wasn't replacing them with Blu-rays. Just a heads up for Kubrick fans out there.

#5 of 14 Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,448 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted June 04 2009 - 06:15 AM

I noticed this program last week and decided to try it out. Here's my experience.

Picked a number of titles to trade-in. All of the titles I picked were available for trade-in on their online search page, so I added them to the order and submitted. I was taken to a page where I printed a packing list (that goes inside the box) and a pre-paid shipping label (which gets taped on the outside of the box). The shipping is USPS Media.

I dropped the box off at USPS Thursday night (5/28). I was prepared to wait 1-2 weeks.

To my (delighted) surprise, Tuesday (6/2) I received an e-mail from Amazon that the discs had been received and accepted, and that $71 of credit was now available to me. I immediately placed a pre-order for "John Adams" and the new Criterion Seventh Seal - both Blu-Rays - and the credit was automatically applied when I checked out, bringing the grand total of my order to 48 cents!! Posted Image

Clearly, even in its "beta" state the execution of the program is up to Amazon's high standards of service. So let's talk about the prices...

As I added each title to my trade-in order, I also checked what it was going for on eBay. In all cases, the latest eBay sell prices hovered around 3-5 dollars more than the Amazon trade-in price (note: I was trading in TV box sets). Now, while it might seem you'd be better off putting the discs on eBay, remember you have to subtract auction fees (and PayPal fees as well, if you use it). Then there's the time investment of managing individual auctions, and prepping and mailing numerous packages (not to mention dealing with the occasional bad buyer). Time is money, so in my opinion you need to factor that in as well. For me, the fact that the whole process ate less than 20 minutes of my time (for 8 titles) is a big selling point.

Another potential downside to some might be that you're getting Amazon credit instead of cash. To me, that's a non-issue. I buy 80-90% of my discs from Amazon, not to mention books, CDs, camera equipment, computer peripherals, and various other items. As an active user of Amazon Prime, Amazon credit is as good to me as cash. YMMV.

All in all, I was very pleased with the Amazon service, and will be using it again. The service is easy to use and I got my credit much quicker than I expected to. The trade-in value is fair given the convenience of the program. I would recommend it to anyone who doesn't want to hassle with eBay, and who doesn't have a good B&M trade-in option like Wayne described.

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#6 of 14 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,646 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted June 04 2009 - 06:33 AM

Craig: That is an excellent description review of the service. Glad to hear you had such a good experience. I may need to give it a try sometime. Sounds like a great way to go with blind-buys-that-go-bad. Posted Image

#7 of 14 MarkBirds

MarkBirds

Stunt Coordinator

• 180 posts

Posted June 04 2009 - 07:02 AM

Quote:
Craig: That is an excellent description review of the service. Glad to hear you had such a good experience. I may need to give it a try sometime. Sounds like a great way to go with blind-buys-that-go-bad. Posted Image

Blind Buys That Go Bad -- Coming this fall to FOX!!!
I loves me some zombies.

#8 of 14 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,489 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted June 04 2009 - 08:49 AM

I've traded in a couple of boxes of discs at Secondspin.com before. They offer either store credit or cash (via check). No problems with them. I have another box nearly full, I'll have to compare the trade-in values with Amazon.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#9 of 14 Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?

• 1,216 posts

Posted June 04 2009 - 10:07 AM

Another issue I'm finding with the Amazon trade-in program is that they don't buy or even offer to buy every DVD that they also sell. I wanted to trade in my individual The Prisoner sets for basically an even trade to get The Prisoner megaset, but you can't find those individual sets in the trade-in search. But they still offer them for sale. I also looked for a trade-in option by going directly to the single sets for sale, but there wasn't any trade-in option listed there. My local B&M offers about $10 a pop for these, but it would have been nice to do basically a straight trade on Amazon (where the megaset sells for $57).

It's still a good program and I will no doubt use it, but I am discovering some limitations.

#10 of 14 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 4,964 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted June 07 2009 - 05:22 AM

I just did a quick check on a few titles. I got the following results:
The Mummy (2 disc-Frazier ver)----$1.75
Cloverfield-------------------------4.75
Reign of Fire-----------------------___
Ghost (whoopi)--------------------5.25
Ratatouille-------------------------___
Kung Fu Panda---------------------1.75

All except Ghost are SD, that quote for Ghost is BD. Of course I won't be getting rid of that. The ones without a price are not available for trade-in. I find it odd that a fairly recent and excellent movie like Ratatouille is not available. The price for Kung Fu Panda is way low.

I had been thinking of getting rid of some of my SD discs on ebay, but Amazon sure would be more convenient, except that they don't take every disc and these prices don't seem that great. I've not looked into what ebay would net me. The only experience I have is that the few times I've bid on something, there has always been someone bidding the item up to or over what the item would cost retail. If you're a seller, that's good for you.

I think for DVDs that won't happen. I was considering not selling individual titles but bundling 3 movies together.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#11 of 14 sestamuch

sestamuch

Stunt Coordinator

• 246 posts

Posted June 07 2009 - 06:00 PM

Quote:

Great news, I hope they get this right I can see this working and coming in handy.

#12 of 14 Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?

• 1,216 posts

Posted June 08 2009 - 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywoodaholic
Another issue I'm finding with the Amazon trade-in program is that they don't buy or even offer to buy every DVD that they also sell. I wanted to trade in my individual The Prisoner sets for basically an even trade to get The Prisoner megaset, but you can't find those individual sets in the trade-in search. But they still offer them for sale. I also looked for a trade-in option by going directly to the single sets for sale, but there wasn't any trade-in option listed there. My local B&M offers about $10 a pop for these, but it would have been nice to do basically a straight trade on Amazon (where the megaset sells for $57).

It's still a good program and I will no doubt use it, but I am discovering some limitations.

The Prisoner DVD news: Announcement for The Prisoner - Complete Series (Blu-ray) | TVShowsOnDVD.com

Yikes, it's coming out on Blu-ray in October. New plan.

#13 of 14 angelad

angelad

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted June 14 2009 - 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sestamuch
Great Posted Imagenews, I hope they get this right I can see this working and coming in handy.

Definitely excited, although I'm not sure how this would work

#14 of 14 MarkBirds

MarkBirds

Stunt Coordinator

• 180 posts

Posted June 14 2009 - 04:20 PM

Okay, here's a head-scratcher:

Zodiac Director's Cut DVD trade-in value = $8.75

Zodiac Director's Cut Blu-ray trade-in value = $8

Huh?
I loves me some zombies.

Back to Bargains and Deals