What's new

Does anyone shoot 2.35:1 Native? (1 Viewer)

Elfmaze

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
I went to the theater for the first time in a long while and remembered how much i loved the wide screen. Currently i am using a 4:3 projector i've had since high school and is comming up on the end of its bulb life. I am looking to replace it.

I am using framed blackout cloth for my screen. And the 4:3 screen has work so beautifully i figured i would just get a new screen made to the 16:9 format. As big as i can get within the restricted vertical limits of a yard of fabric. The 16:9 projectors are easy to find now and seemes to be the way things are going right now.

BUT after last night i got to thinking what if i made the screen the biggest it could be in 2.35:1 get that nice immersive theater screen. But a quick google search did not come up with any native "theater" style projectors.

I have picked up something about lensing(anamorphic) to get the proper ratio but i don't know much about it yet.

Are there people who run a native 2.35:1? I wouldn't want to run a cropped 16:9 its whole life because i see that as a waist of the projectors light and resolution capabilities.

Elfmaze

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
Maby my logic is backwards on second thought. If going by the THX standards and recomendations a 40* field of view on a cinema ratio vs. a widescreen would be the same width i would just be making it not as tall going with the wider ratio.

So maby it is better to stay with widescreen and make it taller to fit inside the field of view?

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I think the only way to accomplish this is with the lens you mentioned. If you do a search on "constant height" you should find lots of information on using a projector with the anamorphic lens to get a 2.35:1 constant height experience.

Elfmaze

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
WOW anamorphic lenses have no reason to be that expensive do they? a lense should not cost more than the projector itself. But who am i to question it. I did find a good alternative though i guess it does crop a bit. the panasonic PT-AE3000 Panasonic PT-AE3000 Projector Review Looks like a very cool machine.

I will go with the 2.35:1 screen on my rebuild it seems!

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

How much is a good piece of glass for a camera lens? Generally north of $1000. Now make the lens bigger to accommodate the projector ...

Now add in economies of scale ...

Who gets to say how much a lens should cost? Should it cost $300 because you have a $600 projector? Or $6000 because you have a $20000 projector?

regards

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks