-

Photo
- - - - -

How to find a D-Theater (Hi-Def VHS) player?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,020 posts

Posted May 25 2009 - 09:35 PM

Just how rare are these things? As an aficionado of failed formats, I've collected a few working CED videodisc players and every title put out on the format, and over the last year have been getting all the cheap HD-DVDs I can find. I've managed to find 4 D-Theater movies (a few showed up at Big Lots a couple years ago) but it seems impossible to find anything to play them on. Every time I've checked EBay for them, a few tapes come up but no machines. I don't know if any that do get sold go for a lot of money, or are just regarded as junk by most people (I'm hoping the latter since I don't have a lot of money to spend.)

I know the tapes will only play on "D-Theater" machines- there are several other machines that are just D-VHS but those are only good for recording things in digital. If I'm not mistaken, just like early DVD players, encoding for DTS sound was a later addition and the first models of D-Theater decks won't output it.
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate

Screenwriter

• 2,934 posts

Posted May 26 2009 - 02:31 AM

I tried looking on Craig's list, ebay and it's scarced. But certainly give ebay a try.
Listen Up People.., Rack Em and Pack Em.., We're Phantoms in 15.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   David Norman

David Norman

Screenwriter

• 1,992 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted May 26 2009 - 02:08 PM

I guess the question would be which players are fully capable since there were so few models in general -- the best list I could come up with is below, but feel free to add or subtract.

I haven't looked on Ebay recently but I remember seeing a number of 40K and DH5U regularly a couple years ago -- checking today I see a number of 30K players, but not the newer players. avsforum.com used to have a pretty active DVHS community and the players would show up for sale occasionally.

I think these models are fully D-Theater capable.
JVC HM-DH40000U (one sold on Ebay a couple days ago and another 2 weeks ago for around $150)
JVC HM-DH5U (last one sold a week ago for $400 and looks like one available currently on avsforum in the classifieds but not cheap)
JVC HM-DT100U
Marantz MV-8300 (basically 40K clone, but much more uncommon -- I came close to buying one a couple years ago, but opted for the Mits HD2000)

D-Theater without alternate audio capability (no DTS)
JVC HM-30000U

DVHS without D-Theater
Mitsubishi HS-HD1100U
Mitsubishi HS-HD2000U -- my vote for best consumer SVHS recorder ever made (along with the Sony 1000). I have 2 of these Mits that probably would sell for more on Ebay today over 4-5 years after I bought them as new old stock.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Rob W

Rob W

Second Unit

• 465 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted May 26 2009 - 03:05 PM

I have the HM-DH5U . I think it has held it's value in the resale market as it will decode DTS and is the only model with HDMI as well as component out.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   sestamuch

sestamuch

Stunt Coordinator

• 246 posts

Posted May 28 2009 - 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Norman
I guess the question would be which players are fully capable since there were so few models in general -- the best list I could come up with is below, but feel free to add or subtract.

I haven't looked on Ebay recently but I remember seeing a number of 40K and DH5U regularly a couple years ago -- checking today I see a number of 30K players, but not the newer players. avsforum.com used to have a pretty active DVHS community and the players would show up for sale occasionally.

I think these models are fully D-Theater capable.
JVC HM-DH40000U (one sold on Ebay a couple days ago and another 2 weeks ago for around $150)
JVC HM-DH5U (last one sold a week ago for $400 and looks like one available currently on avsforum in the classifieds but not cheap)
JVC HM-DT100U
Marantz MV-8300 (basically 40K clone, but much more uncommon -- I came close to buying one a couple years ago, but opted for the Mits HD2000)

D-Theater without alternate audio capability (no DTS)
JVC HM-30000U

DVHS without D-Theater
Mitsubishi HS-HD1100U
Mitsubishi HS-HD2000U -- my vote for best consumer SVHS recorder ever made (along with the Sony 1000). I have 2 of these Mits that probably would sell for more on Ebay today over 4-5 years after I bought them as new old stock.

Definitely check ebay...

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,020 posts

Posted May 28 2009 - 09:32 PM

Hmm- they seem to be coming out of the woodwork, but I don't have any money to blow right now! Guess I'll have to keep watching more carefully.
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc