What's new

Buck Rogers in the 25th Century The Complete Series (Re-Release) (1 Viewer)

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Just for everyone's information, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century is getting re-released on June 14th, slightly over two weeks away. Nothing is known about the format of this set, other than it will be released on DVD.

Hopefully, it will be released on single sided DVD's and in thinpack format. Best Buy has it advertised for $24.99 and you can also Pre-Order at Amazon for $18.99:

Amazon.com: Buck Rogers in the 25th Century: The Complete Epic Series: Movies & TV

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I hope that this is the thinpack release and has single sided disks. I really hated the design of the packaging for the original Buck Rogers set. I know I'll be ordering this one as well.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Shoot, and I picked up the original set on sale last year!

I'd gladly pay extra to see Col. Deering kick butt on Blu-Ray though! :D

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I would get this if it has single-sided discs. A few episodes on the double-sided discs set still have interruptions that prevent playing all the way through. Hopefully, double-sided discs will all be replaced in the coming years. They were a bad idea in the first place.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
There were many reported problems at the time of the release. Overall, it's a very nice set, and would have been even better but for the double-sided discs.

Also, it is worth noting that the original TV premiere has never been released on DVD. The box set contains the theatrical release, but not the different cut that aired as the first episode, which included scenes missing from the theatrical cut.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano

Why companies used double sided discs is beyond me. Kojak, Battlestar Galactica(1978), the A Team, V, and a number of other shows suffered from this.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Studios used double sided disks because they thought it would save the studio more money on producing boxed sets of their TV shows.

As they soon discovered, the complaints far outweighed the cost benefit ratio that they predicted. I believe it was ADV that first started using these double sided disks when playback problems started occuring then Universal, Warner Brothers and many other studios began using them until consumers started avoiding these sets.

It might also explain why titles like A-Team, Pretender, Magnum P.I., Murder She Wrote, Columbo, Knight Rider and many others had playback defects where the DVD would merely pause and halt the playback of the disk.

I'm hoping that studios are going to re-release a lot of their titles as singled sided DVD's and give the consumer what they've been wanting in the first place.

I'm still waiting for a new release of the Original Battlestar Galactica without the double sided DVD's. WHile Buck Rogers has been announced as a re-release, I'm hoping that the original Battlestar Galactica gets a similar re-release.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I think Battlestar Galactica didn't present similar problems to other Universal releases because the discs they used there were I believe DVD-9 rather than DVD-18.

If BR is being re-issued on single sided discs, even though I had no issues when I went through them several years ago, I will in all likelihood get it.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I hear ya, Dave.

To date, I still haven't been able to find a pic or scan of the new set. Neither Amazon, Best Buy, Overstock, Digital Bits nor any retailer I've searched has a cover listed ... I'm hoping that this set has singled sided DVD's. What I'm psyched about is the fact that this set is priced low, at $25, and Amazon has it set it $19.

I'm still searching for news on a re-release of Battlestar Galactica.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I'm wondering if it's just a repackage of the original disks. I almost picked it up not too long ago at Walmart, glad I held up, but I still cry when I go to walmart and see all those fox sets I payed big bucks for now being dumped for 2 for twenty. Especially Big Valley I hate fox for dumping the series I hope they will license it out.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
This could also just be a repricing of the original sets. I picked this up at Amazon for $19 a few weeks ago in the original packaging (which isn't THAT bad). Much better than the original pricing!

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

Tread carefully, here. I have an overwhelming love of 70's nostalgia, and I had a REAL hard time swallowing this pill. Loved it as a kid, but didn't think it stood the test of time at all.

Rodrick

Second Unit
Hay. Well lookit the Gilligan's Island all 3 seasons all doublesided. Couldn't they fix the mistake from the first season?

I'll buy Gilligan again if they come in a single sided.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
God. This is why I hate ALL RETAILERS AND THE STUDIOS. The set has available become available as retailers are listing it. However, no stores are carrying it in stock, B/M, and no websites have any images of the set nor do they list any information about the set.

Universal sucks. Not even Gord or Dave know anything about this release.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I hadn't seen this since it first aired and wasn't all that driven to buy it when it became available years ago. Picked it up for $20 and have been enjoying it quite a bit. Sure it's cheesy, the stock shots are way too recycled, but it's still a fun little show. Be dee be dee.

The same can't be said for The Starlost, which I am having a painful time getting through. There's cheese, and then there's CHEESE.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Amazon has the old release for $15 but I've been trying to dig up some information on the re-release. It's poor marketing by Universal not to release any information about the set. I need to replace mine but I won't buy either set because I don't know anything about the specs on the new set.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
My only disappointment with the original set was the aforementioned exclusion of the TV version of the pilot. There's only one episode on Side B of the last disc, so they certainly had room for both cuts. The TV version of the pilot is actually up on Hulu (in it's 2-part version), but it would be nice to have it on DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks