-

Photo

African Queen in October???? (Now taken off schedule; see post 31)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
68 replies to this topic

#1 of 69 RafaelPires

RafaelPires

Second Unit

• 478 posts

Posted May 22 2009 - 06:28 AM

Movies Unimited is announing the release of African Queen (as part of the Paramont Centennial Collection) for 10/13/09. Can not believe this is true. Finally!!!!

#2 of 69 smithb

smithb

Screenwriter

• 1,536 posts

Posted May 22 2009 - 06:46 AM

It's about time, but do you have to buy a collection to get it? Do you have a link to more information about the release?

I currently have an R2 version. It would be interesting to see if they took some time to remaster it.

#3 of 69 Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted May 22 2009 - 07:01 AM

Do you have a link? I couldn't find anything on their webpage.

#4 of 69 RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,274 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted May 22 2009 - 07:18 AM

The African Queen (Paramount Centennial Collection) by on DVD starring Humphrey Bogart, Katharine Hepburn, Robert Morley at Movies Unlimited

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#5 of 69 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,802 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted May 22 2009 - 07:32 AM

Good news!
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithb
It's about time, but do you have to buy a collection to get it?
As far as I know, the Centennial Collection is just a name they use for some of their classic titles (not an actual box set).

#6 of 69 borisfw

borisfw

Supporting Actor

• 834 posts

Posted May 22 2009 - 08:37 AM

It's about time.

#7 of 69 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,146 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted May 22 2009 - 09:35 AM

It only took 13 years into the format. Posted Image

I'll be shocked if there's not a day-and-date Blu-ray release.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#8 of 69 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,445 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted May 22 2009 - 09:46 AM

Prepare to be shocked (I suspect).
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#9 of 69 smithb

smithb

Screenwriter

• 1,536 posts

Posted May 22 2009 - 09:53 AM

Even though I don't have a BR player yet. I would probably just as well wait for this one until I do. I've waited this long hopefully just a little longer will get me a BR release.

#10 of 69 Livius

Livius

Second Unit

• 407 posts

Posted May 22 2009 - 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway
It only took 13 years into the format. Posted Image

Actually it's been available for a long, long time....just not in R1.
Riding the High Country - My Movie Blog

#11 of 69 WadeM

WadeM

Supporting Actor

• 894 posts

Posted May 22 2009 - 11:12 AM

Weren't they doing some kind of big restoration on this one??

Anyway, it's about time!

#12 of 69 Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted May 22 2009 - 11:36 AM

This is good news.
I hope Paramount will release a Blu-ray, but I'll be content with a region 1 DVD at the proper pitch.

#13 of 69 David Norman

David Norman

Screenwriter

• 1,984 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted May 22 2009 - 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livius
Actually it's been available for a long, long time....just not in R1.

I still think this is one of the coolest LD Boxsets ever released. Hardcover edition of Hepburn's book, shooting script, several lobby cards, big textured Green Box with Hepburn/Bogart dead center. Only cost me $65 in 1993

I hope the Blu Ray does that set proud.

#14 of 69 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,696 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted May 22 2009 - 02:35 PM

Blu-ray day and date with the SD. This is Paramount we are talking about, so don't hold your breath. I love how they call this a Paramount Centennial Classic, since it was released by United Artists, but then Universal calls their Paramount films Universal Backlot Series. This is also the first Paramount Centennial Classic release that has not been previously released on DVD. Hope this is a sign of things to come, but then this is Paramount.

I am delighted with this news and cannot wait until it arrives. Thank you Paramount.

PS - You are right David about the laserdisc box being so cool. I may not get rid of mine even when the DVD comes out.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#15 of 69 Simon Howson

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

• 1,779 posts

Posted May 22 2009 - 03:50 PM

This is great news! My guess is they'll do a DVD this year, and then start up a line of "Centennial Blu-ray Editions" to reissue this, and a bunch of Audrey Hepburn films, next year. Posted Image

A Blu-ray of To Catch a Thief would be most welcome, we know that the Centennial Collection DVD (i.e. the THIRD reissue, excluding those in different packaging) version finally got it right.

#16 of 69 Richard M S

Richard M S

Supporting Actor

• 625 posts

Posted May 22 2009 - 03:54 PM

They usually release the Centennial Collection films in pairs, so I wonder what else (if anything) is coming out with it on that day.

#17 of 69 Simon Howson

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

• 1,779 posts

Posted May 22 2009 - 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard M S
They usually release the Centennial Collection films in pairs, so I wonder what else (if anything) is coming out with it on that day.
Something new I hope.

A restored version of One Eyed Jacks perhaps? Posted Image

#18 of 69 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,146 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted May 22 2009 - 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hodson
Prepare to be shocked (I suspect).
You know, if it was any other studio I'd stand by my original statement. But now after thinking about how it's a release from Paramount....

Other than The Godfather Trilogy they haven't exactly been releasing pre-80s catalog titles on Blu-ray. It would truly be a missed opportunity if they don't here.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#19 of 69 Simon Howson

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

• 1,779 posts

Posted May 22 2009 - 06:01 PM

Quote:
You know, if it was any other studio I'd stand by my original statement. But now after thinking about how it's a release from Paramount....

Other than The Godfather Trilogy they haven't exactly been releasing pre-80s catalog titles on Blu-ray. It would truly be a missed opportunity if they don't here.
Paramount absolutely loves reissues remember. So they'll do a DVD first, and then a Blu-ray a year or so later.

They don't have an ethos of just doing things as well as possible, given available technology, the first time.

#20 of 69 Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,717 posts

Posted May 23 2009 - 01:28 AM

Quote:

Have you not see the Blu-ray of 3 Days of the Condor?
come see the reviews at
http://thedvdlounge.com/

and the Seinfeld Tour Bus

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow