What's new

Gruber's predictions for WWDC, place yours! (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Daring Fireball: The Next iPhone

Here's my predictions (and note I've never been remotely close to right!)
-Almost TOTAL snoozefest from a consumer point of view but lots Devs will dig-

-iPhone RAM, CPU, Storage bumps snoozer, intro of external devices through dock is the big 'wow' (think keyboards). No iPhone Mini and no other phone carriers like Verizon. Tethering however gets official and destroys the market the MiFi had to itself for 2 weeks. Apple TV not even mentioned
-No tablet, no consumer refreshes but Mac Pro will get a 16 processor build to shake things up with Snow Leopard
-Snow Leopard features are 75% of the talk with only 'wow' being UI improvements but a lot for devs to like under the hood.

All that snoozing then one more thing outta left field
-Refresh to Final Cut studio which makes the pro apps a lot more like the changes to iMovie. BluRay Authoring gets embraced. Blu BTO option for Mac Pro ONLY.
-iLife '09 free add on refresh includes update to iDVD which finally allows BluRay playback but not recording, external drives only supported now for consumer line.
(If I keep predicting it eventually I'll be right!)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I consider the current iPod nano perfect. It's small enough to be used everywhere (gym, yardwork, office, travel), while having a screen large enough to let me watch movies. With 16 GB of storage, it holds my entire music library, a full suite of podcasts, and several DVDs. And the battery lasts long enough that I don't think about it, except for week-long trips. I don't need anything more from a portable "music" device.

Reading DF's iPhone predicts, I thought this could be the perfection of the iPhone, in similar fashion. It will do everything most anyone needs, and do it fast enough, with enough storage and battery life, that "normal" users won't encounter computing barriers in any practical way.

Ok, not quite perfect. It's still only for AT&T customers. The iPhone will be perfect when I can get it on Verizon.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

The Nano is probably the best Ipod they offer now, it's the only one with a crossfade feature, I think it's the best sounding one in the lineup too, although it still pales to my Cowon S9. For the Ipod Touch/Phone to be perfect.. they need to improve the sound quality, and the screen... the S9 has a gorgeous AMOLED screen. And not only does it look like a little Plasma TV in clarity and color, but the dang thing lasts near 50 hours listening to music and 11 hours for vids. Now think about how the Phone would benefit from the low power consumption, not to mention how vids would look on it compared to the dull and lifeless look now. Everything else about the phone/Touch is great, fantastic apps and games better than I ever thought they could be. Just fix the main purpose of Music and Vids.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Having absolutely ZERO insider information, I'm going to leave the predictions to those more qualified.

I will however offer a slight variant to the thread title: here's what I *hope* will be announced (obviously tied to my purchasing preferences):

1. Min 32GB iPhone, hoping for 64GB (very unlikely), with video and MMS. Couple this with a price drop in either the rate plan or the subsidized phone.
2. 64GB flash-memory based iPod (again very unlikely)
3. New version of Logic Studio (not a .x build, but a whole new version)
4. Nehalem in either the Macbook Pro or iMac line

Of course, I'll likely strike out on all four. So at least I'll have good disposable income for the next 6-12 months! :D

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I predict that Apple will release something that will cause me to give them more money.

I already have an iMac, an iPhone, and an AppleTV. I also see a Macbook in my future as well. Curse you Steve Jobs!!!!

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
I would love it if they came out with a new Nano, not because I'd buy it, but because they would knock at least $50 off the existing models. I don't need a stupid camera in my Nano. The existing model is damn near perfect. Drop the price by $50 and I would dump my 2G Nano right now.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
More broadly, I want and expect Snow Leopard (10.6) release info. My wife gets a new Mac this year and I'm making her wait until SL is out. And when she gets her new Mac, I get her 20" Cinema Display for my MBP and I get to upgrade iLife and iWork! So we both suffer until Apple releases SL.

And having now watched about 30 episodes of TV on my iPod nano, I'm more convinced of its awesomeness! But I don't need a new model to lust after; I just got this one five months ago.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen

o_O

Holy crap! I made the same prediction!! What odds?!!?!?

;)

Yeah, I converted to Mac last year (gods, I *love* my iMac!) and also obtained a sexy sexy iPhone. Macbook for the wife (that's my story) soon to follow...

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
The iPhone will likely increase to 32GB, but will not be 64GB. The iPod Touch will go to 64GB, but not at WWDC -- the iPods will be refreshed in September. The reason the Touch has double the storage capacity of the iPhone is that it holds just one chip, vs. two in the Touch. Yes on video & MMS, maybe on the prices (possibly a cheaper plan option).

Otherwise, my predictions: what Gruber said. Anyway WWDC is going to be 99% about iPhone 3.0 and Snow Leopard. If you are expecting something else: don't.

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor
Looking forward to seeing what the new iPhone model will be like - the local phone shop have said they're definitely expecting an iPhone update in June. I think later in the year I'm finally going to buy an iPhone (when my contract with my current provider comes to an end).

Shane D

Supporting Actor
over on ars someone said the newest beta of 3.0 had references to a iphone 2,1. The first phone was 1,1, the 3g was 1,2. Most are thinking a small upgrade would be 1,3, and the fact its a 2,1, means there might be more major guts upgrade then people think.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Let the speed bumps begin...according to Macrumors they just quietly bumped up the "white" Macbook (from 2.0 to 2.16 GHz CPU; 667 to 800MHz RAM; 120GB to 160GB HD). Word is Macbook Air may be upgraded to include 3G. That might actually be enough to get me to spring for one for travel use.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
An argument can be made that is indeed the case from current rumors: the only things that changed from the original to the 3G iPhone were the addition of GPS and 3G. Meanwhile, this time around you are getting a much faster CPU, 256MB RAM (up from 128), better still/video camera, compass and faster 3.5G.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
I already thought the white MacBook was a great buy with the old specs. These "quiet" updates make it an even better value and very hard to justify the extra $300 for the entry level aluminum model.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Macmall just sent me an ad for the new Macbook this morning.

$929 ($999 list)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The latest MacBreak Weekly is adding strength to the rumor that Verizon will get an iPhone in June.

I don't believe it, but it would exceptional (if personally expensive) news if true.

Users who are viewing this thread