Jump to content



Sign up for a free account to remove the pop-up ads

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Do all of these remakes help in getting OAR video releases of the original films?


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
56 replies to this topic

#1 of 57 OFFLINE   chas speed

chas speed

    Second Unit



  • 411 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 28 2007

Posted May 16 2009 - 04:30 PM

Congress should at least pass a law declaring that all remakes should have to come up with new titles. I am now ashamed to mention any of my favorite films because people think I'm talking about the stupid remakes.

#2 of 57 OFFLINE   Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

    Producer



  • 6,001 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 05 2003

Posted May 17 2009 - 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
As big of a fan as I am with the original, I wouldn't make my final judgement about this remake based on the trailer.

I'm making my judgment (well, at least not to see it at all) based on how great the original already is. We did not need a second putrid TV Movie version of this in the 1990s and we don't need a third version now.

Quote:
Because in this case, beyond us film buffs and those of us that were going to movies around the time this original film was made, few of todays movie-going public knows anything about the original.

And this problem is not becoming rectified by continuously re-re-re-making older movies just because today's audiences are only into "what's new". If they'd learn to be more sophisticated and seek out past gems, they wouldn't be so clueless.

#3 of 57 OFFLINE   Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

    Producer



  • 6,001 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 05 2003

Posted May 17 2009 - 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas speed
Congress should at least pass a law declaring that all remakes should have to come up with new titles. I am now ashamed to mention any of my favorite films because people think I'm talking about the stupid remakes.

Absolutely. At the very least, whenever we're stuck with more remakes, they should have the decency of using a different title to distinguish one version more readily from another.

"So what did you think of PLANET OF THE APES? No, no, no -- I meant the 1968 version with Charlton Heston...?"

#4 of 57 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

    Studio Mogul



  • 25,082 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 09 1998
  • Real Name:Robert
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 17 2009 - 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Karlosi
I'm making my judgment (well, at least not to see it at all) based on how great the original already is. We did not need a putrid TV Movie version of this in the 1990s and we don't need a third version now.
For most people, one has nothing to do with the other because very few people (except HTF members) I talked to about the 2009 release know anything about the original.

By the way, anybody seen the 1998 television movie?

Crawdaddy

 

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

 


#5 of 57 OFFLINE   Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

    Producer



  • 6,001 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 05 2003

Posted May 17 2009 - 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito34
I too don't see the point in getting upset about a remake: just don't go to see it.

Oh, I won't. But guess what? That won't stop Hollywood from churning them out anyway. And it won't change the fact that once PELHAM VERSION 3 is released, forevermore every time the film's mentioned it will conjure up images of Denzel Washington and John Travolta instead of Walter Matthau and Robert Shaw (and does anyone really think that John Travolta can replace Robert Shaw???).

It's like when people say "if you don't like what's on the radio or TV, change the channel". But they forget that much of the rest of the world AREN'T tuning out, and as a result the few who are will still be getting saddled with all the crap.

Quote:
If anything, remakes help get mediocre DVDs of the originals re-released.

That is the only solace and bright side to this. But it's a shame it has to come to revamping a classic to get it properly issued on DVD or Blu-ray.

#6 of 57 OFFLINE   Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

    Producer



  • 6,001 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 05 2003

Posted May 17 2009 - 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
For most people, one has nothing to do with the other because very few people (except HTF members) I talked to about the 2009 release know anything about the original.

By the way, anybody seen the 1998 television movie?

I saw half of it. It was pitiful, and I don't just mean that as a pre-determined conclusion. I couldn't watch the second half. But naturally the TV movie is going to be relatively obscure (thankfully) to a huge theatrical version like the new one.

#7 of 57 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

    Studio Mogul



  • 25,082 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 09 1998
  • Real Name:Robert
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 17 2009 - 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Karlosi
I saw half of it. It was pitiful, and I don't just mean that as a pre-determined conclusion. I couldn't watch the second half. But naturally the TV movie is going to be relatively obscure (thankfully) to a huge theatrical version like the new one.
However, the new theatrical version will shed some renew light/interest on the original which up to now has been forgotton except for a few select few like yourself.

Crawdaddy

 

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

 


#8 of 57 OFFLINE   Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

    Producer



  • 6,001 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 05 2003

Posted May 17 2009 - 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
When was the last time Denzil Washington been in an awful film?

JOHN Q, for my money.

Then again, my first and favorite Denzel Washington film was CARBON COPY (1981). But mostly for George Segal.

#9 of 57 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

    Studio Mogul



  • 25,082 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 09 1998
  • Real Name:Robert
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 17 2009 - 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Karlosi
JOHN Q, for my money.

Then again, my first and favorite Denzel Washington film was CARBON COPY (1981). But mostly for George Segal.
Now that's a terrible film.

Crawdaddy

 

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

 


#10 of 57 OFFLINE   Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

    Producer



  • 6,001 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 05 2003

Posted May 17 2009 - 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_B
I never understand why people get so bent out of shape when an old movie is remade for a younger modern audience. Now if they were going to gather every copy of the original and burn them in a huge bonfire on the night the new version is premiered then you might have something to get upset about. That's not gonna happen. If you don't like the new version then just ignore it. It won't effect the original in any way whatsoever.

First of all, I have to disagree, in that sometimes - though it is very rare, luckily - a modernized remake DOES affect the original. It often replaces the original in the minds of the general public.

And I never understand why people get so bent out of shape that some people are fed up to their eyeballs with needless modernized remakes. You're still going to have your remake even if we get bent about it, right?

#11 of 57 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

    Studio Mogul



  • 25,082 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 09 1998
  • Real Name:Robert
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 17 2009 - 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Karlosi
First of all, I have to disagree, in that sometimes - though it is very rare, luckily - a modernized remake DOES affect the original. It often replaces the original in the minds of the general public.

And I never understand why people get so bent out of shape that some people are fed up to their eyeballs with needless modernized remakes. You're still going to have your remake even if we get bent about it, right?
You got that right!

Crawdaddy

 

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

 


#12 of 57 OFFLINE   Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

    Producer



  • 6,001 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 05 2003

Posted May 17 2009 - 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
However, the new theatrical version will shed some renew light/interest on the original which up to now has been forgotton except for a few select few like yourself.

As I added above in my last response to you (I think you may have missed it since you were responding to the first half at the same time) this should not be necessary for today's dumbed-down society who are only interested in "what's NOW"? It doesn't help the situation if everyone caters to their ignorance instead of helping them gain more sophistication by seeking out older titles and historical films/books/music, etc..

#13 of 57 OFFLINE   Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

    Producer



  • 6,001 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 05 2003

Posted May 17 2009 - 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
Now that's a terrible film.

Objectively, technically, I suppose so. But Segal cracks me up in it and I enjoy it. (Don't need it to be remade today by the way - though at least luckily in this case they probably couldn't).

#14 of 57 OFFLINE   Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

    Producer



  • 6,001 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 05 2003

Posted May 17 2009 - 01:28 AM

You're still going to have your remake even if we get bent about it, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford

You got that right!

And I shall continue to "whine" about them, along with other members who have good taste, in spite of it.

#15 of 57 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

    Studio Mogul



  • 25,082 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 09 1998
  • Real Name:Robert
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 17 2009 - 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Karlosi
And I shall continue to "whine" about them, along with other members who have good taste, in spite of it.
Are you trying to imply that I or others don't have good taste because we're looking forward to watching the remake? By the way, I don't care if you "whine" about them because it's good for business here.

Crawdaddy

 

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

 


#16 of 57 OFFLINE   Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

    Producer



  • 6,001 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 05 2003

Posted May 17 2009 - 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
Are you trying to imply that I or others don't have good taste because we're looking forward to watching the remake?

I think it's in bad taste to see this needless third version, if you happen to be someone who thought the 1974 original nailed it.

#17 of 57 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

    Studio Mogul



  • 25,082 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 09 1998
  • Real Name:Robert
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 17 2009 - 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Karlosi
I think it's in bad taste to see this needless third version, if you happen to be someone who thought the 1974 original nailed it.
You don't know me well enough to evaluate my film taste. Just speak for yourself and we'll be fine.

Crawdaddy

 

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

 


#18 of 57 OFFLINE   Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

    Producer



  • 6,001 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 05 2003

Posted May 17 2009 - 01:45 AM

Quote:
You don't know me well enough to evaluate my film taste. Just speak for yourself and we'll be fine.

Robert, you are right when you say this is good for business, and this back and forth here is at least interesting for a thread (I look foward to others' responses too here by the way, both pro and con).

Also, I do have some idea of your film tastes because I read this forum - but aside from that observation, I have NOT at all evaluated/criticized your taste in movies here, not at all! On the contrary, if anything it is YOU who evaluated/criticized MINE, if you want to get techincal (after all, it was you who said "Now that is a terrible film" when I mentioned I enjoyed CARBON COBY).

And also something which should be kept in mind -- I am speaking solely for myself. I'm one of those people who feels it should be understood and not required to type "IMHO" after every sentence on message boards. It is my opinion that it's in bad taste to want to see this remake if you (the "general" you meaning anyone) like the original. In my humble opinion, with sugar on top.

#19 of 57 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

    Studio Mogul



  • 25,082 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 09 1998
  • Real Name:Robert
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 17 2009 - 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Karlosi
Robert, you are right when you say this is good for business, and this back and forth here is at least interesting for a thread (I look foward to others' responses too here by the way, both pro and con).

Also, I do have some idea of your film tastes because I read this forum - but aside from that observation, I have NOT at all evaluated/criticized your taste in movies here, not at all! On the contrary, if anything it is YOU who evaluated/criticized MINE, if you want to get techincal (after all, it was you who said "Now that is a terrible film" when I mentioned I enjoyed CARBON COBY).

And also something which should be kept in mind -- I am speaking solely for myself. I'm one of those people who feels it should be understood and not required to type "IMHO" after every sentence on message boards.
I gave my opinion that "Carbon Copy" is a terrible film. I never mentioned your taste in film so let's not confuse the personal issue here. I don't have a problem with your opinion about remakes, but I don't care to read your opinion about me or my personal film taste. You don't know me well enough to make such a personal judgement about me. As I told members here for years, if you argue the issue instead of making personal references towards those you're debating, you'll be fine. I didn't like nor appreciate you trying to grade my taste in film because frankly, you know very little about me except that I'm a film buff.

Crawdaddy

 

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

 


#20 of 57 OFFLINE   Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

    Producer



  • 6,001 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 05 2003

Posted May 17 2009 - 02:04 AM

I don't see the point in repeating myself on the above, but meanings on written message boards are not always easy to convey and obviously you've misunderstood me. I have not mentioned your taste in films, though I do think it's fair to say one can properly see what types of movies members like and don't like (more or less) by reading their writings on a movie forum from day to day.

The new PELHAM isn't even released yet and nobody has seen it, so surely I can't make any kind of real critical evaluation on the movie itself, nor toward anyone for liking/not liking it. I'm just amazed that anyone who loves the original would even want to see it, though I suppose I myself did try out the 1998 TV redo at least for awhile.

But one thing I can gauge from past experience here is that this is about the crucial moment where the "Administrator" title is pulsating toward me, so I will back off now and await others' opinions on this matter, both pro and con.

Robert, I hope you enjoy the new version.


Back to DVD



Forum Nav Content I Follow