Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

HTF Blu-ray Review: Star Trek: The Original Motion Picture Collection

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 of 45 Xylon

Xylon

Stunt Coordinator

• 124 posts

Posted May 20 2009 - 02:53 PM

Ok forget the screencaps for a moment here. Lets all pretend they don't match them in motion (sic).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatWahlquist
While Paramount has gone all out with the extras and the audio on this set, they really missed the mark in the video by applying too much DNR. Had that not been the case, this set would come highly recommended, yet I still recommend it for the wealth of information on it and video that still looks pretty good even with the DNR issues.

Please explain this excuse. Of which we are all familiar. Are you one of the HIGH DEFINITION reviewers that use "better than DVD" rule to rate PQ?

Is this how far the format's expectation has fallen that some are just willing to accept mediocrity?

No spin answer please.

Keep the grain, save the Vision™

#2 of 45 Jrf2

Jrf2

Stunt Coordinator

• 96 posts

Posted May 20 2009 - 05:44 PM

It pains me to hear that the audio and extras are exceptional, but the video is mediocre on most of the films. I may just import the UK single release of Wrath of Khan or purchase the trilogy if the price is right. Thanks, Patt.

#3 of 45 PatWahlquist

PatWahlquist

Supporting Actor

• 735 posts

Posted May 21 2009 - 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylon
Ok forget the screencaps for a moment here. Lets all pretend they don't match them in motion (sic).

Please explain this excuse. Of which we are all familiar. Are you one of the HIGH DEFINITION reviewers that use "better than DVD" rule to rate PQ?

Is this how far the format's expectation has fallen that some are just willing to accept mediocrity?

No spin answer please.

Keep the grain, save the Vision™

I'm not sure I'm getting your position on the screen caps line...

I called the video, in the end, "pretty good". Not exceptional, excellent, or any other highly positive words. I rated it 3/5. It has its issues and I've detailed that in the video portion of the review. The image, besides the DNR issues, does look pretty good, certainly better than the DVD's, but I did not rate them on that criterial alone. The colors are better, it is sharper and detail is better. Grain alone does not an image make and while it was a big component missing here, the image still looks pretty good. I could not put a "Recommended" on the set because of the video issues.

Paramount is very aware of the issues with this set. I've spoken to my reps who send me the discs and they know everyones thoughts and opinions on the DNR. Paramount botched one major component of this set in tampering with the image, but the rest of the set is exceptional, great audio and great extras. Some people can live with the DNR in exchange for the quality of the rest of the set.

Alex, my suggestion to you is to keep up your fight to make your voice heard regarding the issues with this set and its video quality. If you are this upset about it DON'T BUY IT. Further, email and write a letter to Paramount expressing your dismay with how they handled this release. I know for a fact these emails and letters make it to the people responsible for putting these things out.
ISO "Lost" ARG prints from Kevin Tong, Olly Moss, Eric Tan and Methane Studios.  PM me if you want to sell!

All reviews done on a Marantz VP11S1 1080p DLP projector.

Displays professionally calibrated by Gregg Loewen of Lion AV.

#4 of 45 RDarrylR

RDarrylR

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts

Posted May 21 2009 - 04:53 AM

Thanks for the review Pat. It is a fair assessment of this release.

The set has its issues but it is the best these have ever looked in my home theatre. The price the set is going for makes it pretty much a no brainer for people that don't own the DVD's at least and likely for others to upgrade to as well.

Maybe Paramount will go a little easier on the DNR for the next releases but we'll have to wait and see.

#5 of 45 Joel Fontenot

Joel Fontenot

Supporting Actor

• 633 posts
  • LocationBaton Rouge, LA

Posted May 21 2009 - 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatWahlquist
With the exception of Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, the previously released first DVD versions of each film were the theatrical versions followed by a second special edition. However, for Star Trek: The Motion Picture, there has only been a “Director’s Edition” version released on DVD, but never the theatrical edition.

Actually, ST 6 has never been previously issued in it's theatrical version on home video (VHS, laserdisc or DVD). The BD is the first time we see this version since the theaters. Now, the movie was further altered between the original DVD release and the Special Edition, but the original DVD was by no means the theatrical cut.

And, I thought that both 4 and 5 were the same movie in both the original DVD and the Special Editions - both staying in their theatrical cuts in both editions.
Joel

#6 of 45 Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure

Casual Enthusiast

• 2,694 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted May 21 2009 - 06:32 AM

I first said I was going to buy this set, then waffled and said "no way!" when I saw the screen grabs, but after some Reward Zone coupons and selling my original ST movies on DVD, I was able to buy the only 7 disc set in town for $45.

Besides the step up in audio and (gulp) video, this was the only chance for me to have the original theatrical versions of the movies, which I much prefer to the extended/director's cuts.

I agree the audio was excellent and the video was pretty good, but far from reference quality. My advice to the naysayers is to rent the discs and watch them before passing judgment. I was premature in doing so and am eating a little crow for it.

All in all, this is a good set and I'm happy to have it.

#7 of 45 PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,575 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted May 21 2009 - 08:20 AM

I'll be getting these for the theatrical cuts (I have the DC of TMP and the SE/CE of the others). As I prefer the DC of TMP over the original--but don't have a preference either way for any other alternate cuts like TWOK or TUC--I foresee one double-dip in the future on BD (DC of TMP). I'll hold onto my SD DVDs for "completeness", though.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#8 of 45 Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,229 posts

Posted May 21 2009 - 10:15 AM

I've rented and watched the first three movies. While Khan is very good and film-like, the first and third movie look very digital. Faces take on a very waxy, pasty look. There is NO fine detail in these movies even if they are more detailed than the 480i DVD. To rub salt on the wound, there are a few moments on III where some scenes briefly have no DNR and you can just see how much better these can look with grain and more detail intact. In addition, I felt the contrast was boosted too high. I personally cannot recommend buying these and I have a letter typed to Paramount which will be going into the mail tomorrow.

In case you're interested, I'm watching these on an ISF'd 60" SXRD A3000 from 8 feet back at 1080p/24 (Panasonic BD35) in dark room.

#9 of 45 David Coleman

David Coleman

Supporting Actor

• 757 posts

Posted May 21 2009 - 02:03 PM

Got to watch UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY last night and I was shocked! Based on some of the reviews i've been reading on the net, I expected this to be a worn-looking, DNR mess, instead I was treated to a lively picture, full of accurate colors and very sharp.

No it doesn't look like a modern film and it doesn't look perfect, it does look pretty good for a film it's age.

So cool to hear the soundtrack in lossless. While the explosions and the other bombast came through with punch, the clarity wasn't the greatest, however I was able to pick out fine detail in the background sounds that had previously been masked with lossy audio.

#10 of 45 RDarrylR

RDarrylR

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts

Posted May 21 2009 - 02:39 PM

You mean those guys are exaggerating it all? Posted Image

#11 of 45 Scott Strang

Scott Strang

Screenwriter

• 1,133 posts

Posted May 27 2009 - 01:18 PM

Well this is just great. Why leave out the film grain? I thought that was part of the film's character.

When CD's came out there were a lot of releases of CD's from analog masters (which is perfectly alright yet for some reason some people thought otherwise) where the transfer engineer would either prematurely fade out the ending of the song to avoid hearing tape hiss or they would apply some type of stupid single ended NR to filter out the hiss. All those measures ever accomplished was very bad authored CD's.

I never occurred to me that we would have to worry about the video equivalent with BD releases.

This is insane.

#12 of 45 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,041 posts

Posted August 26 2010 - 05:45 AM

I thought I'd bump this thread in the event there is any new news for the Director's Cuts of these 6 films.

I suppose we might have to wait till 2011 or 2012 and the next Trek film for Paramount to issue new blu rays of the first 6 films with proper remasters, less DNR and the Director's version of Star Trek The Motion Picture via branching. I was just hoping it would be sooner then later! /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif

What I have been wondering is why the kind of money that was spent on the James Bond remasters which look wonderful, have not been done to the Star Trek films. One reason I understand was simply to get the first 6 movies out in time for the JJ Abrams film release. So they did the minimum to get them out ASAP.

The suspicion I have, and I have nothing to base that on and I am not sure I believe this, is they didn't feel it was warrented to invest in the kind of restoration Lowry did for the Bond franchise is for fear the numbers of sales are not there to justify the cost. Us Trek fans are a big group, but I know they really were counting on the Abrams film to break out of that threshold and reach the mainstream like Star Wars has or the Bond Franchise has. (I persoanlly think the Abrams movie was good, had some good moments, but sacraficed some areas in order to dumb it down and reach that mass audience. )

CBS was mindful enough to respect the history and influence Star Trek The Original Series has, so they invested in a proper restoration and conversion to HD. I'm so glad it's been essentially archived for the future! I can see the film series may not be held to that level of esteem by Paramount. Though I'm sure that there are those at Paramount feel the Star Trek film series is as important as any other in the history of the studio, but in terms of potential sales as a blu ray, it may not be as high on the list of getting out there.

#13 of 45 Scott D S

Scott D S

Supporting Actor

• 827 posts

Posted August 26 2010 - 07:30 AM

No news that I'm aware of, except...

If you visit the website for King Media Services (the company that produced the new HD behind the scenes features), you'll see an entry listed on their "In Development" page:

http://www.kingmediaservices.com/In_Development.html

“Star Trek Motion Pictures: Beyond the Final Frontier” will be the very first complete history of the “Star Trek” film franchise. 

What began as a wild gamble to revive Paramount Studios’ long forgotten TV show back in 1979, “Star Trek The Motion Picture” turned into an unexpected success and launched a mega film franchise.  11 films and 30 years later,  the celebrated “Star Trek” film series is still going strong, exploding back into Sci Fi stardom following the success of the new film from J.J. Abrams.  “Star Trek Motion Pictures: Beyond the Final Frontier”, will examine the triumphs, controversies and groundbreaking influence of the entire “Star Trek” Film Collection.  

I have no idea if this is to be included in a future Blu-Ray collection, released as a standalone documentary, or even broadcast on TV. But it's something. /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif

And it's a shame Paramount won't spring for someone like Robert Meyer Burnett or Charlie Lauzirika to give these films the Alien Anthology treatment. I once asked RMB about this and he said it would be impossible, though if I read between the lines correctly, it all has to do with $$$.

But in other Star Trek news, next month Film Score Monthly will be releasing a 14-disc boxset of Ron Jones' scores for Star Trek: TNG - 40 episodes (The Best of Both Worlds couldn't be included) and two videogames. It'll be limited to 5000 copies and sell for $149.99.

#14 of 45 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,041 posts

Posted August 26 2010 - 09:54 AM

Thanks for that link Scott. That is interesting to see. I hope it's an indication of things to come.

#15 of 45 FrancisP

FrancisP

Screenwriter

• 1,108 posts

Posted August 26 2010 - 10:38 AM

The trouble with buying the blu-rays are what you have to give up. You have the director's cut of ST:TMP and ST II. If I had known ST VI was the theatrical cut, I never would  have bought it. I will definetely be waiting as well for the director's cuts on these films. There will be no studio produced documentary will ever tell the truth about what happened on ST:TMP. It was basically a war between Roddenberry and Liingston.

#16 of 45 Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus

Screenwriter

• 2,173 posts

Posted August 27 2010 - 12:27 AM

The other aspect of the Blu-ray iterations of these movies that I hate is the omission of the excellent Okuda Trivia tracks.  These BDs cannot be considered "definitive" Star Trek movie releases without those tracks.  The interactive Library Computer entries are sort of cool ... but the Okuda tracks should have been included as well.  Hopefully they'll be restored when the time comes to re-issue these movies.

Joseph
---------------

#17 of 45 Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,160 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted August 27 2010 - 06:40 AM

I for one am glad the theatrical versions of these movies have been released on blu-ray, to me they are a valuable souvenir of the original cinema presentation, a true collector's item. In the future the directors cuts will supplant the originals and they may no longer exist in their original form so as a trekkie from way back I'm glad to have 'em. /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif

Oh and I may be the only person here who prefers the original 1979 ST-TMP to the re-edited director's cut, which was interesting but I'll stick with the film I saw at the cinema and countless times on video and dvd.

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#18 of 45 Jeff Robertson

Jeff Robertson

Second Unit

• 453 posts

Posted August 27 2010 - 07:09 AM

I prefer the theatrical also. The director's cut has a good flow due to the edits, but I was not happy with the sound effects and CGI.

Originally Posted by Steve Christou 

I for one am glad the theatrical versions of these movies have been released on blu-ray, to me they are a valuable souvenir of the original cinema presentation, a true collector's item. In the future the directors cuts will supplant the originals and they may no longer exist in their original form so as a trekkie from way back I'm glad to have 'em. /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif

Oh and I may be the only person here who prefers the original 1979 ST-TMP to the re-edited director's cut, which was interesting but I'll stick with the film I saw at the cinema and countless times on video and dvd.

#19 of 45 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,041 posts

Posted August 27 2010 - 07:11 AM

I agree with you Steve. Theatrical cuts are great to have.

But with all the issues people are having with the DNR applied, I hope a future version on Blu would have all the versions of TMP on the disc, original and the TV version and the Directors Cut in a much better transfer.

It would be interesting to see the films without the level of DNR they have now. Honestly though, on my screen, which is 50", I can't see the problem or know what to look for. But if I knew what it looked like without the level of DNR applied, then I could probably see the difference. What I can see now are some shots where Nimoy's face looks blotchy. Like parts have less make-up then others. Hair detail is very clear. What is amazing is the TOS blu-rays look better. Make-up is clear and the seams on Nimoy's ears are plain to see as are pores and lines on the faces. I'll have to see if I can see that on TMP!/img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif

But it makes me wonder when people say so much DNR was applied, faces look plastic-y, or had a thick layer of make-up applied. Maybe that's what I see on Nimoy. I'll have another look because I look for pores and lines on faces.

#20 of 45 Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,160 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted August 27 2010 - 07:26 AM

I liked the look of the ST-TMP blu-ray, if it was swirling with grain I would have looked up and yelled like a Klingon. /img/vbsmilies/htf/smiley_wink.gif

Jeff, I didn't like the new sound effects either, and I preferred the original Golden Gate bridge shuttle flyby and matte painting.

And even though Vulcan has no moons I still prefer the original mattes to the new ones, maybe I'm just too nostalgic and stuck in the past. /img/vbsmilies/htf/tongue.gif

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow