Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Fox classics. com gone !!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#1 of 32 OFFLINE   Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,938 posts

Posted May 20 2009 - 05:52 AM

With all the talk of the Egyptian, I thought I would check Foxclassics.com, hoping for an update. Looks like that web site is now gone as it reroutes to fox store.

#2 of 32 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,467 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted May 20 2009 - 06:06 AM

As if we couldn't hear it before, the message from Fox is received loud and clear...
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#3 of 32 OFFLINE   Richard M S

Richard M S

Supporting Actor

• 638 posts

Posted May 20 2009 - 06:17 AM

I hope this does not mean we will not be getting A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN , Betty Grable Volume II and more Noir films.

#4 of 32 OFFLINE   Livius

Livius

Second Unit

• 407 posts

Posted May 20 2009 - 06:28 AM

Well it was grand while it lasted. I guess we should be thankful we got as much as we did while the going was good.
Riding the High Country - My Movie Blog

#5 of 32 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,946 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted May 20 2009 - 09:40 AM

It really is the end of an era. It's as if the studios have completely given up on pre-2000 product and now with the focus shifting to re-releasing everything to Boo-ray, older films don't stand a chance. There hasn't been a single title announced in over 6 months worth getting excited about.
RIP Roberto Gomez Bolanos.

#6 of 32 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,486 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted May 20 2009 - 11:07 AM

Why did they ever have multiple sites for their home video division?

#7 of 32 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,897 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted May 20 2009 - 11:12 AM

Not sure this time, but twice when Fox re did the Classic site this happened. But I really think this is the end.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#8 of 32 OFFLINE   Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted May 20 2009 - 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito34
It really is the end of an era. It's as if the studios have completely given up on pre-2000 product and now with the focus shifting to re-releasing everything to Boo-ray, older films don't stand a chance. There hasn't been a single title announced in over 6 months worth getting excited about.

Man Hunt doesn't impress you?
come see the reviews at
http://thedvdlounge.com/

and the Seinfeld Tour Bus

#9 of 32 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,897 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted May 20 2009 - 01:27 PM

Fox has impressed me in the past, The Charlie Chans, Mr. Moto's, Ford at Fox, their horror collections, their Film Noir series Betty Grable, Carmem Miranda, Alice Faye, Tyrone Power sets.

Man Hunt looks like the end of the line. It was announced as a Film Noir, but the package mentions nothing of it being a Noir, which I do agree. I makes me believe that they only released it because of Valkyrie release. The Dairy of Ann Frank does not excite me and that is the end of the anouncements. If the closing of the Fox Classics website means what it means, then there is not A Tree Grows In Brooklyn, Stars and Strips, A Box of Ritz Crackers, the hope of Mr. Belvedere, more Betty Grable, more Sonja Henie or more of those great cinemascope films in the future. Someone mentioned a suggestion for Fox to do a box set of many of the unreleased Cinemascope films this holiday like their Ford At Fox. I thought that was a great idea and would support it. I guess it will never come to past.

I can not write of Fox at this time, for we do not know anything and all is just suspect. Please Fox do not abandon us as Paramount has.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#10 of 32 OFFLINE   KELLYBOY

KELLYBOY

Agent

• 44 posts

Posted May 20 2009 - 01:51 PM

Miles Krueger told me he did a commentary for STARS AND STRIPES FOREVER more than a year ago. You think FOX would go ahead and release this one. Hopefully this is not the end of the line for FOX classic films.

#11 of 32 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted May 21 2009 - 12:12 AM

I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that this is simply a web-site re-development.

I'll press the panic button when this stays as is for closer to a month.

Times certainly do seem bleak for classic DVD lovers though.

#12 of 32 OFFLINE   David_B_K

David_B_K

Screenwriter

• 1,586 posts

Posted May 21 2009 - 03:12 AM

Quote:
Posted by John Hodson: As if we couldn't hear it before, the message from Fox is received loud and clear...

Quote:
Posted by Luisito34: It really is the end of an era. It's as if the studios have completely given up on pre-2000 product and now with the focus shifting to re-releasing everything to Boo-ray, older films don't stand a chance. There hasn't been a single title announced in over 6 months worth getting excited about.

I guess they think they are catering to their audience (not us). I was on the AVS Blu-Ray Player Forum yesterday, and the subject of upconverting SD DVDs on Blu-ray came up. two memebers posted that they had sold of or given away their entire SD DVD Collections. "Nothing but HD for me, baby!" was their mantra. There is no freakin' way I'd dump my SD DVDs in favor for Blu-ray's limited selection.

#13 of 32 OFFLINE   Simon Howson

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

• 1,779 posts

Posted May 21 2009 - 03:35 AM

Personally I think we are in a slow down from Warner and Fox that will last another year. In the second half of next year I think releases will go back to normal as the U.S. and world economy picks up.

For the next year, most classic releases from those two companies will be reissues of major titles on Blu-ray. Films like Ben Hur, North By Northwest, and the ones we already know about, The Wizard of Oz and Gone With the Wind.

I have absolutely no idea what has happened at Sony, but I like it and I will be supporting them by buying the Film Noir and Sam Fuller boxes.

#14 of 32 OFFLINE   Livius

Livius

Second Unit

• 407 posts

Posted May 21 2009 - 04:06 AM

Simon I admire your optimism but I just can't see things going back to the way they were before.
If it turns out I'm wrong and you're right I'll be very happy of course.

#15 of 32 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,355 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted May 21 2009 - 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Howson
I have absolutely no idea what has happened at Sony, but I like it and I will be supporting them by buying the Film Noir and Sam Fuller boxes.
They got new personnel that cares about classics, and they won a format war. Those royalty checks do pay off. Posted Image

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#16 of 32 OFFLINE   Simon Howson

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

• 1,779 posts

Posted May 21 2009 - 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livius
Simon I admire your optimism but I just can't see things going back to the way they were before.
If it turns out I'm wrong and you're right I'll be very happy of course.
When the world economy was booming, say for the first five years of the decade, surely WHV and Fox Home Entertainment were making a profit from their classic releases. I can't see how they were releasing a lot for those years as a charity.

So all we need is for the world economy to start growing (which it is expected to do next year) for them to start releasing stuff again. I can't see how these two big companies will leave all that Wallmart and Best Buy shelf space to Sony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway
They got new personnel that cares about classics, and they won a format war. Those royalty checks do pay off. Posted Image
Sony have always had Grover Crisp who has knows how to make good releases, the green light for the flood of new releases coming this year must've come from above him.

I just hope the slow U.S. economy doesn't mean that these releases don't sell as well as predicted, which then kills off another flood of releases next year.

I'd rather have consistency rather than stop / start release schedules.

#17 of 32 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,897 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted May 21 2009 - 06:06 AM

I understand that TCM and Sony signed a deal middle of last year for several 100 films to appear on the channel. The quality of the films that TCM requires may be the roots of Sony starting to release films from their vaults. It has been said before that Warner had economical reasons to refurbish their vault assets due to the TCM outlet for their product.

Mr. Crisp has always been a supporter of classic films and always has a project in the works. It is he that we can thank for the past dvd releases such as "A Walk On The Wild Side" and "Major Dundee" I am sure he and Mr. Schlesinger are the ones to thank now.

I hear the Paramount has just recently signed a deal. Hope this works the same way.

#18 of 32 OFFLINE   Livius

Livius

Second Unit

• 407 posts

Posted May 21 2009 - 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Howson
When the world economy was booming, say for the first five years of the decade, surely WHV and Fox Home Entertainment were making a profit from their classic releases. I can't see how they were releasing a lot for those years as a charity.

So all we need is for the world economy to start growing (which it is expected to do next year) for them to start releasing stuff again. I can't see how these two big companies will leave all that Wallmart and Best Buy shelf space to Sony.

Yeah, but people keep saying the market just isn't there any more for DVDs in general, let alone classics. The bad economy doesn't help any but the fact is that many people (even film buffs) will tell you they've bought as many titles as they want. Personally, I'm nowhere near exhausting my wish list, but there you go.

While better economic conditions would likely encourage more releases from the studios, I'm not holding out too many hopes for a new golden age.

#19 of 32 OFFLINE   SilverWook

SilverWook

Screenwriter

• 1,638 posts

Posted May 21 2009 - 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_B_K
I guess they think they are catering to their audience (not us). I was on the AVS Blu-Ray Player Forum yesterday, and the subject of upconverting SD DVDs on Blu-ray came up. two memebers posted that they had sold of or given away their entire SD DVD Collections. "Nothing but HD for me, baby!" was their mantra. There is no freakin' way I'd dump my SD DVDs in favor for Blu-ray's limited selection.

Wow, that reminds me how some people were unwisely dumping their entire Laserdisc collections before even knowing for sure all of it would actually come out on DVD. Some people never learn!

#20 of 32 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,355 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted May 21 2009 - 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverWook
Wow, that reminds me how some people were unwisely dumping their entire Laserdisc collections before even knowing for sure all of it would actually come out on DVD. Some people never learn!
No kidding. Seems fairly excessive.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow