What's new

Glee (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Infinitely better then I expected. I had figured this was going to be a pretty lame constant joke/buffoonery at high school Glee clubs. Yes, it was a bit of the sacharine/stolen from Disney's HighSchoolMusical bit about the athlete who joins the glee club because he wants to sing stuff..

But I was surprised that it seemed to be a pretty effective storytelling, some good moments, and I like the cast - I'll give it a shot.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
It certainly was a well-crafted pilot, and I agree, it was pretty effective storytelling. The ensemble cast is likable enough and there appears to be enough there for the producers to be able to tell some interesting and fun "character" stories.

I am not sure I understand the logic behind Fox's scheduling strategy, though. According to their recently announced primetime schedule, Glee will follow So You Think You Can Dance on Wednesday nights this fall, but then it goes away in December(?) and does not return until spring as the lead-out to the AI results show (which apparently is sliding back into its old 8:00 PM timeslot.) This may work out just fine, but if history is an indicator, putting a fledgling program like this on hiatus in the midst of its first season usually does not do much to ensure its long-term success or viability.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial

I think the hiatus is due to the mostly to the Olympics.

I thought "Glee" was really quite good. The leads were well-acted and interesting, and the musical numbers (especially "Rehab") were well-sung and extrememly well-choreographed and filmed for a TV show. Some of the camera movements were better than what I've seen in movie musicals.

Until the remake of "Fame" hits TV next year (is this still a go?), "Glee" will be a welcome change in a sea of medical dramas, cop shows and procedurals, and reality TV. I especially like how a number of the actors on the show are actual singers, and appear to be, at the very least, lip-syncing to themselves.

I'll be sticking around to watch this one.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
This pilot was one of the best things I've seen on television in a long time.

I just hope Fox stands behind the show instead of strangling it in its crib like they usually do.

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
I thought it was decent, though it seemed to get a little contrived with the name dropping of other News Corp entities (Fox Sports Network, Myspace)...

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I know it's name dropping, but it's hard not to do unless they just inject fictional headings when we know what they really mean. It's like saying "I'm going to grab a coke" on a show instead of "I'm going to grab a cola".

I had no trouble believing High School kids hang out at myspace.. I mean, that's not some out-of-the-blue product placement that struck me as "phony". It was pretty realistic with the experience I see. And if you do competitive cheering (yes, I know) then it's moved from ESPN to FSN for a lot of the regionals, so I don't know why they would not use the drop.

I get really unhappy -REALLY- unhappy with product placement that makes no sense and is obviously just product placement. ButI felt as though at least the MySpace drop fit the character, and if anything, it highlighted the negative of the website. When the girls were harrassing her via her myspace "Get sterilized" and so on, all I could think about was the Missouri case where a woman harrassed a kid into suicide.

But maybe I'm alone in that.

As to the other bit above, there is NO planned revival of "Fame" the TV show (it was attempted once before in 2003 and died) but their is a new "Fame" movie coming out September 25:

Fame (2009)

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial

Thanks for the clarification, Matt. I knew there was *something* coming out, and I guessed it would be a TV series.

Darren_N

Stunt Coordinator
I have to agree with all the comments so far. For me, it definitely did what a pilot is supposed to do as I am looking forward to the series starting in the fall. Some of the acting and line deliveries were a bit off but they more than made up for it with how earnest they were during the musical numbers.

Does anyone know if anyone else in the cast besides Lea Michele (Rachel Berry) has a musical background. It seemed like all of them had some experience. Incidentally, you guys probably already know this but Lea Michele was on Broadway in Les Mis so having her character sing a piece from that for her audition was kind of funny. She was also one of the original cast members in Spring Awakening (Wendla, the female lead), which is one of my favorites.

One last thing - my DVR cut off towards the end of "Don't Stop Believin'" right after their teacher walks into the auditorium and sees them rehearsing. What happened after that?

Darren

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
LOVED it! Can't wait to see the entire series this fall. It's probably the best high school show I've seen since "Freaks and Geeks". And does anyone else think that the guy that plays "Finn" looks like a young Tyler Florence (from Food Network)?
I was surprised at how well (and quickly) the story set up the characters and premise. I'll definitely be talking this one up!
I am just concerned that if/when it hits DVD that the music clearances were worked out in advance to prevent any edits/replacements...and I can't wait to see the episode where they perform "Somebody to Love"!

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial

Not sure about the other cast members, but I know the actor (Kevin McHale) who played Arty (the guy in the wheelchair) was in a boy band called "Not Like Them."

Bryan Toth

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't really expect to like it all that much either (my wife wanted to watch, so I figured I'd be the good husband and watch with her ...) Anyway, I ended up really enjoying it. As a child of the '80's, I've always loved Journey -and that arrangement of "Don't Stop Believin'" at the end was a pretty impressive number. The leads all seem to be well cast (the students anyway). The only thing I'd do is drop the wife - I like Jesalyn Gilsig (sp?) but her character is extremely annoying after only 1 episode.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I was waiting for the reveal that the pregnancy was faked to get him to quit his job
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
But I'm so evil that way.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
You can catch the entire episode on Fox.com. They tagged at the end of the broadcast that you can watch it for free all summer long on their website.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Liked it, a touch of Disney saccharine, but overall pretty decent.

Liked the singing. They weren't the perfect, polished studio vocals you'd expect, just nice, decent voices that will improve with training.

Loved the commercial for next fall. The first episode wasn't even finished, yet they're advertising it as "The most exciting new show of the season...." or something similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks