What's new

Icons of Screwball Comedy Vols 1/2 in August (1 Viewer)

FrankXS

Second Unit
Movies Unlimited is listing two volumes of screwball comedies coming from Columbia/Sony the beginning of August including Irene Dunne's Theodora Goes Wild and Together Again; Jean Arthur's Too Many Husbands and If You Could Only Cook; Loretta Young's Doctor Takes a Wife and A Night to Remember and Rosalind Russell's My Sister Eileen and She Wouldn't Say Yes.
Each volume sells for $22.49.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel

Ha, superb news.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

I love Sony's new policy!!

Coopsgirl_31

Agent
Real Name
Angie
This is great news!! I'm especially excited about the Jean Arthur films. If You Could Only Cook is one of my faves of hers.
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
I hope these sets sell very well, so that Sony continue to produce more and more of these collections. And considering the lack of new classic entries for August, I think they will be a success (they should be irrespectively of this, just for the titles selected)

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
These are on my to buy list. A Night to Remember is one i am really happy to see. Keep em coming Columbia.

John_S

Stunt Coordinator
Count me in also--- I'm a big fan of "Too Many Husbands" and "Theodora Goes Wild".

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
I love, love, love every single film in these upcoming collections
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
What tremendous news!!!

Charles H

Screenwriter
Wonderful, wonderful news! Classicflix just posted this too. I remember that the Rosalind Russell MY SISTER EILEEN was partnered with the letterboxed musical on the old laserdisc. A very nice surprise during the dry season.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Sounds very awesome. Screwball comedy hasn't been very well released, apart from maybe Warner's Classic Comedies set from a few years ago (with Bringing Up Baby etc.).

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Wow! I don't know what's gotten into Sony these days, but I hope they don't recover anytime soon. :laugh:

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I wish their tv-on-dvd department would start churning out classic and short-lived old shows.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
I hope the sales encourage them to think about upcoming volumes. Columbia has many choices in this vaults. My choices would be:

- You belong to me (another Stanwyck/Fonda pairing - there are some people that don't like this one, but it's definitively not my case);
- It had to be you (Ginger Rogers is great in this role);
- They all kissed the Bride (Crawford stepping in a role originally designed for Carole Lombard, and she did a great job);
- The Impatitent Years (Last Jean Arthur film for Columbia).

And there are also more Jean Arthur, Loretta Young and Rosalind Russell wonderful vehicles to be considered.

Charles H

Screenwriter
would love to see a Lucille Ball collection: HER HUSBAND'S AFFAIRS, MISS GRANT TAKES RICHMOND, THE FULLER BRUSH GIRL, and as a curiosity-bonus, THE MAGIC CARPET (Lucy meets Perry Mason!)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I am beyond thrilled. Theodora Goes Wild is right up there with the Awful Truth as one of my favorite Irene Dunne films . Thank you Sony.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

It had to be you was a cute movie but Ginger was way too old at the time for the part she was playing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks