Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

*** Official TERMINATOR SALVATION Discussion Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
152 replies to this topic

#1 of 153 OFFLINE   Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter

• 1,105 posts

Posted May 18 2009 - 05:20 AM

I am seeking Terminator Salvation tonight at a sneak peek. I will be writing up a review of it in the morning.

#2 of 153 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,442 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted May 18 2009 - 05:20 AM

A positive review from Variety - here's a few snippets -

Quote:
Darker, grimmer and more stylistically single-minded than its two relatively giddy predecessors, "Terminator Salvation" boasts the kind of singular vision that distinguished the James Cameron original, the full-throttle kinetics of "Speed" and an old-fashioned regard for human (and humanoid) heroics. Only pic's relentlessly doomsday tone -- accessorized by helmer McG's grimy, gun-metal palette -- might keep auds from flocking like lemmings to the apocalypse. The fourth in the celebrated sci-fi series, "Salvation" opens and closes with humanity at war with the machines. In other words, this thing isn't going to end soon. Nor should it, if it keeps on like this.

Christian Bale, playing the "prophesized leader of the Resistance" John Connor, may have traded in the Batman body armor for "Road Warrior"-style outerwear, but one thing hasn't changed: He is, once again, a movie star playing second fiddle. Heath Ledger stole "The Dark Knight" away from him and Sam Worthington (who will appear in Cameron's "Avatar" this Christmas) heists "Terminator Salvation" from Bale, for the most ironical of reasons: In a movie that poses man against machine, Worthington's cyborg is the far more human character.

This is not your governator's "Terminator."

Terminator Salvation Review - Read Variety's Analysis Of The Movie Terminator Salvation

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#3 of 153 OFFLINE   Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter

• 1,105 posts

Posted May 18 2009 - 06:43 AM

Hollywood Reporter's review, as well.
Film Review: Terminator Salvation
Not as positive.

#4 of 153 OFFLINE   Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,996 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted May 18 2009 - 07:00 AM

Positive, not positive...whatever Posted Image This is the first film of the season that I have any sort of significant interest in. I am not expecting greatness, but I am kind of hoping for something special. I'll be checking out a midnight show, which I didn't even consider for any other summer release this season.

And I'm not sure why I am so interested, since 3 did nothing for me at all.

As for the Bale/Worthington thing...I'm certain that was somewhat intentional.

I'll be interested in your thoughts, Stephen.
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#5 of 153 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted May 18 2009 - 07:05 AM

I don't know if i'd classify T2 as "giddy" but okay lol.

Really looking foreward to this, i've got a good feeling about it.
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#6 of 153 OFFLINE   Ben Osborne

Ben Osborne

Second Unit

• 475 posts

Posted May 18 2009 - 08:06 AM

Yeah, that Variety reviewer seems a little unfamiliar with T2. One of the themes in T2 was that the terminator was in many ways a better father to John than any of the humans that tried to be one to him. Sarah Conner's attempted assassination of Dyson also temporarily made her a terminator, while the T-800, trying to save Dyson's life, demonstrated more human characteristics than Sarah in that incident.

I'm guessing that the Variety reviewer hasn't seen T2 in years and is now making inaccurate statements based on hazy memories of it.

#7 of 153 OFFLINE   Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted May 18 2009 - 08:27 AM

The main criticism in the second review seems to be that Arnie's not in it. I'm not sure you can blame a film for don't including things, but anyway..
Kinda getting looking forward to this. I though the first two were (and still are, obviously) amazing. The third one wasn't as bad as most made it out to be, but it was more of the same. The ending was great, though.
And now this one. Christian Bale, a script by Jonathan Nolan and music by Danny Elfman is enough to let me forget it's directed by McG. So maybe it will turn out to be a decent film after all.
Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#8 of 153 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts

Posted May 18 2009 - 08:38 AM

I never cared that Arnie wasn't going to be in this. It's irrational and narrow-minded to want him in it "just because he IS the TERMINATOR!!", if he isn't needed in the story than he shouldn't be in it.

His function in this story was as a mass produced infiltrator sent on three missions, they were all different models and now that the story has moved into the future it doesn't matter that we won't be seeing many skin-covered Endos.

It's not like if they made another Die Hard film without Bruce Willis, now THAT would be something to protest just because he IS John MCCLANE!!. Posted Image

#9 of 153 OFFLINE   Ben Osborne

Ben Osborne

Second Unit

• 475 posts

Posted May 18 2009 - 12:00 PM

They didn't make a Die Hard movie without Bruce Willis, but they made a movie with John McClane that's not a Die Hard movie (a.k.a. Live Free or Die Hard). Posted Image

#10 of 153 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts

Posted May 18 2009 - 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Osborne
They didn't make a Die Hard movie without Bruce Willis, but they made a movie with John McClane that's not a Die Hard movie (a.k.a. Live Free or Die Hard). Posted Image

Hehe, too true. Posted Image The film has grown on me but it'll never be as loved by me as 1,2 and to a slightly lesser extent 3.

#11 of 153 OFFLINE   Pete-D

Pete-D

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted May 18 2009 - 12:29 PM

17% at Rotten Tomatoes right now, granted that's only with like 6 reviews. Probably won't matter for the opening weekend anyway.

#12 of 153 OFFLINE   Diallo B

Diallo B

Screenwriter

• 1,076 posts

Posted May 18 2009 - 02:20 PM

i just saw a pre-screening of this and it was terrible.

stunts and special effect were great. movie was awful. they could have did better putting this budget somewhere else.

my god, the editing was atrocious.

seriously, if you want to see some stuff blow up you are in the right movie. if you want to see a good movie go see star trek again.
listen with your own ears...
watch with your own eyes...
make your own decision.

#13 of 153 OFFLINE   Pete-D

Pete-D

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted May 18 2009 - 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diallo B
i just saw a pre-screening of this and it was terrible.

stunts and special effect were great. movie was awful. the could have did better putting this budget somewhere else.

my god, the editing was atrocious.

seriously, if you want to see some stuff blow up you are in the right movie. if you want to see a good movie go see star trek again.

Well I thought Star Trek was also preoccupied with blowing a bunch of stuff up and had a pretty mediocre story (likable characters though).

Looks like those of us who want a blockbuster movie with a good story are stuck up the creek without a paddle this summer Posted Image

Forget Terminator 2 ... at this rate I'd settle for something in the vein of Kevin Costner's Robin Hood, lol.

#14 of 153 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts

Posted May 18 2009 - 02:46 PM

Hmmm, mixed reviews already, looks like this one could go either way.

I want to point out that I love how the Endoskeletons look in this one, they look somewhat smaller/slimmer, more battle-scored and aren't as perfectly chromed as Endos have been in the past. They look like unfinished metal, damaged and darkened, you just get a sense that they've been on the battlefield. Posted Image

#15 of 153 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,036 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 18 2009 - 10:08 PM

This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Terminator Salvation". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Terminator Salvation" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#16 of 153 OFFLINE   Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter

• 1,105 posts

Posted May 19 2009 - 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Hammer!
Hmmm, mixed reviews already, looks like this one could go either way.

I want to point out that I love how the Endoskeletons look in this one, they look somewhat smaller/slimmer, more battle-scored and aren't as perfectly chromed as Endos have been in the past. They look like unfinished metal, damaged and darkened, you just get a sense that they've been on the battlefield. Posted Image

I liked how most of the battle action took place in broad daylight instead of night, and loved the dogfights between the Warthogs and the HKs. You really can't fault the effects or the action - they were the films highlights.

#17 of 153 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,036 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 19 2009 - 12:20 AM

I'm going to see this film despite what some reviews might say about it because if the action is great in it then that's what I'm looking for. Anything else is bonus material for me especially after viewing Terminator 3.Posted Image

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#18 of 153 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,316 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted May 19 2009 - 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
I'm going to see this film despite what some reviews might say about it because if the action is great in it then that's what I'm looking for. Anything else is bonus material for me especially after viewing Terminator 3.Posted Image
Same here.

#19 of 153 OFFLINE   Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter

• 1,105 posts

Posted May 19 2009 - 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford

Also, the final fight at Skynet really one-ups the final fight at the metal plant (or whatever that was!) in the first Terminator. There was even a bit of the T2 final confrontation rolled in as well. The endoskeleton effects have come a LONG way.

#20 of 153 OFFLINE   Chris Will

Chris Will

Supporting Actor

• 748 posts
  • LocationMontgomery, AL

Posted May 19 2009 - 03:15 PM

Well, call me disappointed, although I wasn't expecting much. Like other have said, the action scenes were good and the effects were top notch as well. The rest of the movie feel flat for me. It just didn't feel like a Terminator movie too me and actually felt closer to Transformers (especially one scene that is almost exactly like a scene from the first Transformers). I thought the ending was a cheap rip off of T2 and no were near as exciting IMO. I actually enjoyed T3 more then this one. I just can't figure McG out. The only movie of his I've like was We Are Marshall, everything else has been bland IMO. In the end, I would have rather seen Star Trek for a 4th time but, this was a free screening so at least I didn't pay money to see T4.

One thing that really bugged me was that Bale sounded too much like Batman in many scenes. Just took me out of the movie, he should not be aloud to talk with a low scratchy voice in anything but Batman.

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow