Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Season 5 of MTM Show. Is This a Gamble

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
122 replies to this topic

#121 of 123 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,422 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted November 26 2009 - 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Obsolete Man 

I Love Lucy went for a hell of a lot more than 60 bucks when it was first released.

Season 1 was originally put out in 4 episode, single disc releases, and the huge box set collecting them all was around a hundred bucks.

That put it right in line with the Star Trek releases, which were $119.99.

By the time ILL S2 was finally released, though, I think it was down to 40 bucks for a season in the format we had for the rest of the series.

As for MTM S1's failure, I think Fox overestimated it. I think they expected to do Simpsons or X-Files or Buffy numbers with a show that wasn't in the spotlight like those three. And we've suffered for that miscalculation ever since. They got burned their first time out with classic TV, and they've been wary ever since.

So true, but I was referreing to when they first collected the season into a unified box set.  But I had my figures slightly backward: Season One (boxset) retailed for $54.95 and believe it or not, Season Two retailed for $59.95.  Same for Season Three.  Season Four retailed for $69.95(!!), Season Five $58.95 and not until Season Six was the price point lowered to $39.95.  So it toiok a long while to get down to $40.  Later the retail prices were lowered on all the earlier sets.

#122 of 123 OFFLINE   Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,025 posts

Posted November 26 2009 - 04:46 AM

And yesterday at Sam's Club, I saw I LOVE LUCY Season 1 and 2 for $9.99 each.

#123 of 123 OFFLINE   jimmyjet

jimmyjet

Screenwriter

• 2,035 posts

Posted November 26 2009 - 09:16 AM

as consumers, it is up to us to push the studios to release what we want.  all they want is our bucks - they will do what it takes to get that, but nothing more.