-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: T2 Judgment Day - Skynet Edition

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
186 replies to this topic

#1 of 187 Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,707 posts

Posted May 15 2009 - 05:37 PM

Blu-ray Disc REVIEW

Posted Image

TERMINATOR 2: JUDGMENT DAY
SKYNET EDITION

Studio: Tri-Star/Orion (Home Video via Lionsgate)
Film Year: 1991
Film Length: 2 hours 17 minutes (Theatrical Edition) 2 hours 32 minutes (Special Edition)
Genre: Science Fiction/Action

Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1

BD Resolution: 1080p
BD Video Codec: VC-1 @ over 20 MBPS
Color/B&W: Color

Audio:
  • English DTS-HD Master Audio 6.1 @ over 4 MBPS
  • English Dolby Digital EX 5.1
  • English Dolby Headphone Audio Track
  • English TheatreVision Descriptive Narrative Audio for the Blind
  • French Dolby Surround 2.0

Subtitles: English, Spanish, French, Commentaries

Film Rating: R (Violence, Language, General Terminator Behavior)

#2 of 187 Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,256 posts

Posted May 15 2009 - 06:10 PM

Thanks, Kevin. I'm still on the fence for this release because of the DNR issue. I may still try and find the original UK release.

#3 of 187 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,034 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted May 15 2009 - 06:14 PM

Kevin: Your description of that DTS HD-MA track is creating a great anticipation in me! Posted Image

Nice review! Posted Image Thanks!

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#4 of 187 Guest_Hank_*

Guest_Hank_*

Posted May 16 2009 - 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave H
Thanks, Kevin. I'm still on the fence for this release because of the DNR issue. I may still try and find the original UK release.

I found the original UK release on Ebay yesterday, I got it for $23.50 shipped. I canceled my Amazon pre-order.

#5 of 187 Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted May 16 2009 - 05:51 AM

I want the DTS-MA track, but I have a 60" screen so the PQ issue really concerns me. Still not sure what to do about this release. Posted Image
"If you're good at something, never do it for free."

#6 of 187 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,678 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted May 16 2009 - 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent M
I want the DTS-MA track, but I have a 60" screen so the PQ issue really concerns me. Still not sure what to do about this release. Posted Image
Just to be safe, I'd say rent it. That way, you'll know what you're getting into.

Personally, I'm buying it because I love the movie, I want the SE, I 'only' have a 47 inch screen, I can all but guarantee that I won't notice the DNR and I figure this is another panic* being exacerbated by the people who seem to spend more time looking for DNR than watching movies.

* I'm not saying it's not there. I'm saying that some people blow things out of proportion.

#7 of 187 Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted May 16 2009 - 06:54 AM

I'll probably get this. I don't own any of the BD versions of T2, and the Ultimate Edition dvd really doesn't hold up that well anymore. That most of the extras are intact is a really good bonus as well.
Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#8 of 187 Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,707 posts

Posted May 16 2009 - 07:01 AM

If you're on the fence, then I recommend renting. Worst case scenario, it costs you five bucks or so to find out whether the quality is worth the sale price.

#9 of 187 Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,686 posts

Posted May 16 2009 - 01:42 PM

I'll probably pick up the endoskull set for this someday when it is sold at a heavy discount. For now though, I'm in no rush for it. Thanks for the review.
Recently watched- 300: Rise Of An Empire 3D, Noah, Sin City, Phantom Of The Paradise, 300, The Final Terror, Willow, The Bank Job, One Hour Photo, Gone Baby Gone, Horrible Bosses, Buried, Escape Plan, Sudden Impact, The Enforcer(1976), The Other Guys

Currently watching- Planet Earth, The Twilight Zone: Season 1, Cheers: Season 6, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, Simon & Simon: Season 3, Tales From The Crypt: Season 1, Lost: Season 1

"That there is one damn fine coat you're wearin'."

#10 of 187 CraigF

CraigF

Screenwriter

• 2,340 posts
  • LocationToronto area, Canada

Posted May 16 2009 - 02:11 PM

Appreciate the review, thanks.

60" screen here. I think I'll wait for the edition when an HTF reviewer rates the video at least 4.5 LOL. Yeah, I'm getting even pickier which DVDs I upgrade to BD. I mean, with DVD it was "new", and there was lots to be learned, and there were often significant improvements with each release. Not so much excuse now IMO with incremental improvements with different BD releases. Especially when the baseline (the last T2 BD) was already so low. It'll be $10 soon enough anyway, if I break down in the meantime... Posted Image

#11 of 187 Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 5,997 posts

Posted May 16 2009 - 10:46 PM

I'm in for this one. I never bought the other T2 Blu-ray and I'm a fan of the longer version and the happier alternate ennding, so this one's a blessing.

#12 of 187 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,817 posts

Posted May 17 2009 - 01:13 AM

Quote:

This BD sounds like another bummer. I went ahead and cancelled my Amazon preorder for now since the price isn't exactly special anyhow. Is the UK version really better? And is it region coded for UK, which wouldn't work on US players?

_Man_
Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#13 of 187 stephenj3

stephenj3

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted May 17 2009 - 01:48 AM

Quote:

This is very disappointing. T2 is a relatively modern movie. Why on earth can't they give us a high-quality hi-def transfer, not plagued by DNR? Ditto for Terminator.

#14 of 187 Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus

Screenwriter

• 2,186 posts

Posted May 17 2009 - 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Borst
I'll probably get this. I don't own any of the BD versions of T2, and the Ultimate Edition dvd really doesn't hold up that well anymore. That most of the extras are intact is a really good bonus as well.

Brian,
Any of the BD versions of T2 will be better than the "Ultimate Edition" DVD. That transfer was riddled with EE. The DVD format didn't really get a proper presentation of T2 until the "Extreme Edition" DVD was released (concurrent with the theatrical release of T3). The "Extreme Edition" DVD still looks great today when upscaled via my Tosh XD-E500 player. I kept the "Ultimate Edition", though, for all the great supplements. So I'll probably eventually be purchasing the "Skynet Edition" just to get all the versions of the film and all the supplements together in one release.
Joseph
---------------

#15 of 187 Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted May 17 2009 - 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Bolus
Brian,
Any of the BD versions of T2 will be better than the "Ultimate Edition" DVD. That transfer was riddled with EE. The DVD format didn't really get a proper presentation of T2 until the "Extreme Edition" DVD was released (concurrent with the theatrical release of T3). The "Extreme Edition" DVD still looks great today when upscaled via my Tosh XD-E500 player. I kept the "Ultimate Edition", though, for all the great supplements. So I'll probably eventually be purchasing the "Skynet Edition" just to get all the versions of the film and all the supplements together in one release.

And with more reviews coming in and seeing the screenshots on DVDBeaver, I think I'm better off with the earlier Blu-Ray, in terms of PQ. That is, until the 'official authorized' version.
And now I think we have had enough T2 Blu-Rays out. I want my The Abyss Blu-Ray Posted Image .
Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#16 of 187 CraigF

CraigF

Screenwriter

• 2,340 posts

Posted May 17 2009 - 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Borst
I want my The Abyss Blu-Ray Posted Image .

Now you're really talking! Posted Image That'll get me running to the store pretty quick.

OT, but in Canada Blockbuster gives you $10 (minimum) credit for any used BD you bring in. Since all the Schwarzenegger BDs are easily found for $10 new around here, it cost nothing to test them out. [Since Blockbuster also sold some new BDs for $10, this doesn't seem like the greatest business model LOL.]

#17 of 187 CraigF

CraigF

Screenwriter

• 2,340 posts

Posted May 17 2009 - 07:45 AM

Quote:
Brian,

Agree there, the Extreme edition looked not significantly worse upscaled (to me) than the original T2 BD. But then, the Ultimate edition had better sound than the Extreme edition, plus the "other" movie version. I just want one proper BD release with good PQ and SQ. This release sounds half way there, and I'm done with half way for this title. I don't demand perfection, just "very good".

#18 of 187 Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted May 17 2009 - 08:10 AM

I will be going with the following:

Terminator - US MGM release
Terminator 2: Judgment Day - Japanese Geneon Entertainment release
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines - UK Sony release

It is a shame this series in so hit or miss on home video.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#19 of 187 Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,576 posts

Posted May 17 2009 - 08:31 AM

Well it ain't perfect, but at $20, I think I'm going with the Skynet edition for the first T2 BD purchase for me. Wish they could have treated such a great home video title with more respect.

#20 of 187 stephenj3

stephenj3

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted May 17 2009 - 08:42 AM

Quote:
Brian,
Any of the BD versions of T2 will be better than the "Ultimate Edition" DVD. That transfer was riddled with EE. The DVD format didn't really get a proper presentation of T2 until the "Extreme Edition" DVD was released

They seemingly released so many "editions" of T2 on DVD that i lost track.

Back to DVD, Blu-ray & Digital Reviews

Forum Nav Content I Follow