Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Press Release: 300: The Complete Experience (Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,575 posts

Posted May 15 2009 - 04:37 AM

“Pure brawny spectacle”...TV Guide, Maitland McDonagh

“It’s impossible not to be moved by its nearly nonstop visual assault.”
NY Daily News, Jack Matthews

300: THE COMPLETE EXPERIENCE
in Blu-ray
Experience 300 Like Never Before!
Available July 21 from Warner Home Video

Burbank, Calif, May 14, 2009 – Experience 300 in a whole new way when the cutting-edge, heart-pounding visual masterpiece from filmmaker Zack Snyder (Watchmen) marches onto home screens as 300: The Complete Experience in Blu-ray July 21, to coincide with Snyder’s Watchmen and Watchmen Director’s Cut DVD and Blu-ray debut. All are from Warner Home Video.

In 2008, 300 remained in the top 5 for theatrical catalog titles and was among the top 20 best-selling Hi-Def titles. With intense action-packed and visually stunning CGI graphics, it is the perfect film for an enhanced Blu-ray experience now with two hours of new bonus content.

First up, Warner Home Video adds a new dimension with the special feature: The Complete 300: A Comprehensive Immersion, an interactive picture-in-picture experience that allows viewers to explore exclusive behind-the-scenes features and interviews from three unique perspectives – all while watching the film.

Also included is the Warner Bros. BD-Live™ features Media Center (to view exclusive content); Live Community Screenings (virtual screenings for friends to watch together, now invited through Facebook) and My WB Commentary (lets you record and post a Picture-in-Picture commentary right over the film, then share it and rate it).

Additional bonus features include a new full length picture-in-picture commentary by director Snyder, interviews with Frank Miller, plus a bonus digital copy of the theatrical version of 300.
300: The Complete Experience will be packaged in a collectible 40-page Blu-ray book and will retail for $39.99 SRP.

Special Features
The Complete 300: A Comprehensive Immersion
Includes an introduction by Zack Snyder detailing how the feature functions.
NEW interactive picture-in-picture experience provides 3 unique perspectives to explore while watching the film:
Creating A Legend: Frank Miller and Zack Snyder Interpret a Classic Tale - Holding true to Frank Miller’s love of history and the importance of bringing a pure adaptation to screen in this tale-based account.
Bringing The Legend To Life: Building a World From a Comic - Blending the most talented and creative minds together to bring Frank Miller’s art to life in cinematic form.
The History Behind The Myth: The Real Story of The Hot Gates - A rich and historical perspective on the Spartans and this legendary landmark.

Plus a Special Features Army:
• Bluescreen Picture-In-Picture - Join director Zack Snyder on a personal and fascinating commentary as he compares the Bluescreen composite to the feature.
• Audio Commentary by director Zack Snyder, writer Kurt Johnstad and director of photography Larry Fong.
• The 300- Fact or Fiction? - Historians, authors and filmmakers reveal how much of the movie is based on fact. (HD)
• Who Were The Spartans: The Warriors of 300 - The customs and ways of life of the Spartans used by the actors and filmmakers to build their characters. (HD)
• Preparing for Battle: The Original Test Footage - See how Frank Miller’s images were used in a video montage that evolved into the fight scene test and ultimately convinced the studio to make the movie. (HD)
• Frank Miller Tapes - We'll show how the outspoken Miller continued to push his limits to realize his epic graphic novel, 300, in the world of theatrical film. (HD)
• Making of 300 - A look at how the movie was made
• Making 300 in Images - Rapid fire stills from the first day of production to the last
• Webisodes - Behind the scenes peeks on the set of 300.
• Production Design
• Wardrobe
• Stunt Work
• Lena Headey; Adapting The Graphic Novel
• Gerard Butler; Rodrigo Santoro; Training The Actors
• Culture of The Sparta City/State
• A Glimpse from the Set - Making 300 the Movie
• Scene Studies from 300
• Fantastic Characters of 300
• Additional Footage - Deleted scenes with introduction by Zack Snyder
Warner Bros. BD Live - Features include Media Center , My WB Commentary, and Live Community Screening
Media Center is a hub for trailers, features and content
§ You can get sneak peeks of upcoming Warner Bros. films, and rate trailers
§ You can access Exclusive Content such as interviews, featurettes, and more only seen through WB BD-Live
§ You can access Photo Galleries and other special features
Live Community Screenings -- Now connected to Facebook, you can send invitations to all of your friends across the country for virtual screenings at a specified time and chat online with each other as the movie plays on each person’s Blu-ray player. You can host your own Live Community Screening with your buddy list or participate in a WB hosted Warner Bros. BD-Live community event
My WB Commentary lets you record and post a Picture-in-Picture commentary right over the film, then share it and rate it. Using a web-camera, you can record your own comments and play them back as a Picture-in-Picture feature over the film scene you have chosen and share it with your friends or the entire Warner Bros. BD-Live Community

• Bonus Digital Copy on Disc – Theatrical version of the film compatible with iTunes and Windows Media.
• 38-Page Book Packaging – Includes a comprehensive walk-through of the navigation of The Complete Experience and additional production notes and biographies.

Synopsis
The epic graphic novel by Frank Miller (Sin City) assaults the screen with the blood, thunder and awe of its ferocious visual style faithfully recreated in an intense blend of live-action and CGI animation. Retelling the ancient Battle of Thermopylae, the film depicts the titanic clash in which King Leonidas (Gerard Butler) and 300 Spartans faced off against Xerxes (Rodrigo Santoro) and his massive Persian army. In spite of insurmountable odds, they fought to the death to defend their honor and freedom, inspiring all of Greece to unite against the enemy.

300: THE COMPLETE EXPERIENCE
BLU-RAY
Street Date: July 21, 2009
Pricing: $39.99 SRP
Running Time: 116 minutes
Rating: R (for graphic battle sequences throughout, some sexuality and nudity)
Languages: English, French, Spanish
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Spanish
DLBY/SURR DLBY/DGTL

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Vincent-P

Vincent-P

Second Unit

• 334 posts

Posted May 15 2009 - 07:22 AM

Unfortunately, this disc is not actually the "complete" experience as it lacks both the "To The Hot Gates: A Legend Retold" featurette from the bonus disc of the SD-DVD Ultimate Collector's Edition & the "300: A Storyteller's Legend" featurette from the FYE bonus disc for the original SD-DVD release. I highly implore WB to not overlook including these so that this disc can live up to its name. I purposely never bought the UCE expecting that this Blu-Ray rerelease would include that material.

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted May 15 2009 - 08:48 AM

I already have the original Blu-ray release, and bonus content isn't enough of a pull for me anymore when it comes to re-purchases. Great for those who never picked it up, though.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted May 15 2009 - 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway
I already have the original Blu-ray release, and bonus content isn't enough of a pull for me anymore when it comes to re-purchases. Great for those who never picked it up, though.

That would be me then Posted Image. I still own the DVD and I wanted to buy the BD, but had never gotten to it.
Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted May 15 2009 - 09:41 AM

No bonus material is worth a double-dip for me. As long as I have the film on Blu, that's all I need.
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,688 posts

Posted May 15 2009 - 02:01 PM

I'll be picking this up even though I have the original Blu-ray. The extras look good and I will also make use of the digital copy for my iPod. I'll just sell off the original disc as I originally bought it at a discount anyways.Posted Image
Recently watched- Four Christmases, Love & Other Drugs, Assault On Precinct 13(1976), Lovejoy Christmas Specials, Die Hard 2: Die Harder, Die Hard, Up 3D, The Grandmaster, Edge Of Tomorrow 3D, The Comedy Of Terrors, The Raven(1963), Mulholland Falls, Saturn 3, Cheers: Season 6, Nosferatu: The Vampyre, Battle Beyond The Stars

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 2, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 1, Arrow: Season 2, Star Trek: Season 1

"Now I have a machinegun.  HO-HO-HO"

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   JakeLip

JakeLip

Second Unit

• 258 posts

Posted May 17 2009 - 05:10 AM

I'll pick this up eventually as I only own the DVD of the prior release, which came out before I went Blu, but July 21 is shaping up to be an expensive date (with Pushing Daisies and Coraline) so this one will probably wait. I wonder why they specify that the digital copy is the "theatrical version." To my knowledge, the film itself has never been edited in any form for DVD or Blu release (well, other than the picture-in-picture modes on the Blu, but that's not editing the film itself so much as it is showing behind-the-scenes material embedded within.) Does anyone know if they plan on editing or expanding the film for this release? It doesn't explicitly say so but if not, that wording seems odd.

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted May 17 2009 - 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent-P
Unfortunately, this disc is not actually the "complete" experience as it lacks both the "To The Hot Gates: A Legend Retold" featurette from the bonus disc of the SD-DVD Ultimate Collector's Edition & the "300: A Storyteller's Legend" featurette from the FYE bonus disc for the original SD-DVD release. I highly implore WB to not overlook including these so that this disc can live up to its name. I purposely never bought the UCE expecting that this Blu-Ray rerelease would include that material.
From what I can tell, all of the UCE Disc 3 material is rolled up into the BD-exclusive PiP, just under a different name (i.e. "To The Hot Gates" (DVD) = "The History Behind The Myth: The Real Story of The Hot Gates" (BD)). Making not including retailer exclusives a dealbreaker is pushing it, though, seeing as how they're almost certainly prevented widescale release by contract with FYE.
"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
--Michael Scott, The Office

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Vincent-P

Vincent-P

Second Unit

• 334 posts

Posted May 19 2009 - 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Blacklow
From what I can tell, all of the UCE Disc 3 material is rolled up into the BD-exclusive PiP, just under a different name (i.e. "To The Hot Gates" (DVD) = "The History Behind The Myth: The Real Story of The Hot Gates" (BD)). Making not including retailer exclusives a dealbreaker is pushing it, though, seeing as how they're almost certainly prevented widescale release by contract with FYE.

I don't think the PIP track will include the material from the UCE. The descriptions don't seem to match. "The History Behind The Myth: The Real Story of The Hot Gates" is the name of the PIP track. But the HTF review of the UCE states:

"An additional bonus disc is included that contains a new featurette called To the Hot Gates: A Legend Retold (30:06). It is presented in 4:3 letterboxed video with English Dolby Digital 2.0 audio and available subtitles in English, French, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, and Thai. This new featurette concerns how the art, color scheme, sensibility, and tone of Frank Miller and Lynn Varley's graphic novel were translated into cinematic terms. While it does re-tread some ground from the webisodes and featurettes on the previous discs, it is the best overview of the actual movie production of all of them and fills in many, but not all, of the gaps that made the Two-Disc Special Edition seem less comprehensive than its sheer quantity of extras would seem to suggest."

That doesn't sound like they cover the same thing.

As for the FYE bonus disc (which I have, I just think Warner should include the material, as part of the Blu-Ray upgrade, for people who weren't able to get it), the new Blu-Ray release of X-Men: The Last Stand includes the material from the Wal-Mart exclusive bonus disc for that original DVD release, so it's not unheard of & not necessarily contractually blocked to include former exclusive bonus disc material. Warner's Blu-Ray & HDDVD of Syriana included featurettes that were not on the DVD release, but included on a Best Buy exclusive bonus disc.

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted May 20 2009 - 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent-P
I don't think the PIP track will include the material from the UCE. The descriptions don't seem to match. "The History Behind The Myth: The Real Story of The Hot Gates" is the name of the PIP track[...]That doesn't sound like they cover the same thing.
I'm pretty dure that on other titles, they broke up DVD extras into PiP for Blu-ray (and HD DVD). Until the disc comes out, we can't confirm that, but the descriptions look close enough to me, and not related to any other features, that I would expect that to be the case.
Quote:
As for the FYE bonus disc (which I have, I just think Warner should include the material, as part of the Blu-Ray upgrade, for people who weren't able to get it), the new Blu-Ray release of X-Men: The Last Stand includes the material from the Wal-Mart exclusive bonus disc for that original DVD release, so it's not unheard of & not necessarily contractually blocked to include former exclusive bonus disc material. Warner's Blu-Ray & HDDVD of Syriana included featurettes that were not on the DVD release, but included on a Best Buy exclusive bonus disc.
I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but it's rare enough that I would neither expect it nor make it a dealbreaker.
"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
--Michael Scott, The Office

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   ScottJH

ScottJH

Second Unit

• 485 posts

Posted May 20 2009 - 08:56 AM

Besides the two titles Vincent mentioned there is also:

Top Gun/Best Buy bonus disc

Sahara/Best Buy bonus disc

Sky Captain & The World of Tomorrow/Wal-Mart bonus disc.

Which have been ported over to their Blu-Ray counterpart.

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow