-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Front speakers for under $300

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 SCcobra4me

SCcobra4me

Stunt Coordinator

• 100 posts

Posted May 14 2009 - 05:26 PM

Just wondering what you guys recommend for some good front speakers?? I recently bought a pair of Bose 191 in wall speakers but am not sure if I should use them or sell them and get something different. I bought them for $50, and yes, they are brand new. I want to sell them maybe and get something different, something that will give me some good midrange also. Just looking for some good advice, thanks ahead of time

I'm leaning toward some Boston Acoustics HS 450's, anyone using these or know anything about them.

#2 of 18 SCcobra4me

SCcobra4me

Stunt Coordinator

• 100 posts

Posted May 16 2009 - 10:35 AM

Noone has any recommendations, impressive.

#3 of 18 David Willow

David Willow

Screenwriter

• 1,986 posts
  • LocationMechanicsburg, PA

Posted May 16 2009 - 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCcobra4me
Noone has any recommendations, impressive.

Impressive? Come on. You want an answer for an difficult question in 24 hours on a weekend? Difficult because most $300 speakers will sound like $300 speakers.

You don't mention if you have a sub. You don't mention what you will be using to drive them. You don't mention what they will be used for. And you don't realize it is you that has to listen and make the choice.

#4 of 18 member666

member666

Stunt Coordinator

• 67 posts

Posted May 18 2009 - 01:02 PM

Quote:
I'm leaning toward some Boston Acoustics HS 450's, anyone using these or know anything about them.Posted Image

Is there a huge difference between the Midnight and the Mist speakers? Posted Image
Party People

#5 of 18 JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,488 posts

Posted May 18 2009 - 01:29 PM

Ryan, you will do better to do some reading. Your basic question has been asked at least 1,000 times before and I suspect members are tired of trying to answer it. So, look through the forum and you will find answers to even more questions than you have thought of.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#6 of 18 SCcobra4me

SCcobra4me

Stunt Coordinator

• 100 posts

Posted May 22 2009 - 06:29 PM

I went with some KLH shelf speakers, I found them off craigslist, this lady only wanted $150 for the pair. Are these good, she said they were top of the line?

#7 of 18 troy evans

troy evans

Screenwriter

• 1,294 posts

Posted May 22 2009 - 08:27 PM

Quote:
I went with some KLH shelf speakers, I found them off craigslist, this lady only wanted $150 for the pair. Are these good, she said they were top of the line?
Well, since you've already "went with" them, our opinion would seem irrelevant. If you like them that's what matters. As far as finding good front speakers, you need to up the budget. Think $300 a speaker or more, not $300 a pair.
" I think it's time we go to plan B". "What's plan B?" "That's the one where we don't do something stupid".

#8 of 18 JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,488 posts

Posted May 23 2009 - 03:30 AM

KLH is almost as far from "Top of the Line" as you can get, but it depends a little on what era they are. There was a time around 30 years ago when KLH made some decent speakers, but most likely they're newer and in in Cerwin Vega territory. $150 is probably high even if they were new, without really knowing specifically what they are.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#9 of 18 gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,690 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted May 23 2009 - 05:47 AM

I think you can get some pretty good speakers for $300 a pair. Fry's had the Infinity Primus P362's on sale for a day last week for $99 each. O.K so they aren't Egglestons but they're pretty good for the price. And Beta 20's can be had on Harmans eBay store for well under $300 shipped. TigerDirect and CompUSA.com have them for $220 a pair shipped but I'm not sure of there return and warranty policies. It's not just what to buy but where to look. Vanns, OneCall, SaturdayAudio, Ac4l, even Fry's has real good deals on closeout and returned speakers etc. Check CraigsList and Audiogon for used speakers. With that budget you have to be flexible but you can still get some pretty good speakers if you look around. As for the KLH's, most likely you didn't look around long enough Posted Image .

I've never heard the Boston 450's but I've read good things about them.

Sell the Bose. 'Nuff said.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#10 of 18 SCcobra4me

SCcobra4me

Stunt Coordinator

• 100 posts

Posted May 23 2009 - 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene c
I think you can get some pretty good speakers for $300 a pair. Fry's had the Infinity Primus P362's on sale for a day last week for $99 each. O.K so they aren't Egglestons but they're pretty good for the price. And Beta 20's can be had on Harmans eBay store for well under $300 shipped. TigerDirect and CompUSA.com have them for $220 a pair shipped but I'm not sure of there return and warranty policies. It's not just what to buy but where to look. Vanns, OneCall, SaturdayAudio, Ac4l, even Fry's has real good deals on closeout and returned speakers etc. Check CraigsList and Audiogon for used speakers. With that budget you have to be flexible but you can still get some pretty good speakers if you look around. As for the KLH's, most likely you didn't look around long enough Posted Image .

I've never heard the Boston 450's but I've read good things about them.

Sell the Bose. 'Nuff said.

Gene, thanks for the good info, this is exactly what I was looking for, I appreciate it. Oh, and as for the KLH's, I was kidding but it looked like it worked, I got a few members attention and the info I was looking for. Come on, did you guys really think I would use KLH's and consider them "high end"
. Posted Image

But, I understand I'm not going to get the best of the best for $300, and can't afford what some on here have and wouldn't even if I could. I just want something nice. I did however for the time being just for music sake in the basement pick up a Sony str de185 and a pair of Sony SS F5000's almost new for $80. I do have a Harman Kardon AVR247 upstairs with a Cerwin Vega 300 watt 12" that may move downstairs, I put JBL 8" coaxial in ceiling speakers upstairs so bringing them downstairs is not an option which is why I'm looking for a nice pair of front speakers to start with. I want to bring my theatre downstairs because my new house is way too open and my sub just isn't doing the work it did in my old house but should sound much better in the basement due to the size room it'll be in.

But thanks again Gene for the info, I'm going to start searching.

#11 of 18 JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,488 posts

Posted May 24 2009 - 04:23 AM

Quote:
Oh, and as for the KLH's, I was kidding but it looked like it worked, I got a few members attention and the info I was looking for. Come on, did you guys really think I would use KLH's and consider them "high end"

You already said you bought some Bose, so yes.

Your games aren't exactly in line with receiving reliable advice, or encouraging informed people to respond. Why would anyone with anything worth saying want to take the time to respond now?

The Hybrid System

#12 of 18 David Willow

David Willow

Screenwriter

• 1,986 posts
  • LocationMechanicsburg, PA

Posted May 24 2009 - 04:56 AM

You know, a few days ago I was going to respond (and then I read your 2nd post). Perhaps you could search now and find out my recommendation. It's the default cheap speaker company I recommend to everyone who asks (nicely, without being an ass).

Meanwhile, enjoy the BOSE, Sony, KLH, and whatever other junk you have wasted money on....

#13 of 18 SCcobra4me

SCcobra4me

Stunt Coordinator

• 100 posts

Posted May 24 2009 - 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRice
You already said you bought some Bose, so yes.

Why would anyone with anything worth saying want to take the time to respond now?

In case you missed it, I said I was going to sell them for something else, pretty much the main reason why I came on here for advice. Yes, my second comment was uncalled for, I'm used to other forums where there are many more members and advice comes quick.

And I don't need anymore advice, I already got it, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Willow
Perhaps you could search now and find out my recommendation. It's the default cheap speaker company I recommend to everyone who asks (nicely, without being an ass).

Meanwhile, enjoy the BOSE, Sony, KLH, and whatever other junk you have wasted money on....

Speaking of junk!!! You might want to take a look at that room your equiptment is in, DAYUM!!!!!! You should be investing your money into that house instead of all this home theatre equiptment. Just friendly advice.
(Nicely, without being an ass!!)

#14 of 18 troy evans

troy evans

Screenwriter

• 1,294 posts

Posted May 24 2009 - 06:07 PM

Quote:
Speaking of junk!!! You might want to take a look at that room your equiptment is in, DAYUM!!!!!! You should be investing your money into that house instead of all this home theatre equiptment. Just friendly advice.
(Nicely, without being an ass!!)
Ryan,
You don't spell Equipment with a "t". Just a tip....and I noticed you did it twice, impressive.
" I think it's time we go to plan B". "What's plan B?" "That's the one where we don't do something stupid".

#15 of 18 SCcobra4me

SCcobra4me

Stunt Coordinator

• 100 posts

Posted May 25 2009 - 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy evans
Ryan,
You don't spell Equipment with a "t". Just a tip....and I noticed you did it twice, impressive.

Yeah, and you're supposed to CAPITALIZE all names there Troy Evans, thanks for pointing that out though.

#16 of 18 troy evans

troy evans

Screenwriter

• 1,294 posts

Posted May 25 2009 - 07:21 PM

No problem, RYAN.

#17 of 18 vintagestuff

vintagestuff

Agent

• 34 posts

Posted May 29 2009 - 07:40 AM

At a flea market you might find some really nice tower speakers like Sony or Kenwood

#18 of 18 sestamuch

sestamuch

Stunt Coordinator

• 246 posts

Posted May 29 2009 - 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagestuff
At a flea market you might find some really nice tower speakers like Sony or Kenwood

And also remember fleebay Posted Image

Back to Beginners, General Questions & HTiB (Home Theater in a Box)

Forum Nav Content I Follow