Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Star Trek: Motion Picture Trilogy

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 of 51 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,352 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted May 14 2009 - 12:57 AM

#2 of 51 OFFLINE   Dan Keliikoa

Dan Keliikoa

Stunt Coordinator

• 199 posts

Posted May 14 2009 - 03:00 AM

Thank you, Matt! Great review.

Your closing line is the key for many people to base their decisions on.

Not to mention that I believe many enthusiasts of Wrath of Khan would have paid 39.00 just for the remastered Khan in Bluray if that were the only Trek film in BD for now. Just consider III and IV as bonuses! Posted Image
"He is not Herbert. We reach!"

#3 of 51 OFFLINE   Brian L

Brian L

Screenwriter

• 2,882 posts

Posted May 14 2009 - 04:20 AM

I did EXACTLY that! Glad it was the best of the bunch. Brian

#4 of 51 OFFLINE   Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,857 posts

Posted May 14 2009 - 04:33 AM

One minor historical note about the writing of these three films.

Star Trek II was actually a screenplay by Nicholas Meyer. When he came onto the project there were multiple scripts, all based on different concepts. Meyer sat down with Bennett (and others) and compiled what they liked best about each script, took the distilled ingredients and wrote a script from those notes. As Meyer discusses in his commentary (and in the interview extracts in Shatner's MOVIE MEMORIES book), he was able to accomodate the various story elements, as well as the notes and criticisms he received from Nimoy and Shatner, and the result is the script that was filmed. Both Shatner and Nimoy have commented that Meyer was able to address their issues very quickly, with revised scripts being sent out to them within days of their meetings. Meyer has admitted it was not a smart idea to waive his writing credit, but it worked out pretty well - he wound up scripting a good chunk of IV, and writing/directing VI.

Star Trek III was indeed written by Bennett.

Star Trek IV had a more "involved" writing history, partly due to the thought of having Eddie Murphy play the role that eventually went to Catherine Hicks. The actual story for the film came from Nimoy in its most basic form. Meerson and Krikes wrote drafts of the script based on the Murphy character, but these didn't meet with Nimoy's approval and wound up being totally unusable once Murphy dropped out. With very little time left, Bennett began writing the script himself again, with Nicholas Meyer contributing the 20th century portion. (He has been repeatedly quoted as saying his material starts with the line "Judging from the pollution content in the atmosphere, I would say we have arrived in the late 20th century.") Meyer has also acknowledged that he used several ideas that were left over from his film Time After Time, which similarly deals with time travel, only in the opposite direction.

#5 of 51 OFFLINE   Dan Keliikoa

Dan Keliikoa

Stunt Coordinator

• 199 posts

Posted May 14 2009 - 05:10 AM

I wound up picking up the Trilogy set at lunch today not long after reading the review. 42 bucks, figured it's hard to go wrong, and makes the inevitable double-dip for the other films later on less painful. I doubt Khan will ever be any better while the other films will hopefully get the Directors Editions and the same restoration work that was lavished on Khan.

#6 of 51 OFFLINE   Wayne_j

Wayne_j

Supporting Actor

• 857 posts

Posted May 14 2009 - 06:42 AM

Just a small nitpick. Khan and his crew are human but are products of selective breeding. They took control of large portions of the Earth in the 1990s and escaped in the Earth's most advanced ship of the time when they were on the verge of losing. They survived over 200 years in the ship due to sleep capsules they put themselves in.

#7 of 51 OFFLINE   Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 2,263 posts

Posted May 14 2009 - 11:08 AM

Thanks for the review Matt! I'm still on the bubble with the Trek films on blu ray. I appreciated the insight on the video and audio of each of the films. Sounds like there are some nice new extras on this set too. I might go for it as others are saying here, it's worth $40 just to have a nice properly restored copy of Wrath of Khan. Side note: I really am enjoying the CBS Star Trek The Original Series blu ray set. The episodes were remastered from the original camera negatives and look wonderful! If only CBS had handled the Star Trek feature films as well!

#8 of 51 OFFLINE   Brian L

Brian L

Screenwriter

• 2,882 posts

Posted May 14 2009 - 11:30 AM

What a great post! I have watched Khan more times than I can count, yet I never understood how the crew of the Botany Bay had sworn allegiance to Khan 200 years before Terrell was born. I too assumed they were aliens or somehow lived that long because they were genetically altered. Is this something that was mentioned on one of the extra features? I tend not to watch the extras. Brian

#9 of 51 OFFLINE   David Norman

David Norman

Screenwriter

• 2,209 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted May 14 2009 - 12:03 PM

All of that information was in the original TV episode "Space Seed" where Kirk found Khan's ship and revived Khan's crew from the sleep chambers.

#10 of 51 OFFLINE   AaronMK

AaronMK

Supporting Actor

• 768 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted May 14 2009 - 12:47 PM

'Gangs of New York' left a bad taste in my mouth. It may be a knee-jerk reaction, but after that, I am not purchasing blu-rays that have been stripped of their real detail to please the "I want a clean image on my HD display" people. I am also not playing this game of having to purchase titles I would not have purchased otherwise to get the titles I actually want. Do to the filtering, I don't want III and IV, so as others have mentioned, that gives II a $40 street price. Great movie, but not worth it to me. These will be double dipped, and I am confident that once people get over this "clean image" mentality, just as they got over Pan and Scan, we'll get quality releases of these titles. Until then there are plenty of well mastered titles to hold me over.

#11 of 51 OFFLINE   Brian L

Brian L

Screenwriter

• 2,882 posts

Posted May 14 2009 - 01:50 PM

Guess I need to get the TOS BR Box, eh? ;-) I have never seen that episode. Brian

#12 of 51 OFFLINE   David Norman

David Norman

Screenwriter

• 2,209 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted May 14 2009 - 02:11 PM

One of the great episodes of TOS. You definitely need to find it somewhere/somehow. Geez, I must really be older than I think to know that folks haven't seen these episodes -- of course I saw that episode as a first run at an impressionable stage and it permanently branded my brain ST Friendly

#13 of 51 OFFLINE   Brian L

Brian L

Screenwriter

• 2,882 posts

Posted May 14 2009 - 02:21 PM

Actually, I just ordered it from CD Universe. Episode 23 and 24, IIRC on one DVD. Obviously it's SD DVD, but for $18 delivered, what the hell? I really NEED to get up to speed on Khan's back story. ;-) And truth be told, I am plenty old enough to have seen this when it was new, but I came to ST kind of late, and am sad to say that there are many TOS episodes I probably have not seen. Brian

#14 of 51 OFFLINE   Mark Walker

Mark Walker

Screenwriter

• 2,703 posts

Posted May 14 2009 - 02:43 PM

Thanks for the review, Matt. I will be Netflixing these, as I am very much the commentary track and factoid (aka "library computer") freak. The price is quite good, and I will see if I image bothers me enough, though I am avoiding titles I know will be released again later. I want to buy Blu-rays ONCE.

Paramount, please release DRAGONSLAYER on Blu-ray

Dragonslayer_1981HTF_zps4e370848.jpg

Vermithrax Pejorative deserves to be seen in high-def.

#15 of 51 OFFLINE   Mike_Richardson

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor

• 639 posts

Posted May 14 2009 - 03:54 PM

None of these transfers is anywhere as bad as GANGS OF NEW YORK.

#16 of 51 OFFLINE   Dan Keliikoa

Dan Keliikoa

Stunt Coordinator

• 199 posts

Posted May 15 2009 - 01:42 AM

I watched some of WOK last night and some of STIII. Khan looked wonderful of course, but I was quite impressed how good STIII looked. I have a Sammy 52" LCD, 1080p/PS3 setup, I guess I'm just not as sensitive to DNR as some. I haven't checked out IV yet, but II and III looked really nice to my eyes.

#17 of 51 OFFLINE   AaronMK

AaronMK

Supporting Actor

• 768 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted May 15 2009 - 03:53 AM

And that is the other reason, if these transfers don't end up being so bad, I might have bit if I thought this was going to be the only release, but we all know it isn't.

#18 of 51 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,919 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted May 15 2009 - 04:37 AM

I wonder whether double-dips will be as frequent on BD as they were on SD-DVD. People aren't buying BDs the way they bought DVDs.
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#19 of 51 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,065 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted May 15 2009 - 04:40 AM

It probably won't get as ridiculous as it with DVDs but Star Trek is a guaranteed money machine with a fanbase that will keep buying and buying and buying.

#20 of 51 OFFLINE   Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

• 1,868 posts

Posted May 15 2009 - 04:57 AM

How about $27.99 + tax @ Fry's Electronics???

FYI: May 15th 2009 Fry's Friday SJ Mercury insert (page 7) ...

Blu-ray:

Star Trek Original Motion Picture Collection (#1 - #6)** = $59.99 + tax

Star Trek Trilogy (#2 - #4)** = $27.99 + tax

Hurry, they are sold out @ Sunnyvale Fry's as of 8:25am!!! They might have more in the back (which I doubt - but you can ask)!?!?
My HT Enthusiasts Google Website
---- Toshiba 62HM196 62" 1080p DLP HDTV pic's (#1 in Consumer Reports)
DVD Aficionado (DVDAF) on-going list.
Acquisition Rule #59 “Free advice is seldom cheap.” (Quark @ DS9)
JBL S-Series + SVS 25-31PCi (SN: 00034) w/NSD Upgrade!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users