Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Warner Bros. announces 10 new Catalog Titles for September 8th!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 of 43 Mr. Pacino

Mr. Pacino

Second Unit

• 346 posts

Posted May 13 2009 - 12:32 AM

According Blu-ray.com - Blu-ray Movies, Players, Recorders, Media and Software Warner will release 10 catalog titles on September 8th.

Titles are: Freddie vs. Jason, Over the Top, The Postman, Sphere and so on...

I´m disappointed as far as the titles selection is concerned. There are so many great Warner titles and they´re releasing such a shit!

I won´t buy anything !!!

#2 of 43 RDarrylR

RDarrylR

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts

Posted May 13 2009 - 12:33 AM

Yeah a rather disappointing list. Maybe The Postman for me from that list but nothing else.

#3 of 43 Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted May 13 2009 - 12:39 AM

Hurray!! Nice to see Warner releasing such a big batch of um....classics.......pfft.

More fodder for the bargain bins. Posted Image Though I might pick up Creepshow and Dead Calm if the PQ is up to snuff.........then only for under $10.
Death before Streaming!

#4 of 43 Bryan Beckman

Bryan Beckman

Second Unit

• 272 posts

Posted May 13 2009 - 12:45 AM

Why no love for The New World? I'm ecstatic to see it on the list, even if it is only the extended cut.

Malick in hi-def? Throw it on a BD50 and give it a healthy bitrate and TrueHD audio, and I'm there.

As for the other films . . . meh.

#5 of 43 Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted May 13 2009 - 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Beckman
Why no love for The New World? I'm ecstatic to see it on the list, even if it is only the extended cut.

Didn't care much for it. The only Malick film that would make me excited is Badlands. But that's me. Though I do understand Malick has a strong following for all 4 Posted Image of his films.
Death before Streaming!

#6 of 43 James L White

James L White

Supporting Actor

• 840 posts

Posted May 13 2009 - 12:57 AM

terrible selection
Where's more Eastwood films? Funny Farm? etc
Samsung HL-S5688W 56" DLP
Panasonic TC-P50X1 50" Plasma TV (bedroom)
Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD's
Panasonic BMP-BD60
Sony BDP300 Blu Rays (bedroom)

#7 of 43 Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,087 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted May 13 2009 - 01:00 AM

Most of these are throw away excuses for just getting a film out on blu.

I am interested in Creepshow, and possibly Dead Calm. New World is a decent choice it has a following.

Too bad we can't get higher class catalog releases like Zabriskie Point announced for Blu so I don't have to buy the standard DVD edition next month... I have a feeling the sales for it won't be as good as could be cause some won't buy dvd they'll pass.

Other than that sort of a sorry list.

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 LG BD550 Region Free 
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#8 of 43 Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted May 13 2009 - 01:13 AM

Yeesh! What a bunch of shit. The only potentially saving grace here would be if these were another batch of their 'budget' priced titles. Even if that were the case, there is little there I would feel compelled to buy immediately.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#9 of 43 Tim-H.

Tim-H.

Second Unit

• 427 posts

Posted May 13 2009 - 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Beckman

I second that, although it would be nice to have the theatrical and extended cuts.
Watch THE SNUGGIE KILLER on YouTube!

#10 of 43 Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted May 13 2009 - 02:49 AM

I would love to have Badlands in HD. It's long overdue for an improved re-issue. But I'm still thrilled to see the Extended Cut of TNW finally making it out. The theatrical version had a glimmer of greatness for me, but was problematical. I look forward to seeing how the EC alters my initial impression.
That release alone well makes up for the rest I have no interest in.

#11 of 43 David Deeb

David Deeb

Supporting Actor

• 837 posts

Posted May 13 2009 - 02:54 AM

Catwoman????????????????????

I can't think of 1 movie more hated than this. I've never even seen it and all I've heard from people that have is sheer hate.

But having said that, I'm still a big Warner fan. I'm happy that catalog titles continue to get released on BD. Maybe not my favorites here, but I'm sure some will enjoy them, and I can only think that my catalog favorites will eventually get to BD.

#12 of 43 Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,959 posts

Posted May 13 2009 - 02:55 AM

The New World is my favorite film of the past decade, and nothing else comes anywhere close. So this is a huge announcement for me. Creepshow also sounds good.

But I'm happier for Malick on HD than any blockbuster could make me.
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#13 of 43 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,026 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted May 13 2009 - 03:36 AM

I will most definitely be getting The New World.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#14 of 43 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,328 posts

Posted May 13 2009 - 03:41 AM

If they want BluRay to be more prominent in the marketplace, maybe they shouldn't brag about releasing a collection of 10 bombs all in one day.

#15 of 43 Mike_Richardson

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor

• 639 posts

Posted May 13 2009 - 03:51 AM

Unbelievable selection -- for all the WRONG reasons. I honestly do not understand the strategy for the life of me. Yes I applaud Warner for mining their back catalog. Yes I'm happy THE NEW WORLD is coming.

But of all the thousands of movies they have access to, they choose CATWOMAN? SPHERE? THE POSTMAN? OVER THE TOP?

Are you KIDDING me?

#16 of 43 willyTass

willyTass

Second Unit

• 348 posts

Posted May 13 2009 - 04:14 AM

more shit.

Hello warner ! not everyone who owns a ps3 is a 16 yo on ritalin

#17 of 43 Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,108 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted May 13 2009 - 04:15 AM

Seems like good mainstream stuff that your casual movie fan will bite on.

I'm surprised people are still expecting classic titles. If classic titles on SD aren't selling I'm not sure why we're expecting them to sell on Blu.

I'll pick up FREDDY VS JASON if the price is around $15. CREEPSHOW as well if it's the extended or Special Edition that was released overseas. I enjoy OVER THE TOP in a "so horrible it's funny" way but won't be upgrading it.

#18 of 43 Gekkou

Gekkou

Stunt Coordinator

• 102 posts

Posted May 13 2009 - 04:37 AM

Hmm. I thought Dead Calm was quite good, but I don't think I need to own it.

I haven't seen The New World, but none of the others interest me.

This is a rather odd batch from Warner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyTass
Hello warner ! not everyone who owns a ps3 is a 16 yo on ritalin
Hey, I own a PS3 and I was on Ritalin when I was 16, but... ah nevermind. Posted Image

#19 of 43 David Wilkins

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor

• 823 posts

Posted May 13 2009 - 05:33 AM

'The New World' makes the rest of the tepid list bearable.

#20 of 43 Danny_N

Danny_N

Stunt Coordinator

• 245 posts

Posted May 13 2009 - 06:01 AM

It looks like Warner is cutting back on its number of classic releases per year. It's very sad that they apparently expect recent crap like Catwoman to sell better than a classic like for instance Forbidden Planet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow