Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

NOOB HOME THEATER HELP PLZZ!!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Angrypolak

Angrypolak

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted May 12 2009 - 08:56 PM

Hello, i am new to the home theater scene, so be gentle :-D. First i'd like to start off with what i currently own. I just bought Panasonic SC-H7740 surround sound NEW, it is a 5.1 surround sound system without the receiver. I have 5 speakers and one sub woofer. The main thing about this thread is where can i find an extremely cheap receiver, or what i am trying to find basically just a dvd player that i can hook everything up with. Most surround sound system i see come with a dvd receiver and i have been having a tough time finding one. I basically want to hook everything up to my 720p HDTV as cheap as possible. Another concern i have is do i HAVE to have an authentic receiver and not just a dvd receiver to play my xbox 360 through it so i can have surround sound? Please give me some kind of help, thank you!

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   SethH

SethH

Screenwriter

• 2,867 posts

Posted May 12 2009 - 10:28 PM

I looked on Panasonic's website and also did a google search and I cannot find the model number you listed for your surround system.

Generally speaking, you do need a receiver because the receiver supplies power to your speakers. A DVD player is just an audio/video source and it does not produce any power to run speakers.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   genedjr

genedjr

Agent

• 33 posts

Posted May 13 2009 - 07:05 AM

I also looked at this route when I first started looking. There are very inexpensive receivers (>$200) that can fill that role. But, I am confused on what you already have.

You identified speakers, but what is driving them today? I use my old Yammy RX-v890 receiver for 5.1 surround sound and let my SV420XVT TV deal with the HD stuff (including xbox component input).

Please list everything you have as completely as possible.
...gene
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V890
HDTV: Vizio SV420XVT
DVD Player: Sony DVP-NC615
Blu-Ray Player: Panasonic DMP-BD60
Cable Box: Motorola DCT6412 (Comcast)Center Speaker: Infinity RS-VideoL/R Speakers: Infinity 625Rear Speakers: Infinity 325Subwoofer: Klipsch SW-8 II

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter

• 1,573 posts

Posted May 13 2009 - 09:36 AM

I am guessing you have the SC-HT740 rather than the SC-H7740. But it didn't come with receiver? Open-box? Second-hand?

Most DVD/receivers are only available as part of a package with speakers. In the long run you are better off with a receiver anyway, the combo units often only allow one external digital component, if any. You are OK with just the xbox, but then if you want to add DVR or Blu-ray you are in trouble, have to start adding manual switchboxes = hassle. I would recommend the Yamaha RX-V465 @ ~$330 if you want a cheap one. Lowest I would go is maybe the Sony STR-DG820 @ ~$270.

There are plenty of cheap DVD players available, but if I was looking to save money I would just use the xbox 360 as the DVD player until you are ready for Blu-ray.