-

Photo

WHV Press Release: TCM Classic Films Collection Wave 3

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 of 25 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,586 posts

Posted May 11 2009 - 01:42 AM

TCM GREATEST CLASSIC FILMS COLLECTION
WAVE 3
WARNER HOME VIDEO AND TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES TO RELEASE THREE MORE COLLECTIONS ON SEPTEMBER 1

Burbank, Calif., May 11, 2009 – Another group of timeless treasures will be released this fall as Warner Home Video and Turner Classic Movies introduce three additional four-title sets from the TCM Greatest Classic Films Collection on September 1, 2009. Starting this past February, the collections have been made available in separate waves and promoted throughout the year on TCM. (A complete listing of all collections is included below.)

This latest installment consists of 1) TCM Greatest Classic Films Collection: Murder Mysteries -- The Big Sleep, Dial M for Murder, The Maltese Falcon, and The Postman Always Rings Twice; 2) TCM Greatest Classic Films Collection: Horror -- Freaks, House of Wax, The Haunting, Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde; and 3) TCM Greatest Classic Films Collection: Sci-Fi -- 2001: A Space Odyssey, Forbidden Planet, Soylent Green and The Time Machine. Each collection is affordably priced at $27.92 SRP.

The 12 films above showcase the talents of Hollywood icons such as Humphrey Bogart, Spencer Tracy, Charlton Heston, Vincent Price, Lauren Bacall, Grace Kelly, Ingrid Bergman, Lana Turner and more.

TCM Greatest Classic Films Collection stands as the largest-ever partnership between Warner Home Video and Turner Classic Movies. The initiative combines the strengths of the companies in serving both serious film buffs and a new generation of movie lovers. The TCM Greatest Classic Films Collection builds on the success of previous joint initiatives between Turner Classic Movies and Warner Home Video, including the TCM Archives series and the TCM Spotlight series.

Warner Home Video, which owns the world’s largest film library, has more Best Picture Oscar® wins (22) than any other studio and its films have garnered more than 300 Academy Awards®.

Turner Classic Movies is currently seen in more than 80 million homes and will support Warner Home Video and the new collection with extensive marketing. TCM’s marketing plan includes print ads in TCM’s popular Now Playing guide, banners on tcm.com, and on-air mentions by the network’s renowned primetime host, Robert Osborne.

WAVE ONE -- Release Date: February 3, 2009
TCM Greatest Classic Films: Romantic Dramas
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
A Streetcar Named Desire
Rebel Without a Cause
East of Eden

TCM Greatest Classic Films: Best Picture Winners
Casablanca
An American in Paris
Gigi
Mrs. Miniver

TCM Greatest Classic Films: Romantic Comedies
The Philadelphia Story
Bringing Up Baby
Adam’s Rib
Woman of the Year

WAVE TWO -- Release Date: May 5, 2009
TCM Greatest Classic Films: American Musicals
Singin’ in the Rain
Easter Parade
The Band Wagon
Meet Me in St. Louis

TCM Greatest Classic Films: Broadway Musicals
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
Annie Get Your Gun
Show Boat (1951)
Kiss Me Kate

TCM Greatest Classic Films: Western Adventures
Jeremiah Johnson
The Train Robbers
The Wild Bunch
McCabe & Mrs. Miller

TCM Greatest Classic Films: John Wayne Westerns
The Searchers
Fort Apache
Rio Bravo
The Cowboys
TCM Greatest Classic Films: WWII Battlefront Europe
Kelly’s Heroes
The Dirty Dozen
Where Eagles Dare
Battleground

TCM Greatest Classic Films: War - Battlefront Asia
The Green Berets
Destination Tokyo
Bataan
Back to Bataan

WAVE THREE -- Release Date: September 1, 2009
TCM Greatest Classic Films: Murder Mysteries
The Big Sleep
Dial M For Murder
The Maltese Falcon (1941)
The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946)
TCM Greatest Classic Films: Horror
Freaks
House of Wax
The Haunting (1963)
Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde (1931)

TCM Greatest Classic Films: Sci-Fi
2001: A Space Odyssey
Forbidden Planet
Soylent Green
The Time Machine (1960)

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 25 Richard M S

Richard M S

Supporting Actor

• 625 posts

Posted May 11 2009 - 01:56 AM

They are releasing press releases for September already? What happened to the promised Esther Williams Collection Volume 2 due out in the summer, per the last Warners chat?

#3 of 25 Jay E

Jay E

Screenwriter

• 2,485 posts

Posted May 11 2009 - 02:50 AM

And people thought that the archives would have a negative affect on Warner's committment to it's regular DVD releases...Posted Image

#4 of 25 Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 5,998 posts

Posted May 11 2009 - 02:59 AM

Haven't most (if not all) of these already been released to DVD?

#5 of 25 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,445 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted May 11 2009 - 03:02 AM

All.

Sony has become Warner and Warner has transmogrified into Paramount. Strange days...
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#6 of 25 Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor

• 849 posts

Posted May 11 2009 - 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hodson
Sony has become Warner and Warner has transmogrified into Paramount.
or Universal in its squeeze-all-you-can-onto-one-disc phase.

I wonder what demographic these waves really serve?

#7 of 25 Jay E

Jay E

Screenwriter

• 2,485 posts

Posted May 11 2009 - 03:39 AM

Quote:
All.

Sony has become Warner and Warner has transmogrified into Paramount. Strange days...

Posted Image

#8 of 25 cajunhillbilly

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter

• 1,732 posts

Posted May 11 2009 - 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay E
Posted Image

LOL

#9 of 25 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,144 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted May 11 2009 - 06:50 AM

Just proves that Warner has a huge amount of unsold stock.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#10 of 25 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,445 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted May 11 2009 - 07:26 AM

Of Casa-bloody-blanca? In the world of positive spin, that's speculative straw-grasping of the highest order.
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#11 of 25 Livius

Livius

Second Unit

• 407 posts

Posted May 11 2009 - 08:05 AM

So July and August are going to bring absolutely no new classic releases from WHV? Or have I missed something?
Riding the High Country - My Movie Blog

#12 of 25 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,144 posts

Posted May 11 2009 - 08:30 AM

Quote:
Of Casa-bloody-blanca? In the world of positive spin, that's speculative straw-grasping of the highest order.
Not necessarily of every title in those box sets. But I'd bet that 1-2 titles of a box are being used to help sell 2-3 titles that have extra stock that has yet to sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livius
So July and August are going to bring absolutely no new classic releases from WHV? Or have I missed something?
It's very possible, given the media push for the Archive. They could also announce a few titles.

Times they are a changin', no doubt about it.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#13 of 25 Marcel H.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor

• 553 posts

Posted May 11 2009 - 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway
Not necessarily of every title in those box sets. But I'd bet that 1-2 titles of a box are being used to help sell 2-3 titles that have extra stock that has yet to sell.

Or to attract new customers with those cheap bundles in order to "create" the classic fan of tomorrow.
Recently bought: Tracy & Hepburn the Definitive Coll., The Mountain, Rope of Sand, Taxi Driver (BD), Heroes of Telemark, Night of the Generals
Pre-Order: Knock on Any Door, The Outlaw Josey Wales (BD), The Man Who Would Be King (BD), Night Flight, The Hustler (BD)...
My Collection

#14 of 25 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,144 posts

Posted May 11 2009 - 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel H.
Or to attract new customers with those cheap bundles in order to "create" the classic fan of tomorrow.
They wouldn't mind this, but I doubt it's reason #1.

#15 of 25 mdnitoil

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor

• 775 posts

Posted May 11 2009 - 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay E
And people thought that the archives would have a negative affect on Warner's committment to it's regular DVD releases...Posted Image
Cute.

It just wasn't that long ago that I would get excited to find that Warner held the rights to a film I wanted. Now not so much. I still haven't been able to wrap my head around this shift. Just wait until we get the news that the Bowery Boys will be slated for the Archives. Posted Image

#16 of 25 WadeM

WadeM

Supporting Actor

• 894 posts

Posted May 11 2009 - 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike*HTF
I wonder what demographic these waves really serve?

Well, even though I have a large percentage of the movies in these waves, I have none of the movies in the Sci-Fi set...and with that price...that may change.

#17 of 25 JeffMc

JeffMc

Supporting Actor

• 529 posts
  • LocationAntarctica

Posted May 11 2009 - 11:12 AM

An old Doors song keeps popping into my head.

(hint: Apocalypse Now)

#18 of 25 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,690 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted May 11 2009 - 11:55 AM

I do not think this indicates that WB will no release other catalog titles in July and August. This announcement is for the TCM series of previously released titles. It also lists the entire series starting in February. As I recall, this same announcement was posted sometime in November or December of last year.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#19 of 25 Livius

Livius

Second Unit

• 407 posts

Posted May 11 2009 - 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahollis
I do not think this indicates that WB will no release other catalog titles in July and August.

In the past, didn't they usually make announcements about three months in advance? Maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised but I'm not holding my breath.
Riding the High Country - My Movie Blog

#20 of 25 MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted May 12 2009 - 01:26 PM

yawn.

What are the chances that House of Wax and Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde will be sourced from more recently remastered transfers?

yeah right...

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow