Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Press Release: Natural Born Killers Director's Cut (Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,561 posts

Posted May 11 2009 - 01:07 AM

“«««« Seeing this movie once is not enough. The first time is for the visceral experience, the second time is for the meaning." -- Chicago Sun-Times, Roger Ebert
“The best movie of the ‘90s. Powerfully audacious filmmaking.” -- Entertainment Weekly, Owen Gleiberman

NATURAL BORN KILLERS
DIRECTOR’S CUT
One of the Most Controversial Movies Ever,
Now Available in its Original Unrated Version
on Blu-ray from Warner Home Video August 25
Includes New Introduction from Stone, New featurette,
NBK Evolution: How Would It All Go Down Now?, and More

Burbank, Calif., May 11, 2009 – Fourteen years ago, Oliver Stone shocked the world with Natural Born Killers, a disturbing hallucinogenic ride through the minds and exploits of two cold-blooded lovers who killed for sport, love and attention.

Prior to the theatrical release, Stone reworked the film, made more than 150 cuts, and removed approximately four minutes in order to get an R rating. Still, when the film opened in August, 1994, The New Yorker’s Stephen Schiff called it “the most radical film any studio has released since A Clockwork Orange.”

Now, this August 25th, Warner Home Video will release the original unrated film in a dazzling Blu-ray version ($28.99 SRP) that includes a new high-def introduction from Stone, a 44-page booklet on the film’s production and a wealth of bonus content from previous releases. A 2-Disc DVD ($20.97 SRP) will also be available.

Most importantly, Natural Born Killers Director’s Cut features NBK Evolution: How Would It All Go Down Now?, a new featurette from 6-time Emmy Award®-nominated producer Woody Thompson, illustrating how current communication technology would impact the film if it were made today.

Stone’s film takes a satirical swing at the American media world of 1994 which was becoming dominated by tabloid journalism. Mickey and Mallory are born out of a media frenzy and eventually kill for the media.

That led Thompson to wonder what if Stone were to shoot Natural Born Killers in 2009? How would he portray today's instantaneous user-generated media society and its reaction to the exploits of Mickey and Mallory? How would the social networks and the blogs cover, discuss and rate each of their killing sprees? How many views and comments would their home-made videos generate on Youtube?

Thompson’s multimedia production company Eyeboogie, Inc. presents the answer in NBK Evolution: How Would It All Go Down Now?, which examines the issues and changes in the context of current media and even follows a timeline of the killers’ activities in cell phone videos, blogs, tweets and Facebook updates to demonstrate the timeline and fully immerse the viewers in the "what if?"

More about the Film and Oliver Stone
Woody Harrelson and Juliette Lewis star as husband and wife serial killers in this powerful, gut-grabbing look at how violence and crime are sensationalized and glamorized in the media. As Mickey and Mallory cut their swath of terror across America, they are regarded more like celebrities than fugitives. Robert Downey Jr. and Tommy Lee Jones also star.

Stone is one of America’ most prolific cinematic innovators and the recipient of three Academy Awards® -- in 1978 (Writing, Midnight Express); 1986 (Directing, Platoon); and 1989 (Directing, Born on the Fourth of July). Other memorable Stone films include Wall Street, JFK, The Doors, Nixon, Any Given Sunday, Alexander, World Trade Center and W.

Natural Born Killers Director’s Cut Special Features
Disc 1
Introduction by Oliver Stone (New Intro HD)
Commentary by director Oliver Stone (from original SD release)

Disc 2
NBK Evolution: How Would It All Go Down Now? – New documentary providing a look at how the film might be different if today’s technology advancements were available (in HD)
Chaos Rising The Storm Around Natural Born Killers - Shocking ‘making-of’ documentary about the storm of controversy surrounding the film( from original SD release)
Deleted scenes with optional commentary by Oliver Stone (from original SD release)
- The Desert
- Steven Wright
- The Courtroom
- The Hun Brothers
- The Drive-In
- Denis Leary
· Alternate Ending with introduction by Oliver Stone (from original SD release)
· Charlie Rose Interview – Charlie Rose interviews Oliver Stone on the making of this
violent film (from the HD DVD release in SD)
· NBK Director’s Cut Trailer

NATURAL BORN KILLERS DIRECTOR’S CUT
Street Date: August 25
Blu-ray Pricing: $28.99 SRP
DVD Pricing: $20.97 SRP
Feature Running Time: 122 minutes -- NR (not rated)

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 13 OFFLINE   Jim_E

Jim_E

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted May 11 2009 - 01:31 AM

That's a pleasant surprise - I held off on the earlier release as it wasn't the DC, didn't think that it would be released so soon though and with new features. It's the first time Warner has released the DC isn't it?

#3 of 13 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,316 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted May 11 2009 - 01:44 AM

I'm glad I didn't get around to buying the theatrical cut that came out 5 minutes ago.

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   gomezfan69

gomezfan69

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts

Posted May 11 2009 - 02:38 AM

The current BD was just released this past July. Why couldn't they have released this version in the first place?Posted Image

#5 of 13 OFFLINE   David Wilkins

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor

• 825 posts

Posted May 11 2009 - 02:41 AM

Same here. I held off buying the current release, primarily because it's one of several titles that Amazon has never discounted to any great degree, even during sporadic sales.

This is another surprise second visit for BD to an existing title (DC or not), which is surprising in light of the vast number of titles yet to be approached. This is one I find especially welcome, and easily an instant purchase.

#6 of 13 OFFLINE   Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted May 11 2009 - 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_E
That's a pleasant surprise - I held off on the earlier release as it wasn't the DC, didn't think that it would be released so soon though and with new features. It's the first time Warner has released the DC isn't it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomezfan69
The current BD was just released this past July. Why couldn't they have released this version in the first place?Posted Image
They didn't own the rights to the DC originally, Lionsgate did. It looks like sometime between last June (original BD) and now they finally got the rights.
"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
--Michael Scott, The Office

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

#7 of 13 ONLINE   Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,320 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted May 11 2009 - 02:48 AM

I am surprised WB's is even releasing this one on Blu since it was a huge deal for the standard DVD release since someone else released the dir cut then. Glad I never bought the old copy.

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007 MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 Region Free Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#8 of 13 OFFLINE   Vincent-P

Vincent-P

Second Unit

• 334 posts

Posted May 11 2009 - 03:11 AM

Thank you, Warner! I was actually going to ask about this possibility during the recent HTF/Warner chat, but never got a chance to ask a question. I have been hoping for years for at least a 16x9 enhanced version of the Director's Cut & now we get a Blu-Ray version to boot! I will actually be buying both this & the Theatrical Cut Blu-Ray since I like to have all versions of a film. I had held off buying the theatrical cut up to this point in case any new release of the Director's Cut had both versions.

#9 of 13 OFFLINE   brandonchenry

brandonchenry

Stunt Coordinator

• 129 posts

Posted May 11 2009 - 04:43 AM

Sweet! First time I have written a blu ray release date in my calender.
Can't wait!!!

#10 of 13 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,561 posts

Posted July 29 2009 - 05:45 AM

The release has been pushed back to October 13th.  Here is the updated Press Release...

«««« Seeing this movie once is not enough. The first time is for the visceral experience, the second time is for the meaning." -- Chicago Sun-Times, Roger Ebert

“The best movie of the ‘90s. Powerfully audacious filmmaking.” -- Entertainment Weekly, Owen Gleiberman

NATURAL BORN KILLERS

15th ANNIVERSARY DIRECTOR’S CUT

One of the Most Controversial Movies Ever, 
Now Available in its Original Unrated Version 
on Blu-ray from Warner Home Video October 13

Includes New Introduction from Stone, New featurette,
 NBK Evolution: How Would It All Go Down Now?, and More

Burbank, Calif.,– Fourteen years ago, Oliver Stone shocked the world with Natural Born Killers, a disturbing hallucinogenic ride through the minds and exploits of two cold-blooded lovers who killed for sport, love and attention.

Prior to the theatrical release, Stone reworked the film, made more than 150 cuts, and removed approximately four minutes in order to get an R rating. Still, when the film opened in August, 1994, The New Yorker’s Stephen Schiff called it “the most radical film any studio has released since A Clockwork Orange.”

Now, this October 13, Warner Home Video will release the original unrated film in a dazzling Blu-ray version ($28.99 SRP) that includes a new high-def introduction from Stone, a 44-page booklet on the film’s production and a wealth of bonus content from previous releases. A 2-Disc DVD ($20.97 SRP) will also be available.

Most importantly, Natural Born Killers 15th Anniversary Director’s Cut features NBK Evolution: How Would It All Go Down Now?, a new featurette from 6-time Emmy Award®-nominated producer Woody Thompson, illustrating how current communication technology would impact the film if it were made today.

Stone’s film takes a satirical swing at the American media world of 1994 which was becoming dominated by tabloid journalism. Mickey and Mallory are born out of a media frenzy and eventually kill for the media.

That led Thompson to wonder what if Stone were to shoot Natural Born Killers in 2009? How would he portray today's instantaneous user-generated media society and its reaction to the exploits of Mickey and Mallory? How would the social networks and the blogs cover, discuss and rate each of their killing sprees? How many views and comments would their home-made videos generate on Youtube?

Thompson’s multimedia production company Eyeboogie, Inc. presents the answer in NBK Evolution: How Would It All Go Down Now?, which examines the issues and changes in the context of current media and even follows a timeline of the killers’ activities in cell phone videos, blogs, tweets and Facebook updates to demonstrate the timeline and fully immerse the viewers in the "what if?"

More about the Film and Oliver Stone

Woody Harrelson and Juliette Lewis star as husband and wife serial killers in this powerful, gut-grabbing look at how violence and crime are sensationalized and glamorized in the media. As Mickey and Mallory cut their swath of terror across America, they are regarded more like celebrities than fugitives. Robert Downey Jr. and Tommy Lee Jones also star.

Stone is one of America’ most prolific cinematic innovators and the recipient of three Academy Awards® -- in 1978 (Writing, Midnight Express); 1986 (Directing, Platoon); and 1989 (Directing, Born on the Fourth of July). Other memorable Stone films include Wall StreetJFK, The DoorsNixonAny Given Sunday, AlexanderWorld Trade Center and W.

Natural Born Killers Director’s Cut Special Features

Disc 1

• Introduction by Oliver Stone (New Intro HD)
  • Commentary by director Oliver Stone (from original SD release)

Disc 2

• NBK Evolution: How Would It All Go Down Now? – New documentary providing a look at how the film might be different if today’s technology advancements were available (in HD)
  • Chaos Rising The Storm Around Natural Born Killers - Shocking ‘making-of’ documentary about the storm of controversy surrounding the film( from original SD release)
  • Deleted scenes with optional commentary by Oliver Stone (from original SD release)

- The Desert

- Steven Wright

- The Courtroom

- The Hun Brothers

- The Drive-In

- Denis Leary

·         Alternate Ending with introduction by Oliver Stone (from original SD release)

·         Charlie Rose Interview – Charlie Rose interviews Oliver Stone on the making of this

violent film (from the HD DVD release in SD)

·         NBK Director’s Cut Trailer

NATURAL BORN KILLERS 15th ANNIVERSARY DIRECTOR’S CUT

Street Date: October 13, 2009

Blu-ray Hi-Def Pricing: $28.99 SRP

DVD Pricing: $20.97 SRP

Feature Running Time: 122 minutes -- NR (not rated)

Ronald J Epstein

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#11 of 13 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,561 posts

Posted July 31 2009 - 06:10 AM

Posted Image 

Ronald J Epstein

#12 of 13 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Executive Producer

• 10,036 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted August 05 2009 - 05:08 AM

I look forward to this.  I never upgraded the DC from VHS since I heard the DVD was pretty soft compared to WARNERS SD version.  Can't wait to get this, hopefully it looks fantastic.  Can't wait to see how all the film stocks translate on BLU.

#13 of 13 OFFLINE   Josh Pounds

Josh Pounds

Stunt Coordinator

• 89 posts

Posted August 08 2009 - 01:18 PM

I'm really looking forward to the "How Would It All Go Down Now" special feature (apart of course from finally having my preferred version of one of my favorite movies on blu-ray).

I love special features like this, I love when films that are culturally significant have features like this devoted to talking about their cultural significance -- part of the reason I love Criterion so much.

Kudos to Warner for giving money to people who were willing to make a feature like this!  This is what will make *me* stay a loyal customer.

Forum Nav Content I Follow