Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Any good docs/disc supplements about German Expressionism?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   JiM T

JiM T

Stunt Coordinator

• 213 posts

Posted May 10 2009 - 10:50 AM

I'm teaching a film history class, and have had good luck using documentaries and DVD extras about various film genres and film movements. But I've got the topic of German Expressionism (Lang, Murnau, etc.) coming up, and I don't know of any video material I could use. I'm looking for recommendations for any documentaries or DVD supplemental "making of" material about the history of German Expressionism, and the various important filmmakers who made it what it was. Thanks.

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor

• 872 posts

Posted May 10 2009 - 05:04 PM

Cinema Europe: The Other Hollywood by Kevin Brownlow is an excellent place to begin. The episode you want is "The Unchained Camera."

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   JiM T

JiM T

Stunt Coordinator

• 213 posts

Posted May 13 2009 - 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike*HTF
Cinema Europe: The Other Hollywood by Kevin Brownlow is an excellent place to begin. The episode you want is "The Unchained Camera."

Thanks for the suggestion, but seeing that it's long OOP, and commanding $200 on Amazon Marketplace, I think I'd better look elsewhere. Doggonit.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor

• 872 posts

Posted May 14 2009 - 04:49 AM

Of course you can always request a library loan and it has played on TCM in years past.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Arletty

Arletty

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted May 14 2009 - 07:43 AM

pm me re: this doco or e-mail to samiam.43@hotmail.com
Cherchez la Femme!

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   JiM T

JiM T

Stunt Coordinator

• 213 posts

Posted May 17 2009 - 08:30 PM

Thanks for the offers and suggestions, but my class session on German Expressionism has come and gone. I did manage to find a few usable DVD supplements on the careers on F.W. Murnau (a 30 minute doc on the Kino "Tartuffe" DVD) and Fritz Lang (30 minute doc on Kino's "Dr. Mabuse The Gambler"). I managed to edit the Murnau one down to a managable ten minutes (I edit video for a living, and the class is only one hour to cover the whole topic of German Expressionism), but didn't have time to edit the "Mabuse" doc down. A shame, since it's the better of the two as far as being an Expressionism retrospective of sorts. While being generally very Mabuse-centric, it puts Lang's career in the context of all of German Expressionism, including Murnau and "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari". Great stuff, just for future reference.

Odds are I'll be looking for documentaries on other topics as well in the future...