-

Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

HTF BluRay Review: Children of Men (Recommended)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 16,654 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted May 10 2009 - 06:31 AM

Posted Image

Children of Men

Blu Ray Title: Children of Men
Disk Release Date: May 26, 2009
Rated: R
Screen format: 1080P High Definition 1.85:1
Studio: Universal
First theatrical release: 5 January 2007
Previous releases on disk: DVD and HDDVDs on 27 March 2007
Director: Alfonso Cuarón
Starring: Clive Owen, Julianne Moore, Michael Caine, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Charlie Hunnam, Claire-Hope Ashitey
Sound Formats: English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, LA Spanish, French, German,
Italian, Castilian Spanish all in DTS 5.1

Length: 1 Hour and 50 Minutes
Subtitles: French, Italian, German, Castilian Spanish, LA Spanish, Korean, Dutch, Portuguese, Traditional Mandarin, Greek

Note that this review borrows heavily from my review of the prior HDDVD release.

Plot: 4/5
In “Children of Men”, director Cuarón has adapted P.D. James book of the same name to craft a near futuristic ‘Anti-Blade Runner’ that stirs up a hornets nest of modern issues (including global warming, immigration, government control, aggressive capitalism and the rights and mindsets of individuals versus what is good for all mankind) into a disturbing and fascinating mirror of who we are today and where we are headed.

Everyman Theo (Owens) is a beleaguered office worker who is sleeping through the demise of man as the world he lives in can no longer produce children. Without children there is no hope, romance, or even art to inspire people to keep going, and devastating chaos has broken out the world over and only England remains as the last bastion of order. England is beset on all sides by refugees trying to get in, and under attack from within by factions who have their own ideologies and demands on how the government should handle the current state of affairs.

Theo himself is nearly wiped out in one such attack and is captured by a member of a radical faction, the Fishers. Theo’s ex, Julian (Moore) turns out to be one of his captors, and requests that Theo help her group out by getting one of his contacts to aid them with paperwork which will give safe passage to one of their members. Theo soon learns that the papers are needed for the most extraordinary of reasons: a refugee, Kee (Ashitey), is pregnant, the first person to be fertile in 18 years. Kee is sure that her baby will be stolen by the government, they wouldn’t risk the embarrassment that a non citizen is the first and only to be so lucky. Thus begins both a race against the clock to get Kee to the only group believed to be able to help get her baby to safety and a simultaneous journey of emotional and spiritual reawakening for Theo.

Children of Men is a curious mix of science fiction, dystopia, politics and war bundled together as a movie. It pulls at so many issues simultaneously that viewers might feel beaten up during the viewing. While I wasn’t drawn in too heavily by the story, the gripping drama and the sheer emotional bleakness combined with the overarching malaise and terrors of war really did get my stomach in knots and it took a while to calmly assess just what I liked and did not like about the movie outside of the obvious audiovisual merits, which are discussed in detail below.

As a work of Science Fiction, the movie combines a lot of what I liked about the original Star Wars movies: it looks lived in, dirty, and whole. There was an awful lot of thought that went into designing a world that no longer had children to care for. Gear is slightly advanced but not unrealistically so. Cars in particular echo current designs but are just slightly unrecognizable as today’s models. In many ways the future here seems to echo that from the video game Half Life 2, and it was interesting seeing how the themes of both resonated with each other. In the extras, members of the crew repeatedly say they were going for believability as opposed to simple gimmickry or interesting gadgets, in other words the “Anti-Blade Runner”. And I believe that they nailed this goal perfectly.

As for the political agenda of the movie, I really don’t have a lot to say. Certainly there are things we as humans are doing to screw up our futures on a grand scale, but this film seems to separate the things we are doing wrong from the overarching problem that cannot be explained by the folly of man. The message seems to be that even if we weren’t such colossal boneheads we would still be faced with this infertility and even our smartest people aren’t the ones who solve it, that simple promiscuity is the one solution that worked. That doesn’t seem like a good theme given the realities of STDs in our modern world.

What did impress me mightily is how the journalistic war photography style that worked so brilliantly in Saving Private Ryan was adapted for use here. Additionally, many of the scenes here are done as very long (4-7+ minutes) single takes, without breaking camera angles. That the actors and crew were able to hold viewer’s attention so long and also go without breaking the busy, convincing and realistic action is remarkable. This style bothered me a lot in the Jason Bourne films but here it is used to great results and felt entirely convincing, partly BECAUSE of the long takes that make it seem impossible to have been so well choreographed through the tumult and chaos that is filmed.

Overall, Children of Men is probably a film that is going to require multiple viewings for most viewers to digest its complex messages and to enjoy its full impact. The story itself is relatively simple but there are interesting sub contexts and details that veer off and demand further reflection. Whether it will go on to be considered a classic film is debatable but it does have a lot to recommend and is certainly one of the deepest and most thought provoking films I have seen in a long time. In the final tally I found it an engaging film that just didn’t break into the territory of brilliance, but it came close.

Sound Quality: 4/5
Children of Men features a relatively sparse surround track through most of the film, fading out and letting the blight and disarray of the visuals do the talking. The musical score alternates between a mix of classic rock, original instrumentals, and the bizarre futuristic punk favored by Theo’s friend Jasper (Caine). The harsh divergence of these musical genres complements well the journey Theo takes from complacent disinterest to earnest awakening and rush for survival, both his personal and for our species. The inclusion of alternate arrangements of songs that viewers will be familiar with including both a Beatles and a Rolling Stones track are particularly inspired, as is the haunting ‘Court of the Crimson King’, which will also echo some of Stephen King’s works for those familiar with The Stand and the Gunslinger chronicles. All are interwoven subtly into the story and hold up nicely as examples of somber, near futuristic favorites.

However, when the action sequences kick into overdrive in the final stretch (and during the explosive initial sequence), there is nothing left wanting. Explosions are deep and gut punching, bullets whiz through and past all corners of the room and outside of the obvious confines of the speakers they emanate from, and voices likewise are positionally placed with great accuracy and vibrancy. While Children isn’t necessarily going to be the ‘go to’ film for reference testing, the effects match the visual horror with terrific fidelity and sheer impact. This version makes the leap to full uncompressed DTS-HD Master audio so there can be no complaining that it doesn’t fully capture the theatrical experience, and if you haven’t noticed above the long list of alternate audio tracks sets a high water mark in a Universal release.

Visual Quality: 4.5/5
As noted above, CoM goes for a very stark, journalistic style that is often heavy on grain during darker sequences and clips both blacks and whites for emotional impact, especially in outdoor scenes. This is intentional and almost certainly reflects what was intended for the film. The color palette is likewise muted, with certain segments in deep amber glows during Theo’s capture and blue green during the wartime segments and the escape to the sea. Grain is wholly film based and never from digital artifacting and there were no occurrences of ringing or over-sharpening.

As far as the sharpness of the film goes, shallow depth of field is used extensively to direct the viewer’s attention to specific areas of screen while the action explodes all around. Overall sharpness is above average but (given the look of the film) is not going to impart as much impact as if there was really deep color palette. What really sets CoM apart is simply the level of detailed trash and decay throughout. Every bit of graffiti, garbage and torn apart civilization is viewable in dizzying detail. Even Jasper’s retreat is detailed down to extraordinary levels, again seemingly just barely futuristic and all looking like it has real a real use and having really BEEN used.

Overall CoM could not be considered a beautiful looking movie but the transfer nails exactly the cold and barren look of the film in complete detail, and conveys the full weight of the story as well as any other HD transfer possibly could. While I did not compare this directly with the HDDVD version it looks even more remarkably detailed and crisp than I remember, without anything artificial added in the bargain. This is one of the rare times where I will seek out those who specialize in comparing static screen shots to see if what I saw in motion is true in individual frames as well.

Extra Features: 4/5
The extras appear to be a carbon clone of what was found on the HDDVD. While I did not like their use on that version, I have warmed a bit to it here because of the availability to pick and choose individual scenes to pull up and re-watch only those sequences that interested me, those who want to see all of them at once are going to have a hard time of it however. Three separate U-Control tracks are available, one is the normal ‘behind the scenes’ picture in picture track which I can recommend for the Coffee House Explosion and the Siege chapters at a minimum. Next up is a set of static information sheets that come up to discuss some of the new technologies and other interesting tidbits sprinkled into the film to give it a near futuristic look. Finally the third one is a look at all the advertisements that are on the view-screens throughout the film, these are kitschy but interesting.

As for “real” extra features, there are a few and they are a mixed bag. The best of these is a short look at the critical baby delivery scene, which mixes live action and CGI elements together to provide a truly touching result. Three deleted scenes are included, and they are examples of judicious cuts, as they were absolutely not relevant or helpful to the story. In truth, they were plain awful. The Possibility of Hope is a half hour long dissertation of the political messages behind the book and movie, and would have been tolerable if it were not for the extremely annoying accents and verbal ticks of those who contributed to it, in particular one Mr. Slavdi Zizek. Mr. Zizek is also given his own shorter featurette, which while interesting was physically painful to listen to at times. The all too brief Under Attack just barely breaks the surface of how the siege scenes were created. Theo and Julian is also too brief in interviewing Moore and Owen about their experiences on set and the interaction between the two of them. Finally the Futuristic Design goes into some detail about how the crew were able to avoid the temptation to over design the look and simply make things just a shade past what we have today.

Overall: 4/5 (not an average)
Children of Men attained quite a bit of buzz and was a leading candidate for many people’s favorite movies of the year but somehow didn’t score on any of its three Oscar nominations and didn’t make it to too many Best Picture nominations. I found it interesting and engaging but at least at this time I’m not convinced of the long lasting impact I will take away from this film. I have now seen it multiple times and find new angles on it each time, and while the concepts it focuses on resonate deeply it still seems to be a very linear story when you think of Theo’s journey against the epic scope he is but a small and unwitting player in. That said, it is still one of the few films where you can sincerely claim that one viewing is insufficient and that is rare indeed. Recommended.

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted May 10 2009 - 11:08 AM

Thanks for reviewing this. Love this movie. I sold my HD DVD a while ago because I knew I was purchasing this on Blu for the MA track. I thought the sound design was very well done.

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 16,654 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted May 10 2009 - 01:19 PM

I liked the sound a LOT. There were a few sections where off camera voices sounded a bit off tho, I think I might have a cable swapped in my setup. Hoping when we get closer to release date someone can tell me if its just me or if the film sounded like that. If I still had an HDDVD I could check it but I don't.

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,686 posts

Posted May 10 2009 - 02:19 PM

Thanks for the review Sam. I've been wanting to watch this movie for a long time and was angered when I found out that it was on the wrong side of the format war way back when. Very happy that I will finally get to see it on Blu. Posted Image
Recently watched- Simon & Simon: Season 3, Lost: Season 5, I Am Legend, Krull, The Beast Within, Subspecies, Lost: Season 4, District 9, Lost: Season 3, The Warrior's Way, The Twilight Zone: Season 1, Godzilla 3D, The Walking Dead: Season 4, Lost: Season 2, Dracula(1979), Lost: Season 1, True Grit(2010)

Currently watching- Planet Earth, Cheers: Season 6, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 2, Lost: Season 6, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati, Season 1

"I can help! I can save you! I can save everybody!"

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   David Coleman

David Coleman

Supporting Actor

• 760 posts

Posted May 10 2009 - 05:45 PM

Thanks for the review.

I remember seeing this one and Cinemax and I was blown away with the sound. I can only imagine what an upgrade the DTS-MA will be. I'll have to rent this one just for the sound as i'm predicting a reference track.

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted May 11 2009 - 08:16 AM

Caught the film on television once. I liked it, but I guess the impact of the film was heavily compromised by the many commercial breaks and the lesser image and sound quality of the film. I'll have to see it again, and when I can find it somewhere cheap I'll buy it.

Oh, and it's Stephen King, not Steven Posted Image. Just thought I'd mention it.
Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,760 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted May 12 2009 - 05:30 AM

I totally forgot this was coming really, really soon. It was one my favorites in the theater and I'll definitely grab it. Thanks Sam!

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted May 12 2009 - 06:25 AM

I own it on DVD, but I'm definitely thinking about upgrading. It's easily one of the best movies from the past decade to me.
"Here's looking at you, kid."

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   polosoutlet

polosoutlet

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted June 20 2012 - 09:16 PM

Cheap Ralph Lauren women Jackets has become a latest classique collection to perfectly show personal styles for men and women,free shipping! Cheap Ralph Lauren Polo demonstrates a very unique and beautiful design also can add a new feeling in the mind of every fashion people,they are high quality. Well-built, comfortable, breathable, More and more people are looking for a wide range of fashion Cheap Polo in this color season,many colors and sizes for wholesale. This polo In line with the modern requirements. The Red High Heels is easy to match your daily Polo Ralph Lauren Shirts. The Ralph Lauren Polo Shirts will become one of the most important accessories that are preferred by the people in their daily life in the present world.is one of polo's characteristics. Cheap Discount Ralph Lauren online Store will let you become the focus when you wear Ralph Lauren Polo to walk in the street. This style of Ralph Lauren Polo should match with Ralph Lauren pants to show a sexy sense to others.Discount Ralph Lauren CHILDREN.site:http://www.polosoutlet.com/women-jackets-c-1_58.html Posted Image Posted Image