Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

DIY - DVD rack

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Jeff D

Jeff D

Supporting Actor

• 610 posts

Posted May 09 2009 - 06:39 AM

I've got a (I believe) Billy Bags dvd rack which isn't big enough for my DVD collection.

I want to either reconfigure this one or just build a new one.
The rack is something like a Pro-1000, but I can't be sure of the exact model.

Anyway, what I want to do is make the rack 2-3' wider by either building a new one or just changing the length of the rack tubing. My problem is I have no idea were to find such a tube. It's about 1/2-3/4" in diameter, hollow, but with ends which are female threaded for screws which attach to the sides.

There was an ancient thread here from maybe 2002 where people were discussing this type of tubing, but all the links are dead now. Any idea where someone could buy this type of tubing?

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,160 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted May 09 2009 - 12:33 PM

I've been looking for something similar. I don't even need threads, just cheap tubing. I have found some a Macmaster-Carr but it throws my budget out of whack quickly.

-Robert

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Jeff D

Jeff D

Supporting Actor

• 610 posts

Posted May 10 2009 - 08:00 AM

I have been looking at hot and cold rolled steel tubing and it looks like around $15/6' sections and maybe less with 30 pieces? I'll need to call and see if they can do the threaded ends.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   TeddM

TeddM

Agent

• 38 posts

Posted June 17 2009 - 12:51 PM

Why not cut the existing rails in half and epoxy these into the next size up metal tubing, cut to the length you want?

I built a custom media rack using tubing and thread steel rod. I simply sanded the tubing, primered, and then sprayed with gloss black paint. Simple areosol can paint. Worked great.

The tubing came from a local metal supply, cut to my specified length.