Jump to content



Photo
- - - - -

After Monster Squad, what?


  • You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 JamesSmith

JamesSmith

    Advanced Member

  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 22 2003

Posted May 08 2009 - 04:11 PM

Dear Guys:

Next month the seventies children's program "The Monster Squad" will be coming out next month. I have to say I'm curious to see it again--it hasn't been rerun all that much since than.

Let's see. After the Monster Squad, what seventies' childrens shows (live action) haven't made it out yet? There's "Run Joe Run," "Here Come the Doubledeckers," "Big John, Little John," "Muggsy,"what else is out there?

James

#2 of 6 JamesSmith

JamesSmith

    Advanced Member

  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 22 2003

Posted May 08 2009 - 04:19 PM

Forgot the "Kids from Caper." I think Romeo Mueller worked on that show. There was a different beautiful girl every week who feel in love with the hearthrob of the team. I think it was "Doc."

Such foolishness back than.

James

#3 of 6 FrankPitt

FrankPitt

    Advanced Member

  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 04 2006

Posted May 08 2009 - 05:04 PM

I'd definitely buy 'Big John, Little John' and 'Kids from C.A.P.E.R." (I still have the soundtrack album all these years later -- with nothing on which to play it). I'd also like to see 'Westwind,' about an adventuring family on a sailboat, although my memories of it are really hazy.

Then there are few Krofft shows I'd love to own, especially 'Dr. Shrinker' and 'Bigfoot & Wildboy.'

#4 of 6 TV_Fan

TV_Fan

    Advanced Member

  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 19 2008

Posted May 09 2009 - 12:43 AM

I'd also love to have some of the unreleased Krofft shows like Far Out Space Nuts & The Lost Saucer.

#5 of 6 paste

paste

    Advanced Member

  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 08 2007

Posted May 10 2009 - 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesSmith
Dear Guys:

Next month the seventies children's program "The Monster Squad" will be coming out next month. I have to say I'm curious to see it again--it hasn't been rerun all that much since than.

Let's see. After the Monster Squad, what seventies' childrens shows (live action) haven't made it out yet? There's "Run Joe Run," "Here Come the Doubledeckers," "Big John, Little John," "Muggsy,"what else is out there?

James

The people that produced the Monster Squad also produced Joe, Big John, Westwind, McDuff the Talking Dog, and the Red Hand Gang.

Supposedly, the Red Hand Gang will be released at some point this year in the US (it is already out on DVD in the UK on regiion free discs) from the same company that is releasing Monster Squad. I am guessing if these releases do well, we might see the other shows released as well

Would love to see the Hanna Barbera stuff: Banana Splits, Korg, and Skatebirds, released on DVD in the US.

Other stuff that could be released that hasn't been mentioned: episodes of the ABC Weekend Specials, Thunder (with Melora Hardin from The Office), Wacko (a comedy/variety show), Curiosity Shop (Chuck Jones created it and it has Pamelyn Ferdin in the cast), the Harlem Globetrotters Popcorn Machine, Hot Hero Sandwich (SNL for the Saturday morning crowd), and Drawing Power (animation/live action hybrid from some of the same people who did Schoolhouse Rocks).

#6 of 6 Mark Y

Mark Y

    Advanced Member

  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Join Date: Mar 20 2006

Posted May 10 2009 - 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paste
The people that produced the Monster Squad also produced Joe, Big John, Westwind, McDuff the Talking Dog, and the Red Hand Gang.

Supposedly, the Red Hand Gang will be released at some point this year in the US (it is already out on DVD in the UK on regiion free discs) from the same company that is releasing Monster Squad. I am guessing if these releases do well, we might see the other shows released as well

Would love to see the Hanna Barbera stuff: Banana Splits, Korg, and Skatebirds, released on DVD in the US.

Apparently Season 1 of The Banana Splits is coming out in September in the UK from Warner Home Video. Not a whole lot of info, but it's on 6 DVDs -- I certainly hope this means all 18 Season 1 shows in their original full-length format, but I won't kill myself if that doesn't happen. What bits and pieces are left of Season 2 would make great extras -- but then, I'm not thinking like a corporate executive...

Quote:
Other stuff that could be released that hasn't been mentioned: episodes of the ABC Weekend Specials, Thunder (with Melora Hardin from The Office), Wacko (a comedy/variety show), Curiosity Shop (Chuck Jones created it and it has Pamelyn Ferdin in the cast), the Harlem Globetrotters Popcorn Machine, Hot Hero Sandwich (SNL for the Saturday morning crowd), and Drawing Power (animation/live action hybrid from some of the same people who did Schoolhouse Rocks).

I watched "Curiosity Shop" when it was on and wouldn't mind seeing it again. Ditto for "Hot Hero Sandwich." I note both the Harlem Globetrotters show and "Wacko" were done by the same company that did "The Hudson Brothers Razzle Dazzle Show," which is out on DVD.

I think I saw some kind of release of "Drawing Power" a few years ago on the rack at CVS or Osco or someplace...which is the only reason I've even heard of it. I don't remember, though, whether it was VHS or DVD. I suspect it was VHS and it may have been longer ago than I think it was. I also would love to see "The Metric Marvels" (a similar type of series that NBC had in the late 1970s) again -- but that's a real "period piece." (What ever happened to the metric system in the US, anyway? When I was in fifth grade, there was a big push on teaching it to us, since it was going to be the way of the future.)

How about "The Great Space Coaster?" Syndicated show, later appeared in reruns on USA Network in the mid to late 1980s, then after that it seems to have vanished. I wonder if the tapes even still exist.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users


Forum Nav Content I Follow