Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

The New Hollywood Box Set from Sony

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
39 replies to this topic

#1 of 40 OFFLINE   WadeM

WadeM

Supporting Actor

• 906 posts

Posted May 08 2009 - 11:38 AM

FINALLY, a new version of Head!! Along with: Drive, He Said / Five Easy Pieces / The King of Marvin Gardens / Last Picture Show / A Safe Place / Easy Rider

http://www.movie-lis...Head_Easy_Rider

I've been putting off on 5 Easy Pieces, so it'll be the perfect time to get it. Never wanted Easy Rider. I'll be glad to add the others to my collection though.

#2 of 40 OFFLINE   walter o

walter o

Supporting Actor

• 848 posts

Posted May 08 2009 - 01:05 PM

Nice to see a pair of obscure Jack Nicholson films, DRIVE HE SAID (a Nicholson directed film) and A SAFE PLACE being released, as both never had a VHS release. Still weird they throw in LAST PICTURE SHOW, considering they just released this with NICKELODEON, at least Sony went to their archieves for some rarity this time.

#3 of 40 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,464 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted May 08 2009 - 07:26 PM

I've been waiting patiently for decent SEs of both Five Easy Pieces and The King of Marvin Gardens, but there's no indication of extras...and that appears to be some hefty SRP doesn't it?
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#4 of 40 OFFLINE   WadeM

WadeM

Supporting Actor

• 906 posts

Posted May 09 2009 - 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hodson
...there's no indication of extras...and that appears to be some hefty SRP doesn't it

That was my first impression, but then again, we're getting 7 movies...so not too bad. And I expect a bigger discount as time goes by. Since there's no specs listed at all yet, we'll see what the extras are (if any) later, when the specs are released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter o
Nice to see a pair of obscure Jack Nicholson films, DRIVE HE SAID (a Nicholson directed film) and A SAFE PLACE being released, as both never had a VHS release.

Never seen A Safe Place, but Jack Nicholson and Orson Welles ?!?! I'll have to see it just for that combo.

#5 of 40 ONLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,851 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted May 09 2009 - 01:16 AM

Any release date? I too was first taken back on The Last Picture Show being part of the collection since it was just released two weeks ago, but then realized that all the films from the indi production company of BBS so it makes sense. I am looking forward to seeing both A Safe Place and Drive He Said as I have heard and read about these films, but never seen them. Thank you Sony.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#6 of 40 OFFLINE   Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted May 09 2009 - 03:02 AM

this is one of those boxsets that should have come out years ago to coincide with the whole Easy Riders Raging Bulls experience.
come see the reviews at
http://thedvdlounge.com/

and the Seinfeld Tour Bus

#7 of 40 OFFLINE   Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,154 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted May 09 2009 - 03:25 AM

I think it's safe to say Sony is now the best studio out there. I watched DRIVE, HE SAID sometime last year and it wasn't too bad. I never thought it would get an official release and the same with A SAFE PLACE, which is a title I've been looking for but was never able to locate throughout any of the online sites that deal with rare movies. A major thumbs up for Sony.

#8 of 40 OFFLINE   walter o

walter o

Supporting Actor

• 848 posts

Posted May 09 2009 - 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WadeM

Never seen A Safe Place, but Jack Nicholson and Orson Welles ?!?! I'll have to see it just for that combo.

It is a very weird film, almost like a dream, no real structure, basically "is Tuesday Weld dreaming or is this reality" sorta thing. Orson Welles plays a magician/father figure type, and Tuesday is absolutely wonderful (and beautiful) in the film.Wwonder how it will look for the one time I saw it, the film has a very hazy photography, which I am guessing was intentional.

#9 of 40 OFFLINE   Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

• 1,155 posts

Posted May 09 2009 - 05:59 PM

I'm a little concerned about this release of HEAD. According to my source at Rhino, who are leasing the film back to Sony for this package, Rafelson is pulling a pre-HD William Friedkin trip and insisting on a 1.33 ratio for all his movies in the set, despite the fact that HEAD is clearly composed for 1.66, right down to the mattes visible in the old Rhino full-frame transfer. I hope this is just misinformation or that someone has talked him down.

It sounds pretty plausible. As I recall, his recent DTV outing ONE GOOD DEED with Samuel L. Jackson and Milla Jovovich was also presented on DVD in 1.33 despite getting limited theatrical play in 1.85.
"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

#10 of 40 OFFLINE   Albert_M

Albert_M

Supporting Actor

• 532 posts

Posted May 10 2009 - 06:09 AM

Quote:
I think it's safe to say Sony is now the best studio out there.

It's funny, as that's not a statement you'll read in the TV DVD section right below here.

#11 of 40 OFFLINE   Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor

• 872 posts

Posted May 10 2009 - 05:07 PM

In light of the upcoming Toho, Noir, and Fuller sets, I would agree with you.

#12 of 40 OFFLINE   Jay E

Jay E

Screenwriter

• 2,485 posts

Posted May 10 2009 - 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Elliott

With Warner taking a swift nosedive over the past year, there is no doubt about it. Sony annoucements get me excited the way I use to get from Warner annoucements.

This is a great idea for a boxset, and I am looking forward to finally geting a chance to seen Drive, He Said.

#13 of 40 OFFLINE   WadeM

WadeM

Supporting Actor

• 906 posts

Posted May 11 2009 - 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Edward Heuck
Rafelson is pulling a pre-HD William Friedkin trip and insisting on a 1.33 ratio for all his movies in the set

We'll have to see. I hope he's wrong. Although I could at least understand (not agree with) that position in the olden days of 4:3 TVs, I just don't see why a director would choose that in today's world of widescreen TVs. I tried finding more information on this set, and someone at Criterion Forum who apparently works for Sony stated " a lot of care has been put into the set -- including major new restorations! -- and it's nothing to scoff at." Right now I'm holding off judgement until the specs are released.

• View topic - Criterion and Sony

#14 of 40 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted May 12 2009 - 01:28 PM

Even though I already own three of the films, I'll buy it for Head alone!!!

Can't wait for more details and art work!

#15 of 40 OFFLINE   Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted May 13 2009 - 01:44 AM

Double (or more) dipping for THE LAST PICTURE SHOW is odd. I would hope that if they are intent on capturing the zeitgeist of the period, the would bring out a Warren Beatty collection: SHAMPOO: SE, , MICKEY ONE, ISHTAR, and THE FORTUNE.
Charles Hoyt

#16 of 40 OFFLINE   Bradley-E

Bradley-E

Screenwriter

• 1,019 posts

Posted July 21 2009 - 11:59 AM

Nice set!  Good to see Sony still digging into their catalog while other studios seem to be slowing down.  Like others, I really do not need Last Picture Show again.  Just bought it again with Nickelodeon.  They will probably also release it on Blu ray before too long.

#17 of 40 ONLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,851 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted July 21 2009 - 01:25 PM

Is there a date for this yet?  I have not seen this talked about anywhere else.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#18 of 40 OFFLINE   mdnitoil

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor

• 779 posts

Posted July 21 2009 - 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_M ">

It's funny, as that's not a statement you'll read in the TV DVD section right below here.

I remember reading well over a year ago that Sony was getting ready to gear up their catalog releases.  TV was to follow a year after that.  They certainly have ramped up on their catalog stuff, so perhaps TV is on the way.

#19 of 40 OFFLINE   ChristianLiemke

ChristianLiemke

Stunt Coordinator

• 156 posts

Posted July 22 2009 - 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahollis 

Is there a date for this yet?  I have not seen this talked about anywhere else.
Movies Unlimited: 10/13/09

#20 of 40 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,907 posts

Posted July 22 2009 - 01:21 AM

Will Head finally be released in widescreen?  The King of Marvin Gardens is quite a gem that is worth discovering, it's one of those films that somehow escaped a wide release anmd major acclaim, but has great performances you won't forget.  But then, any film with Nicholson, Dern, and Burstyn in it is worth watching, especially when all three share the story!
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow