-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Help With Mac Networking...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 pitchman

pitchman

Screenwriter

• 1,833 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted May 08 2009 - 04:19 AM

I have an an Airport Extreme connected to an iMac via ethernet and several other devices that connect to the Extreme wirelessly (3 MacBooks, 1 Vista PC, Nintendo Wii, Sony PS3.) I have a Samsung LN46A850 TV that is about to be replaced by a Samsung LN46B750 and I am trying to figure out if it is possible to use an old Linksys WRT54GS wireless-G router as a wireless bridge for the TV (and hopefully the PS3.) In theory, if I can get the router to recognize the Airport Extreme, then I should be able to connect to the TV etc. via ethernet. The problem is, I don't know how to set up the Linksys on the Mac so it can recognize the Airport Extreme. I called Apple Care and they were some help but could not really address the Linksys configuration. When I called Linksys, they said I was out of warranty (which I am sure I am) and for them to help me further was going to be like $20 a minute for support, so I bailed. At this point, I am just trying to determine if my theory is correct, or if I am spinning my wheels. Should I invest in a dedicated wireless bridge or is this router capable of doing what I'd like it to do? Bear in mind that I am not all that technically versed, but I can generally figure out how to get from point A to point B. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!
Gary

#2 of 8 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 15,880 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted May 08 2009 - 07:05 AM

Should be able to do it. Put the uplink of the Linksys line connected to one of the Airports 3 lines, tell it to get its IP from the AP which gets its own set from the cable/dsl and you should be able to make it work.

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#3 of 8 pitchman

pitchman

Screenwriter

• 1,833 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted May 08 2009 - 08:18 AM

Thanks, Sam, but I think I'm still missing something. I am going from the AP line 2 out to the ethernet line in on the Linksys. If I turn Airport 'ON' on the iMac, I can see the Linksys router as an available network to connect to, but how do I get the Linksys to see the Airport Extreme?
Gary

#4 of 8 Michael_K_Sr

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter

• 1,337 posts
  • LocationChicago 'burbs

Posted May 08 2009 - 02:44 PM

I think I understand what you are trying to do...I tried something similar with my Slingbox and never did get it to work properly. Supposedly this is easily solved by having all devices on 802.11n, but I had no desire to upgrade my network right now.

Kind of off topic...why are you dumping the 46A850? I love mine.

#5 of 8 Eric M Jones

Eric M Jones

Second Unit

• 398 posts

Posted May 15 2009 - 03:38 AM

Gary-
I'm just trying to understand your goal here. Are you hoping to use the Linksys as an extender to the AE? Or are you wishing to set up dual networks so you can run the AE as an "N" and the Linksys as a "G"? Or do you have something else in mind?

-EJ
 Visit my blog coregeek.net

#6 of 8 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 15,880 posts

Posted May 15 2009 - 04:13 AM

Just tell it to get its own DNS via NAT and you should be good to go. It should treat the upstream router the same way it would a cable modem.

You also need to turn off DHCP on the second router in the chain. This essentially turns it into a switch. Google 'Daisy Chaining Routers'.

#7 of 8 pitchman

pitchman

Screenwriter

• 1,833 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted May 16 2009 - 04:03 AM

Thanks for the help guys!

I ended up going in a different direction, and so far, it is working well. I called the local phone company and had them "unfilter" an existing DSL jack in the family room. Then, I disconnected the modem and Airport Extreme from my iMac and moved them to the new outlet. I plugged my new LN46B750 and the PS3 into the router and they both work great! The iMac and the Macbooks are all connected wirelessly and they do not appear to have suffered any significant performance hit - they still chug along at 10 meg plus speed.

I am still trying to figure out how to get a Vista box into the equation, though. The only purpose this computer serves is that I use Windows Media Center to time-shift OTA TV programs. I would like to be able to use the computer's 750 gig hard drive as a media server for the TV and/or the PS3. Unfortunately, I have not been able to figure out how to do it...

Finally, I have also been trying to figure out if there is any real benefit to buying and using one of those Nintendo Wii LAN Adapters from the Nintendo web site, or, if I should just stick with the built-in WI-FI.
Gary

#8 of 8 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 15,880 posts

Posted May 16 2009 - 05:47 AM

Stick with Wifi