What's new

Kef Speakers: IQ5, IQ7 (1 Viewer)

yeahman68

Auditioning
Real Name
sam evans
I was wondering which one to get, I hear that the iq7 goes lower, but has a worse midrange than the iq5. I'm thinking you should be fine with an iq5 as long as you have sub? Give me your thoughts?

punman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dwayne
Lower? 40 Hz vs 43 Hz. Not a big deal as far as I can see. The bigger difference is the size of two of the three speakers 6.5 inches vs 5.25.
I listened to the iQ7s in the shop and liked the sound. They were not on sale though and I found the iQ5s mail order on sale for less than half the price of the iQ7s.
I have been very happy with them (iQ5) along with iQ2 center, iQ1 surrounds a PSW2500 SubWoofer. My room is 17 feet by 10 feet. If your room is twice that size go iQ7s or if you can get iQ7s for say only 20% more than the iQ5s go iQ7s.
But again I don't regret the iQ5s at all. Even with the iQ7s you might want to go with a Subwoofer.

yeahman68

Auditioning
Real Name
sam evans
What were some things you noticed between the IQ7 and the IQ5 when listening?

punman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dwayne
I only heard the iQ7s in the store. Never heard the iQ5s until they arrived in the mail.

yeahman68

Auditioning
Real Name
sam evans
oh sorry, what i meant to say is, do you remember what the iq7 sounded like compared to your present iq5's?

punman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dwayne
I don't recall a huge difference. I found a couple of posts on other forums that I reproduce below, based on the same question you ask.

1-There is really not a huge difference between them. Their tweeters and the frequency they are crossed in are absolutely identical. The iQ7 weighs about 9.5lbs more. If I were to GUESS and make a BROAD generalization about any VAGUE differences in their comparative sound, I would think the iQ5 MAY have a bit clearer midrange while the iQ7 PROBABLY have a bit more low-end punch. Many people consider KEFs to be a bit bass-shy. True, the KEF's bass is not at all boomy, but the iQ7s will definitely be more authoritative on the low end than the iQ5s. If price is no object, I would probably say to go with the iQ7s. If you are on a budget, I would probably say to get the iQ5s. If you get the iQ5s you'll have more left to spend on surrounds and a subwoofer.

2-If you are going to have a sub I would just stick with the iQ5s. For full-range usage, I do not know which would be better. You'd have to give a listen to both. The iQ7s, with the bigger drivers, will obviously go lower (although it is only 3Hz, according to the specs) and have more overall output. On the other hand, many people feel that the smaller driver (the UniQ since we are talking about it being crossed in at 280Hz and 250Hz respectively) can reproduce the midbass to midrange frequencies more accurately.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks