-

Photo

WHV Press Release: Warner Archive Collection adds 22 more classic titles (5/7/09)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#1 of 32 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,941 posts

Posted May 07 2009 - 07:27 AM

WARNER ARCHIVE COLLECTION ADDS 22 CLASSIC MOVIE TITLES TO ITS RAPIDLY GROWING ONLINE SERVICE INCLUDING “FREEBIE AND THE BEAN” “JOHNNY EAGER” AND “SOLDIER IN THE RAIN”

“Tarzan” Starring Lex Barker Offered for the First time Ever on Home Video; Bettie Davis, Jackie Gleason, Alan Arkin and Numerous Legendary Actors are Now Available

Burbank, Calif., May 7, 2009 – Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group (WBHEG), today announced that 22 additional classic movie titles have been added to its popular Warner Archive Collection (WBshop.com - The Official Online Store of Warner Bros. Studios: Warner Archive) online service including, “Freebie and the Bean” starring Academy Award®-Winner Alan Arkin and Academy Award®-Nominee James Caan, and “Soldier in the Rain” starring Jackie Gleason and Steve McQueen.

Also announced today, for the first time in any home video format, the Warner Archive Collection is offering five classic “Tarzan” adventures starring Lex Barker as the legendary “Lord of the Apes.” To celebrate, these films are being offered at a special price when all five are purchased together. In addition, films starring Hollywood legends Olivia de Havilland, Robert Taylor and John Garfield also debuted today including “Johnny Eager,” “Pride of the Maries,” and “Princess O’Rourke.” Like other Warner Archive Collection titles that are released in widescreen, “Soldier in the Rain” and “Freebie and the Bean” make their debut in 16x9 enhanced widescreen format. Currently the Warner Archive Collection offers 191 timeless movies and by year’s end will have more than 300 titles online.

Spanning more than 60 years of filmmaking, the Warner Archive Collection offers movie fans access to Warner Bros. Entertainment’s unparalleled film library consisting of pre-1986 MGM, RKO Radio Pictures and Warner Bros. Pictures films. These timeless classics can be downloaded or purchased on DVDs that are made to order for the customer using a state-of-the-art Manufacturing on Demand (MOD) process. For a complete list of titles visit WarnerArchive.com.

WBHEG recently launched an exciting podcast series titled “The Golden History of Hollywood.” Hosted by George Feltenstein of Warner Home Video and available on iTunes (Apple - iTunes - The world?s most popular digital media player.) and numerous online sites for free, this series takes movie fans back in time to the “Golden Era” of Hollywood. “The Golden History of Hollywood” features captivating archival recordings from Warner Bros.’ vault including behind-the-scenes interviews with stars, radio editions of movies from the “Lux Radio Theater” and MGM’s “Good News” radio programs and much more.

The following new titles will be added to the Warner Archive Collection this month:
Above And Beyond
All The Brothers Were Valiant
Billy The Kid
Bye, Bye Braverman
Castle On The Hudson
Fallen Sparrow, The
Four Daughters
Freebie And The Bean
Great Garrick, The
Hard To Get
Johnny Eager
Party Girl
Pride Of The Marines
Princess O’Rourke
Skin Game
Soldier In The Rain
Tarzan And The She-Devil
Tarzan And The Slave Girl
Tarzan's Magic Fountain
Tarzan's Magic Fountain
Tarzan's Peril
Tarzan's Savage Fury

To order their movies, fans visit WarnerArchive.com, select their titles, and upon purchase, a state-of-the-art manufacturing on demand (MOD) system creates a made-to-order DVD. The system places the DVD into a hard plastic Amaray case featuring custom artwork; shrink wraps it and ships the finished package to the customer which arrives in approximately five days. The cost per title is $19.95, plus shipping. Alternatively, consumers can purchase digital downloads of these classic films to enjoy immediately on their PC. The cost for a digital download is $14.95 per title. Warner Archive Collection is currently available only to consumers in the United States.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 32 OFFLINE   cajunhillbilly

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter

• 1,741 posts

Posted May 07 2009 - 07:30 AM

When are they going to announce any tv series?

#3 of 32 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,452 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted May 07 2009 - 07:37 AM

Pity they didn't mention what that 'special price' for the Tarzan titles is; I suspect it will still make me go: "Noooooo-eeeeooooeeeeooo-eoeoooooooo!'
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#4 of 32 OFFLINE   Steve Armbrust

Steve Armbrust

Second Unit

• 281 posts

Posted May 07 2009 - 07:40 AM

What's the special price for ordering all five Tarzan movies? The shopping cart doesn't show any special price when all are added.

Living in the Baseball Wasteland.

#5 of 32 OFFLINE   Frank M

Frank M

Stunt Coordinator

• 99 posts

Posted May 07 2009 - 09:22 AM

From the chat transcript March 23:
Quote:
warnerbros: 1). There will be a availability of product WORLDWIDE shortly through the Warner Archive Collection. SHORTLY. We just don't have a date yet...it could be only a few days away.... bear with us...

From the press release May 7:
Quote:
Warner Archive Collection is currently available only to consumers in the United States.

Why? How much longer do the consumers from all the other countries in the world have to wait? How long is SHORTLY? Is our money not good enough? Don't we deserve your films? American films for American People only? There are 6.7 billion people living on earth, but only 0.3 billion live in the US.

Please give us hope... It's very hard to bear these press releases when one is not allowed to buy the films.

#6 of 32 OFFLINE   Marcel H.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor

• 553 posts

Posted May 07 2009 - 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank M

Why? How much longer do the consumers from all the other countries in the world have to wait? How long is SHORTLY? Is our money not good enough? Don't we deserve your films? American films for American People only? There are 6.7 billion people living on earth, but only 0.3 billion live in the US.

Please give us hope... It's very hard to bear these press releases when one is not allowed to buy the films.

But, imho, it's useless to have international shipping available when you have to deal with UPS, the shipping costs and their brokerage fees. I'm not willing to pay such a huge amount of money.

Movies Unlimited can be an alternative, I mailed them and they said, that they plan to stock all Archive titles after 90days and they hope they have the first titles available in July.
Recently bought: Tracy & Hepburn the Definitive Coll., The Mountain, Rope of Sand, Taxi Driver (BD), Heroes of Telemark, Night of the Generals
Pre-Order: Knock on Any Door, The Outlaw Josey Wales (BD), The Man Who Would Be King (BD), Night Flight, The Hustler (BD)...
My Collection

#7 of 32 OFFLINE   mdnitoil

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor

• 777 posts

Posted May 07 2009 - 10:27 AM

They keep mentioning this podcast but I have yet to run into the darn thing. Has anybody else heard it?

#8 of 32 ONLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,203 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted May 07 2009 - 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank M

They did open it up to international customers a couple weeks back, and then everyone was pissed off that it was so pricey. So then they stopped. I suspect that means they have had to change their plans, and that the statement from the chat therefore no longer applies.

In summary: International shipping did arrive "shortly". And everybody hated it. So now you'll have to wait again.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#9 of 32 OFFLINE   Livius

Livius

Second Unit

• 407 posts

Posted May 07 2009 - 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway
They did open it up to international customers a couple weeks back, and then everyone was pissed off that it was so pricey. So then they stopped. I suspect that means they have had to change their plans, and that the statement from the chat therefore no longer applies.

In summary: International shipping did arrive "shortly". And everybody hated it. So now you'll have to wait again.

I don't know why international shipping was suspended, but I seriously doubt that's the reason.
Riding the High Country - My Movie Blog

#10 of 32 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted May 07 2009 - 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Armbrust
What's the special price for ordering all five Tarzan movies? The shopping cart doesn't show any special price when all are added.

That's the question some of us are wondering as well. I'm mainly interested in 2 of the Barker's but if the discount is low enough I might get the other Barker's.

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#11 of 32 OFFLINE   Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted May 07 2009 - 11:11 AM

With the release of SOLDIER IN THE RAIN and ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE from the Warner Archive, the Steve McQueen filmography is one film (THE HONEYMOON MACHINE) away from being complete. This is one of the great things about the Archive: SOLDIER and ENEMY were a bit too eclectic to have been released in WB's McQueen Collection, and I cannot imagine them being released in any other context.
Charles Hoyt

#12 of 32 OFFLINE   borisfw

borisfw

Supporting Actor

• 841 posts

Posted May 07 2009 - 11:17 AM

ok. I put all five tarzan films in my cart and went to check out . I was hoping it would give some type of discount so i could see what the sale price is . But no . Is this sale going to be a secret? or are we supposed to just order and hope for the best?

#13 of 32 OFFLINE   Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted May 07 2009 - 11:36 AM

There is now a Barker/TARZAN package listed for $49.95.
Charles Hoyt

#14 of 32 OFFLINE   borisfw

borisfw

Supporting Actor

• 841 posts

Posted May 07 2009 - 11:56 AM

I just checked the WB website and couldn't find a tarzan package. Am i missing something ?

#15 of 32 OFFLINE   Marcel H.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor

• 553 posts

Posted May 07 2009 - 11:59 AM

WBshop.com - The Official Online Store of Warner Bros. Studios: Warner Archive Lex Barker Tarzan DVD Set
Recently bought: Tracy & Hepburn the Definitive Coll., The Mountain, Rope of Sand, Taxi Driver (BD), Heroes of Telemark, Night of the Generals
Pre-Order: Knock on Any Door, The Outlaw Josey Wales (BD), The Man Who Would Be King (BD), Night Flight, The Hustler (BD)...
My Collection

#16 of 32 OFFLINE   borisfw

borisfw

Supporting Actor

• 841 posts

Posted May 07 2009 - 12:13 PM

Thanks for the link.

#17 of 32 OFFLINE   borisfw

borisfw

Supporting Actor

• 841 posts

Posted May 07 2009 - 12:23 PM

Ordered the Tarzan package for $37 and change with the discount code. Also added Pride of the Marines and castle on the Hudson also with the discount. Brings it to just over $ 60 so the free shipping kicks in. Not too bad. Gotta give WB credit for trying.

#18 of 32 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted May 07 2009 - 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisfw
Ordered the Tarzan package for $37 and change with the discount code. Also added Pride of the Marines and castle on the Hudson also with the discount. Brings it to just over $ 60 so the free shipping kicks in. Not too bad. Gotta give WB credit for trying.

Frank,

What discount code did you use to get the price to $37.00 ?

#19 of 32 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,645 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 07 2009 - 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Willis
Frank,

What discount code did you use to get the price to $37.00 ?
XB592, it's only good once and for a maximum of five Archive releases. Since this boxset is listed as one release, better use it before something changes.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#20 of 32 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted May 07 2009 - 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
XB592, it's only good once and for a maximum of five Archive releases. Since this boxset is listed as one release, better use it before something changes.

Thanks, Crawdaddy! I think this is where I jump into this Archive store Posted Image I'm going to the online checkout now to see what the grand total with shipping will turn out to be....

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow