What's new

Looky here: 'Crouching Tiger', possible caveat... (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Pretty odd that it would only be part of a 3-film set that includes 2 others that have already been released long ago. Most folks who'd want either of the other 2 would already own it by now, especially since they've both been seriously discounted (or available in various BOGOs or B2G1s) in the past. Maybe it's just an oversight that they haven't also announced a standalone release for it yet.

Anyway, can't wait to get CTHD on Blu though I wonder about the PQ since it was originally slated for 2006 release, no? Is it gonna be yet another old, substandard MPEG2 encode? Hope not.

_Man_

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
If it were to be released only in a box set, I would have to pass. Unless Sony were to package in a new version of House of Flying Daggers.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
While I love Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, I am not springing for a three-film box set in order to get it. This needs an individual release, and hopefully it will receive on soon.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Especially if you already own those other two titles on BRD.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Hehheh... Well, I basically regret blind buying Curse... even at the bargain bin price I paid, IIRC. I mean the image on that one is truly eye-popping, especially for the gaudy interiors, but otherwise, it's just glorified soap opera of the highest order. ;) :laugh: Flying Daggers is also just ok, IMHO, and probably not worth owning, if not for the bargain bin price I paid. :P

Even CTHD is not exactly w/out its flaws, but it's definitely by far the best of the three, and I'd love to have it (in excellent BD quality of course). :D

_Man_

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
The current 'House of Flying Daggers' release is pretty bad, so I have held off despite really liking that movie. Hopefully they are giving that one a much needed "Fifth Element (remastered)" treatment.

I already own "Curse of the Golden Flower", but give me well (re)mastered "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" and "House of Flying Daggers" stand alone release, and I will be sold!

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor

Same here, I don't own the two existing titles. Putting together a set like this, surely Sony would remaster HFD. After all, it was one of the early release ugly ducklings that have been harshly criticized from day one. If not, then it's certainly a no-go for me.

I think Sony will end up releasing CTHD as a stand-alone from the start, anyway.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Surely? Don't get your hopes up. This set seems designed to move some excess CotGF and HoFD and nothing more.

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor

It's wishful thinking, I suppose, as is the concurrent stand-alone release of CTHD. We should have an actual press release before too long.

It's hard to figure where Sony's mind is at, so far as this release. Seems to me, that if they haven't improved HFD, it cheapens the entire package. I can't imagine that there's a huge mass of humanity clamoring for CTHD, to the extent of buying all three.

Vincent-P

Second Unit
Not only does House Of Flying Daggers needs to be remastered, but it also needs to be released uncut. The US release had several cuts to obtain a PG-13 rating.

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp

This kind of tactic obviously works, or we would not repeatedly see it happen. I'd imagine there are a lot of people who want Star Trek VI, but not I and V. It is not like Paramount is going do the release the series without I and V, so using VI as a carrot to move them makes sense. Same for the Batman Anthology, The Fast and the Furious, and The Matrix movies. At least Warner seems to have the good will to eventually release the carrot in their sets as a standalone.

I think we will see CTHD as a stand alone release someday, but I bet there are enough people who want it badly enough to help Sony shed that excess CotGF and HoFD stock for the time being.

I really want CTHD, but if that is the game they are going to play, I think I'll sit on the sidelines. If they throw in a QUALITY release of HoFD and price the set as if it were just those two movies, I might bite and hopefully be able to sell that second CotGF copy I already own.

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
But using 2+3 as a carrot for 1, and 4+6 as a carrot for 5, would have made even more sense; instead, we got a very sensible trilogy box set. I'm confused. ;)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
love Crouching Tiger but I don't need those other movies so I won't be buying.

off topic how does one pronounce the word "caveat"?

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Now, if the bundle included 'Hero' rather than 'Curse,' I'd have no qualms at all about picking it up. Triple the Ziyi. But I like HOFD well enough, so I'll probably get it anyhow. I simply must have CTHD.

--Jefferson Morris

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Sigh....Bundle a movie, new to BD with two previous releases......class move Sony. I'm sure the local HTF studio apologists will think of this as a "fantastic" business move. :rolleyes

That said I don't own either and I'd buy the bundle if Flying Daggers was remastered........since I doubt that I'll wait for Crouching Tiger to come out solo.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks