-

Photo
- - - - -

Looky here: 'Crouching Tiger', possible caveat...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#1 of 34 OFFLINE   David Wilkins

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor

• 823 posts

Posted May 05 2009 - 08:14 AM

High-Def Digest is proclaiming a July 14 release date for 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon', but...possibly available only as part of a 3-title set.

No confirmation yet about stand-alone status, but I must admit wanting the other two titles as well. Check it out.

Sony Bundles Up 'Crouching Tiger' in Blu-ray Box Set | High-Def Digest

#2 of 34 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,863 posts

Posted May 05 2009 - 08:33 AM

Pretty odd that it would only be part of a 3-film set that includes 2 others that have already been released long ago. Most folks who'd want either of the other 2 would already own it by now, especially since they've both been seriously discounted (or available in various BOGOs or B2G1s) in the past. Maybe it's just an oversight that they haven't also announced a standalone release for it yet.

Anyway, can't wait to get CTHD on Blu though I wonder about the PQ since it was originally slated for 2006 release, no? Is it gonna be yet another old, substandard MPEG2 encode? Hope not.

_Man_
Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#3 of 34 OFFLINE   ScottJH

ScottJH

Second Unit

• 484 posts

Posted May 05 2009 - 09:33 AM

If it were to be released only in a box set, I would have to pass. Unless Sony were to package in a new version of House of Flying Daggers.

#4 of 34 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted May 06 2009 - 02:27 AM

While I love Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, I am not springing for a three-film box set in order to get it. This needs an individual release, and hopefully it will receive on soon.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#5 of 34 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,704 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 06 2009 - 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Arnette
While I love Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, I am not springing for a three-film box set in order to get it. This needs an individual release, and hopefully it will receive on soon.
Especially if you already own those other two titles on BRD.Posted Image

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#6 of 34 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,863 posts

Posted May 06 2009 - 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
Especially if you already own those other two titles on BRD.Posted Image

Hehheh... Well, I basically regret blind buying Curse... even at the bargain bin price I paid, IIRC. I mean the image on that one is truly eye-popping, especially for the gaudy interiors, but otherwise, it's just glorified soap opera of the highest order. Posted Image Posted Image Flying Daggers is also just ok, IMHO, and probably not worth owning, if not for the bargain bin price I paid. Posted Image

Even CTHD is not exactly w/out its flaws, but it's definitely by far the best of the three, and I'd love to have it (in excellent BD quality of course). Posted Image

_Man_
Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#7 of 34 OFFLINE   AaronMK

AaronMK

Supporting Actor

• 768 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted May 07 2009 - 07:39 AM

The current 'House of Flying Daggers' release is pretty bad, so I have held off despite really liking that movie. Hopefully they are giving that one a much needed "Fifth Element (remastered)" treatment.

I already own "Curse of the Golden Flower", but give me well (re)mastered "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" and "House of Flying Daggers" stand alone release, and I will be sold!

#8 of 34 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,215 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted May 07 2009 - 08:10 AM

I can wait until they sell it separately. It's bound to happen eventually.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#9 of 34 OFFLINE   David Wilkins

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor

• 823 posts

Posted May 07 2009 - 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronMK
The current 'House of Flying Daggers' release is pretty bad, so I have held off despite really liking that movie. Hopefully they are giving that one a much needed "Fifth Element (remastered)" treatment.

I already own "Curse of the Golden Flower", but give me well (re)mastered "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" and "House of Flying Daggers" stand alone release, and I will be sold!

Same here, I don't own the two existing titles. Putting together a set like this, surely Sony would remaster HFD. After all, it was one of the early release ugly ducklings that have been harshly criticized from day one. If not, then it's certainly a no-go for me.

I think Sony will end up releasing CTHD as a stand-alone from the start, anyway.

#10 of 34 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted May 07 2009 - 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wilkins
Putting together a set like this, surely Sony would remaster HFD.

Surely? Don't get your hopes up. This set seems designed to move some excess CotGF and HoFD and nothing more.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal

#11 of 34 OFFLINE   David Wilkins

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor

• 823 posts

Posted May 07 2009 - 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Arnette
Surely? Don't get your hopes up. This set seems designed to move some excess CotGF and HoFD and nothing more.

It's wishful thinking, I suppose, as is the concurrent stand-alone release of CTHD. We should have an actual press release before too long.

It's hard to figure where Sony's mind is at, so far as this release. Seems to me, that if they haven't improved HFD, it cheapens the entire package. I can't imagine that there's a huge mass of humanity clamoring for CTHD, to the extent of buying all three.

#12 of 34 OFFLINE   Vincent-P

Vincent-P

Second Unit

• 334 posts

Posted May 07 2009 - 04:30 PM

Not only does House Of Flying Daggers needs to be remastered, but it also needs to be released uncut. The US release had several cuts to obtain a PG-13 rating.

#13 of 34 OFFLINE   d3adpool

d3adpool

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted May 07 2009 - 04:39 PM

HoFD blu ray really disappointed me, hopefully CTHD won't.

#14 of 34 OFFLINE   AaronMK

AaronMK

Supporting Actor

• 768 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted May 07 2009 - 04:47 PM

Quote:
It's hard to figure where Sony's mind is at, so far as this release. Seems to me, that if they haven't improved HFD, it cheapens the entire package. I can't imagine that there's a huge mass of humanity clamoring for CTHD, to the extent of buying all three.

This kind of tactic obviously works, or we would not repeatedly see it happen. I'd imagine there are a lot of people who want Star Trek VI, but not I and V. It is not like Paramount is going do the release the series without I and V, so using VI as a carrot to move them makes sense. Same for the Batman Anthology, The Fast and the Furious, and The Matrix movies. At least Warner seems to have the good will to eventually release the carrot in their sets as a standalone.

I think we will see CTHD as a stand alone release someday, but I bet there are enough people who want it badly enough to help Sony shed that excess CotGF and HoFD stock for the time being.

I really want CTHD, but if that is the game they are going to play, I think I'll sit on the sidelines. If they throw in a QUALITY release of HoFD and price the set as if it were just those two movies, I might bite and hopefully be able to sell that second CotGF copy I already own.

#15 of 34 OFFLINE   ATimson

ATimson

Second Unit

• 398 posts

Posted May 07 2009 - 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronMK
This kind of tactic obviously works, or we would not repeatedly see it happen. I'd imagine there are a lot of people who want Star Trek VI, but not I and V. It is not like Paramount is going do the release the series without I and V, so using VI as a carrot to move them makes sense.
But using 2+3 as a carrot for 1, and 4+6 as a carrot for 5, would have made even more sense; instead, we got a very sensible trilogy box set. I'm confused. Posted Image
"Niceness is the greatest human flaw, except for all the others."
--Brendan Moody

#16 of 34 OFFLINE   AaronMK

AaronMK

Supporting Actor

• 768 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted May 07 2009 - 05:36 PM

Quote:
But using 2+3 as a carrot for 1, and 4+6 as a carrot for 5, would have made even more sense; instead, we got a very sensible trilogy box set. I'm confused.

LOL

I am glad you're not in Paramount's marketing department!! Posted Image

#17 of 34 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,169 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted May 08 2009 - 12:55 PM

love Crouching Tiger but I don't need those other movies so I won't be buying.

off topic how does one pronounce the word "caveat"?
facebook.com/whotony

#18 of 34 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted May 08 2009 - 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD
off topic how does one pronounce the word "caveat"?

caveat: definition and audio pronunciation from GREdic.com, the free GRE word list & dictionary

The Jackal

#19 of 34 OFFLINE   Jefferson Morris

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor

• 823 posts

Posted May 08 2009 - 03:49 PM

Now, if the bundle included 'Hero' rather than 'Curse,' I'd have no qualms at all about picking it up. Triple the Ziyi. But I like HOFD well enough, so I'll probably get it anyhow. I simply must have CTHD.

--Jefferson Morris
"If fakes, they were masterpieces."

--The New York Times commenting on Willis O'Brien's dinosaurs in The Lost World (1925).

"From the two trailers I've seen, the movie looks like AIDS."--Recent thread post on AICN

#20 of 34 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted May 09 2009 - 06:42 AM

Sigh....Bundle a movie, new to BD with two previous releases......class move Sony. I'm sure the local HTF studio apologists will think of this as a "fantastic" business move. Posted Image

That said I don't own either and I'd buy the bundle if Flying Daggers was remastered........since I doubt that I'll wait for Crouching Tiger to come out solo.
Death before Streaming!

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow