Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

SPHE Press Release: Air Force One -and- GLORY (Blu-Ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,619 posts

Posted May 04 2009 - 01:15 AM

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment Celebrates
Heroism and the Fight for Freedom with High Definition Releases

AIR FORCE ONE
AND
GLORY

Includes e-Movie Cash for The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 via BD-Live[1]

On Blu-ray Disc™ June 2nd

Culver City, CA (May 4, 2009) – Sony Pictures Home Entertainment re-lives two heart-pounding tales of American heroism and bravery with Oscar®-nominated Air Force One (Best Editing and Best Sound, 1998) and Oscar®-winner Glory (Best Cinematography and Best Sound, 1989) arriving on high definition Blu-ray™ June 2, 2009 for the SLP of $28.95 each. Each Blu-ray includes e-Movie Cash via BD-Live for the new movie The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3, in theaters 6/12/09. In Air Force One Harrison Ford (Indiana Jones) stars as President James Marshall who finds himself in the precarious situation of holding the fate of his family and the entire nation in his hands when Russian terrorists hijack the presidential plane. Glory stars Matthew Broderick (The Producers) as the brave commanding officer of the first all black regiment during the American Civil War. This powerful story also stars Oscar®-winners Denzel Washington (Best Actor in a Leading Role, Training Day, 2002 and Best Actor in a Supporting Role, Glory, 1989) and Morgan Freeman (Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role, Million Dollar Baby, 2005) as soldiers who fought for their nation as well as their race.

Air Force One
Air Force One Synopsis
The fate of the nation rests on the courage of one man. Harrison Ford and Gary Oldman (The Dark Knight) star in two-time Oscar® nominee Wolfgang Petersen's (The Perfect Storm, Troy) gripping thriller about an uncompromising U.S. President who has just told the world he will not negotiate with terrorists. When Russian neo-nationalists hijack Air Force One, the world's most secure and extraordinary aircraft, the President is faced with a nearly impossible decision to give in to terrorist demands or sacrifice not only the country's dignity, but the lives of his wife and daughter.

Blu-ray Disc Special Feature:
Director’s Commentary

Air Force One has a run time of approximately 125 minutes and is rated R for violence. Artwork is available at Welcome to SPHE Connect. Visit Sony Pictures Home Entertainment on the Web at Sony Pictures.

Air Force One
BD Catalog Number: 26951
BD UPC Code: 043396269514
BD Pre-Book: 4/30/09
BD SRP: $28.95

Glory
Glory Synopsis
The heart-stopping story of the first black regiment to fight for the North in the Civil War, Glory stars Matthew Broderick, Denzel Washington, Cary Elwes and Morgan Freeman. Broderick and Elwes are the idealistic young Bostonians who lead the regiment; Freeman is the inspirational sergeant who unites the troops; and Denzel Washington, in an Oscar® winning performance (1989, Best Supporting Actor), is the runaway slave who embodies the indomitable spirit of the 54th Regiment of Massachusetts.

Blu-ray Disc Special Features:
NEW Virtual Battlefield – Interactive Civil War Guide Map (Blu-ray Exclusive)
Director’s Commentary
The Voices of Glory
The True Story of Glory Continues Narrated by Morgan Freeman
Original Theatrical Making-of Featurette
Deleted Scenes with Optional Commentary
Crisis of Conscience

Glory has a run time of approximately 122 minutes and is rated R. Artwork is available at Welcome to SPHE Connect. Visit Sony Pictures Home Entertainment on the Web at Sony Pictures.

Glory
BD Catalog Number: 16094
BD UPC Code: 043396160941
BD Pre-Book: 4/30/09
BD SRP: $28.95

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 15 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,619 posts

Posted May 04 2009 - 01:18 AM

I am so happy to see GLORY finally released to Blu-ray. It stands
as my all-time favorite film.

Braveheart, 1776 and Saturday Night Fever round up the top 4.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#3 of 15 OFFLINE   Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,778 posts

Posted May 04 2009 - 02:03 AM

Good call on Glory - One of the finest films I have ever seen and James Horner's score for it stands as my favourite of all time. This is a film I cannot wait to see on Blu!
"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection

#4 of 15 OFFLINE   David_B_K

David_B_K

Screenwriter

• 1,557 posts

Posted May 04 2009 - 02:20 AM

Glory is an absolute must-have. The current DVD is only OK. It will be nice to finally delete my HDNet Movies DVR recording.

#5 of 15 OFFLINE   Gekkou

Gekkou

Stunt Coordinator

• 102 posts

Posted May 04 2009 - 02:43 AM

I'll be picking up Glory for sure. I loved it ever since I watched it in my seventh grade history class.

#6 of 15 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,668 posts

Posted May 04 2009 - 06:26 AM

Fortunately I had Glory on the "inform me when announced" list and received an e-mail from Amazon a few days ago.
Happily ordered already!

Cees

#7 of 15 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,575 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted May 04 2009 - 09:17 AM

I think this is the second Glory announcement. Also my all-time favorite movie! (Although Ron's #2-4 aren't quite so high on my list. Posted Image )
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#8 of 15 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,874 posts

Posted May 04 2009 - 10:56 AM

Great to see Glory coming soon. Posted Image Hope Sony does right by it.

_Man_
Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#9 of 15 OFFLINE   Shad R

Shad R

Supporting Actor

• 537 posts

Posted May 05 2009 - 02:40 AM

Glory is great, I will buy it for sure. Air Force One will be amazing on blu-ray. It was a reference disc on DVD ten years ago, so I'm sure the the new edition won't dissapoint. Just think...Air Force One taking off in Dolby Tru HD!!!!

#10 of 15 ONLINE   Brian L

Brian L

Screenwriter

• 2,882 posts

Posted May 05 2009 - 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad R
Glory is great, I will buy it for sure. Air Force One will be amazing on blu-ray. It was a reference disc on DVD ten years ago, so I'm sure the the new edition won't dissapoint. Just think...Air Force One taking off in Dolby Tru HD!!!!

AF1 was a fun film, save for one of the lamest special effects shot in modern cinema...the crash scene.

Every time I see that scene, I keep thinking....WTF????? That is REALLY the best they can do?

Sure would be nice if they could get a mulligan on that one and do it again with modern technology, revisionist film making be damned. They could even leave the original crash scene as an "extra" for the purists! ;-)

Brian

#11 of 15 OFFLINE   Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,683 posts

Posted May 05 2009 - 04:47 AM

This will be a nice companion to my 24/96 DAD version of the Glory soundtrack, and I hope the image is better than I think it will be - the image (by its very nature) wasn't exactly a visual marvel while the sound was always considered to be very impressive.

#12 of 15 OFFLINE   ATimson

ATimson

Second Unit

• 398 posts

Posted May 05 2009 - 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad R
Air Force One will be amazing on blu-ray. It was a reference disc on DVD ten years ago, so I'm sure the the new edition won't dissapoint.
A reference disc? Really? I find that hard to believe given that it was only single-layer...
"Niceness is the greatest human flaw, except for all the others."
--Brendan Moody

#13 of 15 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,874 posts

Posted May 05 2009 - 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATimson
A reference disc? Really? I find that hard to believe given that it was only single-layer...

I forget now, but it might've been a reference disc back when it originally came out -- certainly, the audio was considered reference at the time. At that time, RSDL was not common yet -- I'm not even sure if *any* titles used RSDL when AF1 was released. Heck, even the original non-16x9 release of The Rock was considered reference when it came out (and even stayed reference for a while after 16x9 became more common). Posted Image

Not sure if I'll get AF1 on BD myself -- maybe if/when it's available at some big sale or serious discount...

_Man_
Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#14 of 15 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,260 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted May 05 2009 - 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATimson
Sony came out with a dual-layered DTS Superbit pressing a year later. That's what he's referring to!Posted Image

#15 of 15 OFFLINE   ATimson

ATimson

Second Unit

• 398 posts

Posted May 05 2009 - 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukejosephchung
Sony came out with a dual-layered DTS Superbit pressing a year later. That's what he's referring to!Posted Image
Superbit would indeed make more sense, but I thought it was more like four years later, c. 2001, which is too recent for the cited "10 year" timeframe. Posted Image
"Niceness is the greatest human flaw, except for all the others."
--Brendan Moody

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow