• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 6,885 posts

Posted May 01 2009 - 02:11 PM

See my other thread about how I've given up on CD. I'll be buying LPs for anything I can from here on out. I have a very good pro quality sound card and I can make CDs from needle drops that sound better than most mass produced CDs.

Here are some examples using SoundForge to demonstrate:

Metallica "The Memory Remains" from ReLoad:

Here's what my rip of the CD single looks like:
Posted Image
And here's a rip of "The Memory Remains" from the CD I made from the vinyl:
Posted Image

Heinous.

Paul McCartney's "Dance Tonight" from "Memory Almost Full".
Posted Image
This is the record that put me over the edge. This whole CD sounds horrible, it is one of the worst victims of the "loudness wars" I've ever encountered. Nothing but horrible noise, fatiguing to listen to after a minute. And I'm a huge Paul McCartney fan. So I bought the record, the same track looks like this on the CD I made from the record:
Posted Image

The Latest record I've gotten is U2's "No Line On The Horizon". I didn't buy the CD, the rips are from a CD burned through Itunes from the Itunes version of the cd. This CD is actually not that bad, it's compressed to hell, but it's not nearly as brickwalled as the others. U2 must care, and their last record is often cited as a victim of the loudness wars.

Itunes "Get On Your Boots"
Posted Image
LP "Get On Your Boots" (with the next track a little also....)
Posted Image

Itunes "No Line On The Horizon"
Posted Image
LP "No Line On The Horizon"
Posted Image

Nice, huh? We have this great format CD which is capable of really good audio when it's done well. I have a lot of well mastered CDs which sound really wonderful. And I'm reduced to an archaic noisy format of LP if I want better fidelity. The "No Line On The Horizon" disc brings back all the things I didn't like about vinyl. It claims to be a 180 gram disc which I suppose should imply that it's well manufactured. The discs sure are heavy. However, while side 1 sounds wonderful, sides 2,3, and 4 have fairly distracting sibilance problems, most apparent on Bono's voice. Other than that it does sound very nice.

So there you have it. Spin it on. My mid-90s Denon DP7f with Audio Technica cart:
Posted Image
Philip Hamm
Moderator Emeritus

#2 of 5 ChristopherG

ChristopherG

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted May 01 2009 - 02:21 PM

Fascinating -

Really a shame that this is what the digital age has brought us to. I have several 180 and 200 gram audiophile LP needle drops that sound FANTASTIC compared to the OTS CD...
It takes 52 pounds of pressure to rupture an eyeball... :blink: 

#3 of 5 Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 6,396 posts

Posted May 09 2009 - 03:36 AM

Sad to see such poor mastering. Posted Image
Viewing: Sony KDSXBR150, Sony Bluray S570, ATT Uverse
Listening: Sony SCD777ES, Benchmark DAC1Pre, VPI/Modwright SWP9SE/Lyra Argo, Audio Research Ref3/VT100, Maggie 1.7s

#4 of 5 lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 995 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted May 10 2009 - 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Scoggins
Sad to see such poor mastering. Posted Image
It's even more painful to HEAR it, Lee! As an industry professional you would know...Posted Image

#5 of 5 MielR

MielR

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted May 14 2009 - 05:13 PM

Is this a fairly recent development in the world of CD mastering? I don't have many recently-recorded CDs. Most of my CDs from the 1980's and '90s sound decent, in spite of the fact that the technology wasn't as "mature" back then.
SAVE STAR WARS! BOYCOTT THE BLU-RAYS! "Like" us here:

http://www.facebook....ycotttheblurays

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users