What's new

IMDB Starmeter ratings (1 Viewer)

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Hi Gang,
As some of you may know, I am a struggling actor. I recently signed up for IMDBPro. In there, I am now able to see all actors/directors/movies etc. "Starmeter Ratings".
This is really interesting stuff (for me at least). I am not sure how they arrive at the individual ratings, but it is a combination of the popularity of the movies an actor has been in and how many people have gone to their profile on IMDB and probably some other metrics.
On the main page, it lists the weeks current top ten (smaller number the better). I have clawed my profile (Scott A. McGillivray) up to #41,480. I have been a bit higher, but that is where I am at this week.
Now, that number sounds rather crappy (and it is), but when I consider that IMDB lists over 2.5 Million people, then it is not so bad.
I find that the number is an interesting indicator on how a persons acting career is going.
I have looked up other people I have worked with and seen numbers as good as #16 (Johnny Depp) all the way down to the millions.
Just wanted to share!

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Huh...no one here interested in the Starmeter? Bummer.
Anyway, no surprise that this week, Hugh Jackman shot up to #2. Well...somewhat of a surprise in that I thought he would be #1. That spot goes to Robert Pattinson from Twilight. That movie must be more popular than I thought!
Oh...I crawled up 7% this week to #38, 462. Yay! :D

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
I clicked through to your profile, so that's +1 for you. The only thing that you've been in that I've seen is the Psych episode, but I'm looking forward to your work as "Dancing Policeman #4".
I like that the second most common "plot keyword" for your body of work is "female nudity". Well done. :emoji_thumbsup:
Brad

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
It's not that interesting to us because we don't subscribe and we're just teased with the "So-and-so is up 15% this week! Join IMDbPro to find out why!" If non-members have access to the ranking list you mentioned, I've never known about it. In fact, other than the sentence above, non-subscribers don't really have a good idea what it's about.
I'm not trying to be dismissive, but just to explain. I will say that it is sometimes interesting to see an actor get some press (good or bad) and go to their IMDb page and know that has something to do with why they are up or down that week.

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian W. Ralston
Really Scott...the rating means next to nothing. Sure...some popular folks are going to rise to the top when their film comes out due to a lot of folks going on IMDb to search for them...but there are a LOT of industry folks (I am referring to behind the scenes people) who have HUGE careers and yet have much lower numbers than even yours.
Producer Director Bob Degus for example...Produced Pleasantville...most of F. Gary Grey's first set of films...He is 398,842.
????
Producer Bonnie Curtis...was Spielberg's right hand woman for many years...co-produced Saving Private Ryan, produced A.I. Minority report...and many others....she is 85,082 this week. So...your career with an IMDb rank of 41,480 would be going better than hers? See what I am getting at?
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

So...the number means nothing to industry folks who do the hiring and is not indicative of how well someone's career is going by any stretch. At most it is indicative of how many times your name is being searched by the public on IMDb..combined with what rank your previous projects currently have...and perhaps how much press you have had. And since most entertainment press is concerned with folks in front of the camera rather than those behind the camera...the numbers mean different things for different folks. I saw my IMDb Pro Ranking number in ONE month last year go from:
2008 Nov 30299,593
2008 Dec 7 1,499,849
2008 Dec 14481,742
2008 Dec 211,479,916
2008 Dec 28282,693
It was actually rather humorous. Large jumps like that indicate to me that IMDb's super secret weighted average formulas are not really that accurate when you start applying them to folks out of the top 100 or so in any professional category. But then again...who goes on IMDb to search for a composer?
Not many folks.
;)

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Well see...now THAT is the kind of discussion I was looking for! :D
I agree that, overall, it is not a true indicator of someones success...more of a curiosity perhaps? I don't know. I see other people on IMDb that I know, and the number gives me a bit of an indication if they are still actively chasing the business etc.
I have heard of producers mentioning someones rating when trying to promote a film. They would say that "so-and-so" is in a movie and they have a great starmeter rating. I would love to hear other people in the business chime in to say if it is used at all or if it is just a gimmick.

BrettV

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brett Voss
This thread is cracking me up.
A director friend and I used to see who could have the higher imdb rating just for fun. When he'd release something or work with another very successful director, his imdb would go up pretty good and tower above mine. Other times, I'd be the tower.
I have no idea what his or my score is anymore, though. Thanks for the memory.

Shawn Younai

Auditioning
I'm not sure if it's raise your imdb star meter or boost your imdb star meter since you can't really raise your imdb ranking score you have to lower your imdb ranking score.
It's a little confusing. I recently found a website call www.imdbstarmeter.com they claim you can boost your imdb starmeter, Like anyone I was a little spectacle of this website has anyone been there?
They claim they have a full money back guaranty, I can't afford $200.00 a month to try the service.
Is that too expensive?

imdbstars

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason Alexander
www.imdbstars.com guarantees Top 5000 status on IMDB for $19.95. imdbstars . com

imdbstars

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason Alexander
www.imdbstars.com guarantees Top 5000 status on IMDB for $19.95. imdbstars . com

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks