Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF DVD REVIEW: TCM Spotlight: Doris Day Collection

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,121 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted April 28 2009 - 05:26 AM

Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#2 of 16 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,121 posts

Posted April 28 2009 - 05:32 AM

My apologies for the tardiness of this review. My projector bulb went out before I could watch Tunnel of Love. I thought I was all-square last week when a replacement arrived, but it turned out to be broken in transit (a severed wire, fortunately, not broken glass/mercury leak) so I had to wait for another one. All is well again in Kensville. Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#3 of 16 OFFLINE   CineKarine

CineKarine

Supporting Actor

• 672 posts

Posted April 28 2009 - 07:36 AM

Thank you for the great review. I just got the set as a gift yesterday, so I cannot wait to watch it. Posted Image My favorite of the bunch is It's a Great Feeling though, followed closely by Tea for Two. Posted Image
Sing your worries away, smile, be kind and accentuate the positive!
DVD wish list: The Accused (48), Margie (46), I'll Get By (50), The Constant Nymph (43), The Voice of the Turtle (47), The Barretts of Wimpole Street (34), Her Twelve Men (54), The Lost Moment (47), I Walk Alone (48), The Glass...

#4 of 16 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,686 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted April 28 2009 - 07:51 AM

Thanks for the great review. I purchased this to further my Day collection, but I'm dreading sitting through these films again. Posted Image They did save the worst for last, IMO.

And speaking of last, doesn't Warner own the rights to Where Were You When the Lights Went Out? as well as Julie to finish off their Doris titles on DVD?

#5 of 16 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,121 posts

Posted April 28 2009 - 11:32 AM

You are correct. "Where Were You..." is part of the MGM library. Any others I missed? Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#6 of 16 OFFLINE   Frank Ha

Frank Ha

Second Unit

• 355 posts
  • LocationLand of mole, tlayudas and chapulines

Posted April 29 2009 - 02:03 AM

Good review. Thanks. I've already purchased this for my mom for Mother's Day. She's a big Doris Day fan.
"And in the end, the only thing you really own is... your story.  Just trying to live a good one" - The Drover 

#7 of 16 OFFLINE   RPMay

RPMay

Extra

• 17 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles CA

Posted April 29 2009 - 04:14 AM

While it is proper for Ken to compliment WB for the quality of the TUNNEL OF LOVE video, his history on the film element is faulty. He speculates it "survived the Eastman House Fire". TUNNEL.. was made in 1958, long after the use of safety film became standard, thus would not have been stored at GEH with MGM's nitrate negatives. The quality can properly be acknowledged to MGM's careful storage of the original elements.

#8 of 16 OFFLINE   Corey

Corey

Screenwriter

• 1,412 posts

Posted April 29 2009 - 05:13 AM

I purchased this. I like it so far, especially Tea For Two and April in Paris.
Corey's most wanted R1 dvds:

Little Darlings (1980), My Cousin Rachel (1952), The Deep Blue Sea (1955), The White Cliffs of Dover (1944), Born to Be Bad (1950), Ivy (1947), Reckless (1935), Springtime in the Rockies (1942), The Barretts of Wimpole Street

#9 of 16 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,121 posts

Posted April 29 2009 - 06:00 AM

You are correct. Hollywood migrated to safety from the late 40s to the very early 50s. The only title in this set that has no chance of having been shot on nitrate stock is "The Tunnel of Love". Sorry about that and thanks.

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#10 of 16 OFFLINE   Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,946 posts

Posted April 29 2009 - 11:56 AM

Ken. No offense, but if you are a musical fan, you get uesed to the same mistakes repeated in print constantly. The two biggest mad3e by reviewers are 1. White Christmas is a remake of Holiday Inn ( It a"int) 2. Tes for two is a remake of No NO Nanette (It a'int).

#11 of 16 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,121 posts

Posted April 29 2009 - 01:01 PM

I believe I covered myself sufficiently on that one by using the phrase "very loose" and "easily the least beholden to its source material". Posted Image

They at least kept a handful of songs, the name of the title character, and a plot excuse for the title they did not use.

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#12 of 16 OFFLINE   John Skoda

John Skoda

Stunt Coordinator

• 171 posts

Posted April 30 2009 - 06:37 AM

Right, but this misconception is easy to understand, based on the fact that all original ad materials said so. Heck, it even used to say so in the credits (which is why we have that ugly blur today).

#13 of 16 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,686 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted April 30 2009 - 11:10 AM

According to an interview with George Feltenstein in the New York Times, that was burned into the negative right before release due to very last minute rights problems. It must have been cheaper than redoing the title sequence.

#14 of 16 OFFLINE   John Skoda

John Skoda

Stunt Coordinator

• 171 posts

Posted May 01 2009 - 12:22 AM

Yes, but the promotional materials with the NO, NO NANETTE credit had already gone out. Check out the credits block from the NY Times review from 1950. "Suggested by the musical play NO, NO NANETTE...."

http://movies.nytime....BF66838B649EDE

#15 of 16 OFFLINE   Drew Salzan

Drew Salzan

Second Unit

• 278 posts

Posted May 01 2009 - 01:17 AM

Purchased this yesterday at Costco. Very nice... Yes, that big blurry blob in the Tea For Two title sequence is quite distracting. Still, the transfer is a major improvement over my laserdisc. At last I can finally retire all of my Doris Day laserdiscs. Yeah! An asside. Does the framing on It's a Great Feeling look a little tight at the top? Maybe I'm imagining things.

#16 of 16 OFFLINE   haroldS

haroldS

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts

Posted May 01 2009 - 11:50 AM

Costco brought it in with a group of other titles, including Forbidden Hollywood II and III. The same SKU # for all three. The price is $34.99. That's a 30% discount. It seems high for a set with a $50. list price, compared to the Amazon or even the B & N price.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DVD Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users