What's new

Directors Overrated bands (1 Viewer)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Ok, so I'm starting a poll of overrated bands and musicians. Remember, this is for overrated musicians, not bad musicians. I don't even think the ones on my list are bad, and I like some of them, but all the attention and accolades just ain't deserved. I like to see what you all pick.

1. Beatles

2. Grateful Dead

3. U2

4. Sting

5. Eric Clapton

6. Rolling Stones

7. REM

8. Nirvana

9. Fleetwood Mac

10. Eagles

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
-Rage Agianst the Machine

-The Doors

-Genesis

-The Eagles

-Sonic Youth (Daydream Nation is one of the greatest albums ever made, but outside of "GOO" most of their other stuff sucks.

Brad_W

Screenwriter
Well any rap would... oh wait you said bands! This is where people have to learn an instrument and write their own music!? Okay um...

-Nirvana

-Pearl Jam

-Creed

-Bush

-and any other band with that lame Eddie "I'm sensitive and my Hoo Ha hurts" Vedder voice.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Brad, loved the stab at rap :D
I guess before anyone gets bent out of shape I should add that is all IMHO :rolleyes:)
U2(A FEW good songs but.....)
Limp Bizkit(Look up "untalented hack" in the dictionary youll see a picture of these trolls)
Kid Rock
The Eagles(God, DO I HATE this band!)
Boston(See The Eagles)
Metallica(Went from the greatest band in the world to very ordinary and un-special)
Guns N Roses
Sound Garden
Pearl Jam
Blink 182(Could someone please explain this one to me)
KoRn(Is is just me or do all these guys songs sound the same-heavy part,stupid noises on the 7 string,chrous,stupid noises on the 7 string etc.If youve heard one KoRn song, youve heard them all)
Aerosmith(Lame,lame,lame commercial shitty songs,a couple of their 70's tunes are just ok)
Marilyn Manson(Would someone please get rid of this jerk)
Godsmack(Any band that takes their name from another bands songs isnt very creative from the start)
SlipKnot
Linkin Park, Static X,Spineshank,Mudvayn and all these other NuMetal bands make me want to
smiley_puke.gif
Does anyone bother to learn their instrument anymore?
And if I see one more guy on MTV playing a (overpriced,not handmade anymore)Paul Reed Smith ,Im gonna run amok!
Basically I think 99.9% of newer music is the pits.
Thanks, I need this :D

Geno

Supporting Actor
Here is a list of all time overrated bands:

NSYNK

BACKSTREET BOYS

BRITNEY SPEARS

O STREET

CRISTINA AGULIARA

DESTINYS CHILD

help me think of more guys/gals, all those bands you listed above, at least they can play instruments and do not have to lip sync on stage.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I think the Rolling Stones are over rated because just a few short years ago is when they finally learned to play more than 3 chords. :)

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Godsmack(Any band that takes their name from another bands songs isnt very creative from the start)
JonZ,
That is not where Godsmack's name comes from. I met Sully Erna(Lead Singer) and the band in their earlier days and the name stems from the sudden appearance of a pimple on one of the groups face and Sully said "God just smacked you" and thats how they ended up with that name. Not the greatest way to name a band I know, but they didn't get it from another bands songs.
Back on the topic:
Michael Jackson Sucks A*s
All those "Teeny Bopper" bands suck
Michael Bolton
All RAP
this all IMHO of course:)

Kendal Kirk

Stunt Coordinator
Even though I love Everclear songs and studio albums, I am sadly disappointed in their live performance capabilities. I guess playing live is the true test of a bands abilities.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I agree with Nirvana, and I add:

-Alien Ant Farm

-Puff Daddy and his extended group of artists (Puff Daddy is the ultimate in suckiness)

-Led Zeppelin (their off-stage travails were better than their on-stage music)

-Brian Setzer and any of his bands (I gave my "Brian Setzer Orchestra" CD to my mom)

-Frank Sinatra (Once again, off-stage is better than on)

Sincerely,

John "You asked for it!" Kilduff

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Oh, and I forgot:

-Eminem (I wish he'd just drop off the face of the Earth. I don't care what what his gay and female fans say...homophobia and misogyny aren't that funny.)

Sincerely,

John "Great, here comes the shitstorm" Kilduff

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
1. Beatles
Perhaps I don't understand what overrated means. But it seems to me that the highest a band could be rated would be number 1, and if you consider the Beatles overrated because many think they're number 1, then pray tell who do you think should be rated above them.

I guess what I'm saying is that when you really are the best, it's impossible to be overrated. And in my opinion, that applies to the Beatles.

Trevor H

Second Unit
Radiohead - their music isn't bad but that lead singer sounds like a cat with it's tail caught in a door.
Oasis - Beatles wannabee's, nuff said
new Aerosmith - these guys used to be my favorite band, they should have stopped making records after Permanent Vacation, if you look up "sell out" you will see a picture of these now posers, sad just sad.
Eric Clapton - for basically the same reasons as Aerosmith, used to be one of the greatest, his new stuff just reaks like cheeze.
Our Lady Peace - if your not from Canada you may be lucky enough to not have been exposed to these talentless losers, I can't even put into words how badly they suck, yet they are played on the radio here about 20 times a day.
Thats all for now, maybe I'll think of a few more later.

Michael Caicedo

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Caicedo
I see a lot of bands that truly do not deserve to be on this thread in my opinion. Perhaps their style may not be my cup o' tea but I think musicianship, originality, songwriting, how they influenced the music that came after, are definately signs of good/great bands. The Beatles overrated? U2 a few good songs? Yeah, right, Babe Ruth hit a few homeruns. REM? Just three or four masterpiece albums, and I'm not talking about "happy shiny people" or other radio hits top 40 stations happened to play. But, that's just my opinion. I would put in the overrated category any band/act with a huge following that comes up short in the areas I mentioned. Peace.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Other than the painfully obvious boy bands/rap/Michael Bolton/most country/girlie-group/gangstas/neo-metalheads/newer Stones-Aerosmith/EminemBlink182Korn crapola, I offer the following:
Barenaked Ladies - One great song, whole lotta mediocre pop.
Kiss - Someone please 'splain to me why these guys are still around.
Dave Matthews Band - I don't get it. I really don't.
Pink Floyd - They don't totally blow, but much of their stuff doesn't hold up very well over time for me. And weak lyrics.
The Grateful Dead - Again, not totally useless, but the intensity of their fans' devotion has amazed me for years.
Frank Zappa - See Grateful Dead comment.
Ben Folds Five - After all I've read about this band, I expected to love the music. A moderate disappointment.
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Just kidding.
Jon

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
George, I included the Beatles because, quite frankly, they are considered gods. They are not gods, they are men. Just like every other artists, they have their faults and their weaknesses, but people ignore them, because they are so involved with the iconisation and the fetishisation of the Beatles-as-figureheads, that music becomes a small matter of concern for many. The smartest and truest thing any of the Beatles ever said was that they were bigger than Jesus. It's just absurd. With all of the thousands of bands and musicians out there, it's quite ridiculous for everyone to claim that one of them is "the best."

Note that I have left out my opinion of their music. It doesn't matter, as it's not relevant to this thread.

The Beatles, like U2, the Grateful Dead, and many of the huge acts are often venerated for reasons other than the music itself (pop-culture phenomenon, politics, etc). Therefore, I consider them overrated.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps I don't understand what overrated means. But it seems to me that the highest a band could be rated would be number 1, and if you consider the Beatles overrated because many think they're number 1, then pray tell who do you think
should be rated above them.
I guess what I'm saying is that when you really are the best, it's impossible to be overrated. And in my opinion, that applies to the Beatles.
George-
I don't think that I have ever agreed more precisely and completely with any other statement that I have ever seen here at HTF! :emoji_thumbsup:

Alan K

Agent
Creed

Linkin Park

Godsmack

Slipknot

Celine Dion

Mariah Carey

Shaggy

Most rap acts, not all though. I do like Outkast, Beastie Boys, Jurassic 5, Public Enemy, Busta Rhymes, Tribe Called Quest and a few others. Not all rap is bad ,it does take a large amount of talent, they do write music and a few of them even play instruments. Many of you should keep an open mind toward different genres of music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks