What's new

Rush Concerts on DVD coming in 2002 (1 Viewer)

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
I just received an email this morning and the 3 Rush concerts are on their way for release in early 2002.

Here is part of the email:

Anthem Entertainment has confirmed that "Exit Stage Left," "Grace Under Pressure" and "A Show of Hands" will be released on DVD and have cited their release dates as early 2002.

Darren H

Second Unit
If I'm not mistaken, "A Show of Hands" is from the "Hold Your Fire" Tour, which was the first rock concert I attended. I don't listen to Rush much these days, but I'll probably pick it up for the nostalgia factor, if nothing else.

I saw that show at the now-mostly-vacant Capital Center in Maryland (fall of '87, I think). I remember the opening band came out -- I think it was the McCauley-Shenker (?) Group -- and the singer yelled, "Washington, D.C., are you ready to rock?" You could have heard a cricket chirp. It was a moment straight out of Spinal Tap. Two guys sitting a few rows in front of me stood up, gave this pathetic "woo hoo," then proceeded to bang their heads for the entire set. When MSG were finished, the two guys turned around and left. I'll never forget that.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Rob, what's a PCM track?

Anywaym, thanks for the heads up, guys. I most certainly shall acquire these products.

I'm in the vast minority of music / Rush fans, but I really like 80s Rush, so Show of Hands will be cool.

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
I think it was the McCauley-Shenker (?) Group
This was one the various MSG lineups. IMHO Michael Schenker is/was one of the most underrated guitar players to come from the metal/hard rock scenes. He joined his brother Rudolph's band "Scorpions" at age 16 and by age 18 was in the popular European band UFO. Around 1980 he embarked upon his solo career - MSG (Michael Schenker Group). Graham Bonnet (ex Rainbow, Alcatrazz, etc.) sang on "Assault Attack" and overall the band had several very good albums. McAuley is Robin McAuley who joined around 1987 and did 5 albums with MSG.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
PCM stands for Pulse Coded Modulation. It's the same uncompressed audio format found on CDs and LaserDisc.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Sounds like good news (Tho there are so many rumors right now, I don't know what to beleve sometimes).

The latest rumors that I've heard.

First single in January from the new album.

Release date of album: March 12.

The January rumor seems to be coming from radio stations, so it might be credible...

Jason

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
IMHO Michael Schenker is/was one of the most underrated guitar players to come from the metal/hard rock scenes.
I completely agree, John! His name belongs among (and often above) the many we consider rock gods. Meaning the likes of Van Halen, Rhoads, Lifeson, etc... :emoji_thumbsup:

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Brett_B et al.:
Any new, confirmed news (read: not TriNet 'Net/fan boy rumors) about street dates for Exit . . . Stage Left, Grace Under Pressure Tour and A Show Of Hands DVDs?
And what about Through the Camera Eye, dammit?! :)
"Endlessly rocking,"
Paul

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
Still nothing on dvdpricesearch.com. They usually have things pretty far in advance. I use them for street dates a lot and they are pretty accurate.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Brett_B et al.:

Just had to, unfortunately, gloat a bit and toss this back up to the top:

Glad I maintained my skeptical stance on this one (see my post #11 above) since this, of course, did not happen.

Looking forward to Rush In Rio in Novemeber, but still even more interested in Through the Camera Eye, Exit . . . Stage Left, Grace Under Pressure Tour and A Show Of Hands DVDs.

Paul

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Zane:
If anyone has a different understanding, please chime in but it seems that record labels don't do press releases regarding street date announcements for titles the way the movie studios do. (And to the extent they do, they are not covered to the same degree by sites like DVD File and Digital Bits.)
I could be wrong, but I don't think Atlantic has made an official announcement regarding the release of Rush In Rio.
However, Ged has the following to say in his most recent post (made approximately two months ago) to www.GeddyLee.net ):
Fortunately we had the good sense (good luck really) to have decided to film one of . . . [the] shows . . . [from our recent tour]: . . . The last show in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. We hope to have the editing of this footage finished soon and plan to release it on D.V.D. sometime in the coming months, complete with some fun extra stuff like pictures of Big Al at home in his pajamas, a documentary on the Brazilian tour, and some other er..unusual things hidden in there somewhere.
We shall see.
Paul

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
A Reuters story that ran yesterday:
"Rush Roars Back To RIO"
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp.../music_rush_dc
tour.
The disc features 28 songs, ranging from staples such as "Tom Sawyer," "Limelight," "The Spirit of Radio" and "YYZ" to newer album cuts like "One Little Victory," "Earthshine" and "Secret Touch."
Said bassist Geddy Lee on his official Web site (http://www.geddylee.net), "It was quite an evening with another incredible crowd and we managed pull off a pretty darn good performance to boot."
The DVD version of "Rush in Rio" includes all 28 songs from the CD, augmented with a documentary with footage from other shows in the Brazilian cities Porte Allegre and Sao Paolo.
Fans will be able to view the action from multiple cameras, and, according to Lee, will be treated to "extra stuff like pictures of Big Al at home in his pajamas and some other unusual things hidden in there somewhere."
Rush has been inactive since the end of its last tour, but will regroup Wednesday (July 30) to play the Molson Canadian Rocks for Toronto benefit, alongside the Rolling Stones, AC/DC and Justin Timberlake.
Addressing rumors that the band may take an extended break before a new project, Lee wrote, "after a reasonable amount of time off I'm sure we will wander back into the studio and attempt to make another collection of esoteric yet unrepentantly bombastic rock ditties. After which (providing that goes well of course) we will probably throw ourselves back out there on the road so we can give and take the abuse that we and you so richly deserve!"
Reuters/Billboard
Of course, I wish Atlantic would release a companion DVD-Audio instead of/in addition to the three-CD release.
Paul

Zane Charron

Second Unit
Hmmm, unless it's a particularly good performance I don't think I'd get the companion CD set. The DVD will do. I just wish it would hurry up already.

I think Rush should do a tour strictly made up of obscure numbers that have never gotten much play (On the radio or from casual fans). I'm thinking of songs like Cinderella Man, Entre Nous, Different Strings, Chemistry, etc. I don't want a FIFTH live version of Spirit of Radio and Tom Sawyer. Geesh.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks