Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Rush Concerts on DVD coming in 2002

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
140 replies to this topic

#41 of 141 OFFLINE   ElevSkyMovie

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor

• 575 posts

Posted July 08 2005 - 12:45 AM

Quote:
I sure hope they do something more with the 3 older Rush concert videos than merely port them over to DVD

A Show of Hands came out on Laser Disc (at least one version) that was the entire concert, minus one song and part of the drum solo. Other than that, the entire show is there as played live. So, I'm not sure how much they could add to that.

Exit...Stage Left was missing 8 to 10 songs from the "Moving Pictures" tour setlist. Speculation is that the extra footage from that show was either lost or thrown out, so that disc may be pretty bare bones.

I believe the "Grace Under Pressure" laser disc is missing a few songs from the GUP tour setlist, so there could be some additions there.

Rush has a lot of video in their archives. Hopefully they'll go through their archives and pull some things out.

#42 of 141 OFFLINE   Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,813 posts
  • LocationHollywood, California

Posted July 08 2005 - 01:57 AM

Quote:
I sure hope they do something more with the 3 older Rush concert videos than merely port them over to DVD, like Chronicles. I would still buy them, but it would be a pretty crappy effort.
I won't re-cap herein the lengthy exchange I had with Sergio Martorelli here:
http://www.hometheat....29#post1716629

But suffice it to say I disagree. Even a judiciously remastered straight content port of these three titles would be welcomed. (And technically the Chronicles DVD included 2 vids that were not originally on that title.)
Quote:
That link just had a stray comma in it.
Thx for the link to the ad, Kyle. Terrific to see that it includes the Blu-ray logo, some kind of additional hi def DVD logo and a reference to "analog audio and video TAPE RESTORATION," which was not the forte of Coming Home Studios, the company which produced and distributed Rush In Rio. This intimates that Fogo is indeed doing remastering work on ESL, GUP and ASoH.

And yeah--if you'll scroll back you'll see we figured the comma issue out a while ago. Posted Image
Quote:
Also, Rush's website announced several years ago that the 3 older shows were being worked on for dvd release, so Fogo didn't let the cat out of the bag on that.
Yes but the intimation at the time was that the releases were happening in or about 2002, not three years later.

That's an interesting idea, Kyle: make the catalog releases (more) complete presentations of the set lists of the tours they "represent."

-p

#43 of 141 OFFLINE   ElevSkyMovie

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor

• 575 posts

Posted July 08 2005 - 03:07 AM

That's what fans on the Rush site's I've seen are looking for, complete setlists. Like I said, A Show of Hands is nearly complete. Rush in Rio is the first complete concert video they have released. In the past, I think they didn't release the entire show because of time limitations. Those limitations aren't there with dvd. Since many fans favorite song is "The Camera Eye" from "Moving Pictures", many people are hoping that will be added back in to ESL. You can hear a teaser of the live version at the beginning of ESL when I think it's Neal who is talking and the video is showing the crew setting up. Complete shows are what we're hoping for.

Here is what someone from a Rush site posted. It shows what is missing from the typical MP setlist:

Quote:
Jacob's Ladder wasn't played during the 1981 show filmed in Montreal. There are several songs on the Exit...Stage Left album that were recorded in 1980 on the Permanent Waves tour (Jacob's Ladder, Closer To The Heart, A Passage To Bangkok, Beneath Between & Behind). Here's what is missing from the video, and may perhaps be seen some day if it isn't lost:

2112 Overture/Temples
Hemispheres: Prelude
Beneath, Between, Behind
The Camera Eye
YYZ / Drum Solo
Broon's Bane
The Spirit of Radio
Vital Signs
Natural Science
Working Man
Hemispheres: Armageddon

#44 of 141 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,535 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted July 08 2005 - 04:44 AM

Heck, those missing songs are enough for a complete release of their own!

Wonder if I'll be able to hold off on R-30 until I upgrade to Blu-Ray. . . Posted Image
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#45 of 141 OFFLINE   David Noll

David Noll

Stunt Coordinator

• 227 posts

Posted July 08 2005 - 04:49 AM

Seeing this thread has my mouth drooling! I recently completed my home theater (click link below) and can't wait for the DVD's. I have been a die-hard fan since the Signal's tour. Seen them live 8 times.

David

#46 of 141 OFFLINE   Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,813 posts

Posted July 08 2005 - 09:26 AM

Quote:
Wonder if I'll be able to hold off on R-30 until I upgrade to Blu-Ray. . .
IF R-30 streets in late '05 and the Blu-ray-compatible PlayStation 3 hits shelves in early spring '06, it could potentially be a short, Netflix-able wait. Posted Image

I suggest that you put the standard def at the top of your Holiday list and get someone to buy that for you and then spring for the hi def yourself. Posted Image

-p

#47 of 141 OFFLINE   Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,813 posts

Posted July 08 2005 - 09:34 AM

Perhaps a Admin can change the name of this thread to "Rush concerts coming on DVD in 2006?"

Isn't it pathetic that we're made to stand here, wallets open . . . waiting . . . waiting for official versions of these titles . . . Posted Image

-p

#48 of 141 OFFLINE   Brett_B

Brett_B

Supporting Actor

• 723 posts

Posted July 21 2005 - 04:17 AM

Just some info in regards to another Rush DVD release from Neil Peart's website:
New Instructional DVD: "In mid-July, I will start the filming of a new instructional DVD, this one to focus on the subject of drum soloing. The working title is Anatomy of a Drum Solo. It will be based around an intricately-filmed solo from R30, plus the Grammy-losing '“O Baterista!' from Rush in Rio, and will include a wide variety of other 'ghosts of solos past.' All that, and me talking about it all. (Maybe that’s a better title, 'Ellwood Explains It All.')"

NOW I AM DROOLING!

#49 of 141 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,535 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted July 21 2005 - 04:55 AM

Neil Peart -- the *one* guy who can play a drum solo that doesn't drive people from the room screaming. . . Posted Image
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#50 of 141 OFFLINE   Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman

Producer

• 4,956 posts

Posted July 22 2005 - 02:18 AM

Yeah. At least he has little clangy melodic thingies and, recently, a spinning set and film clips and the like. It's still pointless, but entertaining.

#51 of 141 OFFLINE   Rob_D

Rob_D

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted August 09 2005 - 11:44 AM

Woah. I'd pay $50 for Exit... Stage Left on dvd with Natural Science!!!

#52 of 141 OFFLINE   James_Kiang

James_Kiang

Screenwriter

• 1,171 posts

Posted August 10 2005 - 10:52 AM

So, what exactly is this R-30 I'm hearing about? I went to the Rush site and found nothing about it.

#53 of 141 OFFLINE   ElevSkyMovie

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor

• 575 posts

Posted August 10 2005 - 12:15 PM

Nothing has been announced about the R-30 dvd. R-30 is what the band was calling their tour last year since it has been 30 years since they formed. They filmed a tour stop in Germany that will be coming out at the end of the year.

#54 of 141 OFFLINE   James_Kiang

James_Kiang

Screenwriter

• 1,171 posts

Posted August 11 2005 - 11:14 AM

Thanks Kyle. I pretty much figured that's what it was, but just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed any announcements. I missed the concert Posted Image so I'd be glad to pick up the dvd.

#55 of 141 OFFLINE   Brett_B

Brett_B

Supporting Actor

• 723 posts

Posted September 01 2005 - 11:13 PM

Nothing has been announced about the R-30 dvd. R-30 is what the band was calling their tour last year since it has been 30 years since they formed. They filmed a tour stop in Germany that will be coming out at the end of the year.

IT'S OFFICIAL NOW (R30)

This is from Rush's official website:

NEW RUSH DVDS AVAILABLE SOON

Rush will be releasing the highly anticipated R30 DVD in late fall 2005. R30 will feature the sold out concert that Rush played in Frankfurt, Germany in October 2004 during their 30th Anniversary tour.

Neil Peart is currently working on the follow up to his instructional drum video "A Work In Progress." The follow up will be released as a DVD and is set for release in late fall 2005. The new DVD is produced by Hudson Music and is entitled "Anatomy of Drum Solo."

Please stay tuned to www.rush.com in the coming weeks for information regarding these releases.

#56 of 141 OFFLINE   Brett_B

Brett_B

Supporting Actor

• 723 posts

Posted September 21 2005 - 04:13 AM

Okay, I will just talk to myself, but in case others are still following these developments:

Rock Group Rush Set For DVD Release and New Album

September 19, 2005 4:01 a.m. EST

Douglas Maher - All Headline News Staff Reporter

Toronto, Canada (AHN) - Rush fans are rejoicing after a lull in action from the band in 2005, taking nearly a year off to focus on guitarist Alex Lifeson's trial in Naples, Florida and work on a plethora of upcoming DVD projects for the end of 2005 and throughout 2006.

"R:30-Rush Live In Frankfurt," is to be released on November 15. The DVD set will feature a full performance of the German show during the band's 30th Anniversary Tour in 2004. It will also feature a full length documentary on the history of Rush that has a running time of just over one hour and exclusive lost live footage of the band from the early 1980s.

Drummer Neil Peart will release an instructional DVD titled "Anatomy of A Drum Solo" to be released through Hudson Music on December 13. The DVD will contain over two hours of Peart playing through numerous versions of drum solos he has performed for the better part of thirty years.

Rush plans to begin reissuing their VHS catalog on DVD with the 1981 concert film Exit Stage Left..., 1984's Grace Under Pressure Tour, and a performance recorded in 1988, A Show of Hands. The DVD's will be offered in a special box set and then individually.

If that was not enough news for Rush fans, the band has reportedly begun the process of pre-production and are in the early stages of writing for their new album which should be ready for release sometime in 2006 pending no delays.

#57 of 141 OFFLINE   Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,813 posts

Posted September 21 2005 - 05:33 AM

Naw, Brett--you're hardly talking to yourself. I've just been rabble-rousing and beating the online bush so hard for so long about GUP, ESL, ASoH and TtCE DVDs that it's difficult for me to get excited about it now until I perhaps have the discs in my hands, especially with hi def DVD on the horizon. Do you know how many times I've been led to believe those discs were coming?

And now still, although I'm happy to see release dates for R30 and Neil's vid, we still don't have release dates for the catalog titles. Just "soon" and "plans to begin reissuing . . . ." Fuck that--it's nothing new. I want dates, so then we can at least opine as to what date the release is going to get delayed from.

-p

P.S. - Where'd you get that release, Brett? It hasn't shown up in my in box from Rush.com yet. Curious to me that the release says the band took a break in 2005 to focus on Alex's trial. I know the guys very much support each other, but that's a matter that I would think largely involved the band's and Alex's personal attorneys.

#58 of 141 OFFLINE   TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted September 21 2005 - 06:08 AM

Quote:
Curious to me that the release says the band took a break in 2005 to focus on Alex's trial. I know the guys very much support each other, but that's a matter that I would think largely involved the band's and Alex's personal attorneys.

Probably also involved Alex to a certain extent, and probably would cause a distraction to actually working on new material, so it doesn't surprise me.

Personally, it was nice to hear that they are working on new material.

Jason

#59 of 141 OFFLINE   Brett_B

Brett_B

Supporting Actor

• 723 posts

Posted September 21 2005 - 10:31 AM

Where'd you get that release, Brett?

http://www.2112.net/...indows/News.htm

Do you know how many times I've been led to believe those discs were coming?

Believe me, you don't have to tell me. Remember, I started this thread almost 4 years ago. I didn't come back to this thread until you emailed me about it.

--it's nothing new. I want dates

I couldn't agree more, but the way I look at it is like a puzzle and the pieces are beginning to fall in place. First off, there was that recent press release in regards to the videos being in production (Fogolabs). Even if that was held in question, they did list R30 as one of the DVDs they (Fogolabs) were working on (along with all the previous video releases). Shortly after that "advertisement" Rush officially announces the R30 show. Now there is a news story stating everything all over again except this time there are actual dates associated with the R30 release and Neil's instructional video.

I am still not getting my hopes up, but I am feeling better now.

#60 of 141 OFFLINE   Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,813 posts

Posted September 21 2005 - 11:19 AM

Yeah Brett I basically agree, but I'm tired of getting spanked.

I wrote a letter to Jim Cameron in 1998 asking about/for a Titanic SE. SEVEN years later Paramount announces it . . . 3 months after announcing that the studio is supporting HD DVD and a release slate for Q4.

In August, the studio announced they're not releasing any HD DVDs this fall.

Warner has similarly "delayed" their HD DVD release plans. So no Batman Begins HD DVD this fall either, after my having blue balls for it since June 15 when I saw that movie.

Found this after clickety clicking around the link you sent me:

"Mar. 2005: Atlantic adds a preorder link for the Vapor Trails remaster on its website, and a source close to Anthem Records confirms its release is imminent."

HA!

In the words of you-know-Who: I "Won't Get Fooled Again"!

-p

Back to Music & Soundtracks

Forum Nav Content I Follow