Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

WHV Press Release: The next 15 Archive Collection Titles

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 of 20 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,572 posts

Posted April 23 2009 - 10:11 AM

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

“WARNER ARCHIVE COLLECTION” ADDS 15 CLASSIC MOVIE TITLES TO ITS POPULAR ONLINE SERVICE INCLUDING “A WOMAN REBELS” AND “THOUSANDS CHEER”

Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group also Launches “Golden History of Hollywood” Podcast Offering Movie Fans a ‘Virtual Time Machine’ back to the Golden Age of Hollywood

Burbank, Calif., April 23, 2009 – Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group (WBHEG), today announced the addition of 15 classic movie titles to its popular “Warner Archive Collection” (WBshop.com - The Official Online Store of Warner Bros. Studios: Warner Archive) online service including “Thousands Cheer” starring Gene Kelly and Judy Garland, and “A Woman Rebels” starring Katharine Hepburn. This month’s releases offer fans a variety of choices that include westerns, comedies, musicals and costume dramas. The Warner Archive Collection currently offers 165 timeless movies and by year’s end will have more than 300 titles online.

Spanning more than 60 years of filmmaking, the Warner Archive Collection offers movie fans access to Warner Bros. Entertainment’s unparalleled film library consisting of pre-1986 MGM, RKO Radio Pictures and Warner Bros. Pictures films. These timeless classics can be downloaded or purchased on DVDs that are made to order for the customer using a state-of-the-art Manufacturing on Demand (MOD) process. For a complete list of titles visit WarnerArchive.com.

Also announced today, WBHEG launched an exciting podcast series titled “The Golden History of Hollywood.” Hosted by George Feltenstein of Warner Home Video and available on iTunes (Apple - iTunes - The world?s most popular digital media player.) and numerous online sites for free, this series will take movie fans back in time to the “Golden Era” of Hollywood. “The Golden History of Hollywood” features captivating archival recordings from Warner Bros.’ vault including behind-the-scenes interviews with stars, radio editions of movies from the “Lux Radio Theater” and MGM’s “Good News” radio programs and much more.

“The launch of Warner Archive exceeded our wildest expectations,” said George Feltenstein, senior vice president, Theatrical Catalog Marketing, Warner Home Video. “We’ve had such a tremendous response to this effort to the point where we had to bring additional resources online to meet demand. Clearly there is an insatiable appetite for classic movies and television shows.”

To order their movies, fans visit WarnerArchive.com, select their titles, and upon purchase, a state-of-the-art manufacturing on demand (MOD) system creates a made-to-order DVD. The system places the DVD into a hard plastic Amaray case featuring custom artwork; shrink wraps it and ships the finished package to the customer which arrives in approximately five days. The cost per title is $19.95, plus shipping. Alternatively, consumers can purchase digital downloads of these classic films to enjoy immediately on their PC. The cost for a digital download is $14.95 per title. Warner Archive Collection is currently available only to consumers in the United States.

About Warner Bros. Digital Distribution
Warner Bros. Digital Distribution (WBDD) manages Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group’s electronic distribution streams over existing, new and emerging digital platforms, including pay-per-view, electronic sell-through, video-on-demand, wireless and more. WBDD also oversees the WBHEG’s worldwide digital strategy, partnerships in digital services and emerging new clients and business activities in the digital space.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 20 OFFLINE   mdnitoil

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor

• 779 posts

Posted April 23 2009 - 10:35 AM

Really looking forward to these podcasts. Done well, they could be well worth saving. Posted Image

Will HTF be hosting these files?

I've got to admit that a little part of me grumbled when reading about the "insatiable appetite" for classic material. Apparently not insatiable enough for actual wide release, but that's water under the bridge now.

#3 of 20 OFFLINE   JeffMc

JeffMc

Supporting Actor

• 529 posts
  • LocationAntarctica

Posted April 23 2009 - 11:00 AM

Oh, how I love press releases. Everybody is in ultimate joy and all our expectations are exceeded to the extreme and we're all going to live happily ever after in ecstasy.

But don't forget, we wanna make lots of moola, too !!!

#4 of 20 OFFLINE   Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,730 posts

Posted April 23 2009 - 05:45 PM

15 bucks a title with no shipping costs (and the 20% off coupon)? Okay, that's getting to be more reasonable. I burn it to a disc myself, save some kopkins in the process and we're good to go.

NOW I can almost start to get behind the idea. If could just break the 10 dollar price range. . . .

#5 of 20 OFFLINE   Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 6,001 posts

Posted April 23 2009 - 10:31 PM

Quote:
“The launch of Warner Archive exceeded our wildest expectations,” said George Feltenstein, senior vice president, Theatrical Catalog Marketing, Warner Home Video. “We’ve had such a tremendous response to this effort to the point where we had to bring additional resources online to meet demand. Clearly there is an insatiable appetite for classic movies and television shows.”

Ummm... so then why not just release them as official DVDs? For years we've been hearing "these titles won't sell", and now they're realizing people do want them...?

#6 of 20 OFFLINE   Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,155 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted April 23 2009 - 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Karlosi
Ummm... so then why not just release them as official DVDs? For years we've been hearing "these titles won't sell", and now they're realizing people do want them...?

I'm going to guess because no retail store on Earth would stock them. Best Buy, Borders and Wal-Mart wouldn't stock one of these let alone all fifteen of them. This effects business so they are taking steps to cut away from the cost (even though the selling price is still higher).

#7 of 20 OFFLINE   cajunhillbilly

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter

• 1,765 posts

Posted April 23 2009 - 11:45 PM

I just want to know when they are going to start releasing their TV series. Maverick, Cheyenne, Bronco, Sugarfoot, 77 Sunset Strip, Bourbon Street Beat, etc.

#8 of 20 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,572 posts

Posted April 23 2009 - 11:45 PM

Quote:

You are only hearing that hardcore enthusiasts like us who reside
on Internet forums like these are greatly interested in many of these
titles.

The general public, on the other hand, probably much less so.

Michael is correct that it is a cost-effective move by the studio to
replicate only the amount of titles that are in demand. It would cost
much more to mass produce these titles for general retail release with
severely limited sales. This is why small titles from other major studios
never see the light of day.

It's a very smart move for Warner to release lesser-known titles,
replicating only what is needed, and keeping costs low.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#9 of 20 OFFLINE   kingfish

kingfish

Screenwriter

• 1,019 posts

Posted April 24 2009 - 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Elliott
I'm going to guess because no retail store on Earth would stock them. Best Buy, Borders and Wal-Mart wouldn't stock one of these let alone all fifteen of them. This effects business so they are taking steps to cut away from the cost (even though the selling price is still higher).

I read that Borders is closing. I wonder what titles Warner's will release in the future.

#10 of 20 OFFLINE   Coopsgirl_31

Coopsgirl_31

Agent

• 32 posts

Posted April 28 2009 - 01:50 AM

In regard to the Borders stores, they aren't closing but they are reducing their DVD/CD stock to new releases and best sellers only. I was in one this weekend and that’s what one of the employees told me when I asked what happened to their movie section as it was now empty. That’s a real shame as they were the only place around where I could actually buy classic movies without having to order them online. They had a pretty good selection but I guess like everyone else they are now cutting way back. I buy the majority of my dvd’s online anyway so I’ll guess I’ll just have to do that exclusively now like every other classic film fan. Thank goodness there’s plenty of room for these titles in cyberspace.

#11 of 20 OFFLINE   Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted April 28 2009 - 04:11 AM

Still no news about selling these worldwide? I'm very interested in these, but it's sad there's still no option for everyone who doesn't live in America, and if they do they should provide a cheap shipping method.
I also think that if this is such a big success, the prices could be dropped, even to $15.
Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#12 of 20 OFFLINE   Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted April 28 2009 - 04:44 AM

Has anybody received any of these titles yet? I ordered several on the 20th and there's been no movement yet.
Charles Hoyt

#13 of 20 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,464 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted April 28 2009 - 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Borst
Still no news about selling these worldwide? I'm very interested in these, but it's sad there's still no option for everyone who doesn't live in America, and if they do they should provide a cheap shipping method.
I also think that if this is such a big success, the prices could be dropped, even to $15.

If this is such a big success, I'm afraid there is absolutely no reason at all for WHV to drop the price.
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#14 of 20 OFFLINE   Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted April 28 2009 - 06:52 AM

No, I was afraid of that. Oh, well, I can't even buy them as of now.
Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#15 of 20 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,852 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted April 28 2009 - 10:33 AM

I received six that I ordered today, The Mad Miss Manton, Meet the People, Joy of Living, Having a Wonderful Time, Luxury Liner, and Thousands Cheer. Luxury Liner and Thousands Cheer have a good color transfer. I am most disappointed in The Mad Miss Manton. There are numerous scratches along the left side of the picture from the RKO logo to about three minutes into it. If this was regular DVD release, that would have been corrected. With what appeared to be so many people asking for this film through the many WB Chats, you would think it would be cleaned up some. I have several of the WA films. This is the my first disappointment, though I am still glad to have the film on DVD.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#16 of 20 OFFLINE   CineKarine

CineKarine

Supporting Actor

• 672 posts

Posted April 28 2009 - 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles H
Has anybody received any of these titles yet? I ordered several on the 20th and there's been no movement yet.

My US friend received my order today although I never did get an email telling me it had been shipped. What a neat surprise! Posted Image
Sing your worries away, smile, be kind and accentuate the positive!
DVD wish list: The Accused (48), Margie (46), I'll Get By (50), The Constant Nymph (43), The Voice of the Turtle (47), The Barretts of Wimpole Street (34), Her Twelve Men (54), The Lost Moment (47), I Walk Alone (48), The Glass...

#17 of 20 OFFLINE   felipenor

felipenor

Stunt Coordinator

• 130 posts

Posted April 30 2009 - 10:14 AM

I thought they could afford to release a Garland/Kelly title on official dvd. It's not like nobody's gonna buy it.

#18 of 20 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,240 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted April 30 2009 - 12:05 PM

Is there an actual list of the next 15 titles in that press notice, 'cause I don't see it there?
facebook.com/whotony

#19 of 20 OFFLINE   CineKarine

CineKarine

Supporting Actor

• 672 posts

Posted April 30 2009 - 12:57 PM

Christopher Strong (33)
The Little Minister (34)
Spitfire (34)
Break of Hearts (35)
A Woman Rebels (36)
Quality Street (37)
Having Wonderful Time (38)
The Mad Miss Manton (38)
Joy of Living (38)
Thousands Cheer (43)
Meet the People (44)
Trail Street (47)
Luxury Liner (48)
Return of the Badmen (48)
Carson City (52)

I've had all of these in my collection for years and years and they are all worth watching for all types of reason. Posted Image The 4 in this bunch that I regard as special favorites, I just upgraded courtesy of the Archives. Posted Image
Sing your worries away, smile, be kind and accentuate the positive!
DVD wish list: The Accused (48), Margie (46), I'll Get By (50), The Constant Nymph (43), The Voice of the Turtle (47), The Barretts of Wimpole Street (34), Her Twelve Men (54), The Lost Moment (47), I Walk Alone (48), The Glass...

#20 of 20 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,240 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted April 30 2009 - 02:14 PM

Ok thanks karine.
I thought this was a newer 15 bringing the total to 180.
facebook.com/whotony

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow