What's new

Opinions on Complete Series sets (1 Viewer)

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
I recently found out that I will be getting some extra money to play with within the next few weeks. And after enjoying my purchases of sets such as Twilight Zone: The Complete Definitive Collection and Brady Bunch: The Complete Series I would like to put this extra money to one such set. There is a few such sets I am considering I would like opinions on.

- I Love Lucy: The Complete Series
- Macgyver: The Complete Series
- Get Smart: The Complete Series Gift Set
- Andy Griffith Show: The Complete Series

I had also considered I Dream of Jeannie: Complete Series until I read that the first season in that set is the colorized version... which I don't like.

Anyway... would like opinions on the above sets as well as any other ideas for such TV Series mega-sets that I should consider. Things to keep in mind for suggestions...

- Price Limit: Up to Approx. $200
- Packaging: I do like gimmick packaging... but want the discs to be safe first and foremost.
- Extras Content: Extras always a plus... but extras that you can not get with the separate season sets is a BIG plus

Anyway... thanks for any suggestions... I appreciate the help!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

jamoon2006

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Mooney
First of all, I'm jealous of the extra $$! :cool:

Second - I've loved working through the Get Smart complete series. I'm a big fan of 60s spy TV (Mission: Impossible, I Spy, Danger Man, etc.) so Get Smart is a great companion to those shows. I had good memories of catching it on Nick at Nite when I was a kid and it holds up very well!

Re: your extras concern, I believe the complete set contains a whole disc of extras for each season that you can't get in the individual sets.

Re: box design - I haven't had any problems, but I seem to remember others complaining about the design of the box (you go through multiple "doors" like Max's walk in the intro) The discs themselves are in season-by-season packs and they seem well protected.

Not that your other ideas are bad, but my vote would go to Get Smart. Whatever you end up getting, hope you enjoy!

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
The I Love Lucy Complete Set comes with the unreleased "I Love Lucy" movie as an exclusive bonus. (Apparently the movie was shelved, just like Ricky's "Don Juan.")

It's basically three existing episodes weaved together with a few minutes of never-before-seen linking material to make it play like a movie. As a way of explaining away the laugh track, the shows are bookended by a prologue and epilogue in which we join a couple attending a filming of "I Love Lucy" at the old General Services Studio. Desi Arnaz warms up the audience and introduces the cast before we go into the story itself. This extra, which is exclusive the complete series set, makes the "I Love Lucy" Complete Set a must for fans.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Well, I can only speak for the ILL set, since it's the only one I have.

Had the thing for over a year and I'm still not done watching all of it, but the extras (both bonus disc and on the main collection) are really interesting. Quite frankly, I would argue this is something, along with TTZ, that any self-respecting TV on DVD admirer MUST own. It's just classic television that both still holds up and looks wonderful after all these years.

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
Wow! both I Love Lucy and Get Smart sounds really good. Wish I had the money for both of them!

Question Though... what is your thoughts on the packaging of I Love Lucy?

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Well, the discs are packaged in cardboard, so be careful they don't get scratched. On the other hand, the casing is tight enough so they won't slip. Basically, the whole thing is designed as a "heart" that covers the discs in two seperate packages (the exclusive bonus disc and seasons 1-3 on the left, seasons 4 on on the right side) with a booklet in front with an synopsis of all the episodes, but not the extras. Trust me, watch the discs, you'll be shocked at all the extras crammed on.

All and all, nice packaging, IMHO. Doing ILL in tray packaging probably would have made the collection extremely cost prohibitive, given how many discs there are and would probably make the collection the size of a PC tower.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
With ~$200 to spend you should be able to pick up a couple of these if you shop around...
During the next DD sale (assuming 25% off):
Get Smart would be ~$120
I Love Lucy would be ~$108

While it's a bit over your limit you could add the extra $$ yourself. Both these sets are highly recommended. While I detest kitchy/gimicky packaging and often pass on "complete sets" because of such, the Get Smart box is not as bad as it could have been, just a bit inconvenient if you want to rewatch often.

If you're not strictly looking for comedy titles I would recommend looking at these classic "must own" series as well:

The Man from U.N.C.L.E.
Avengers Emma Peel Megaset
The Wild, Wild West

Again, with a bit of shopping around you should be able to pick up a couple of these.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
This series could have been put in 17 slimline cases (34 disks) and would have taken up the same amount of shelf space as the Get Smart set while affording better disk protection. Like the IDOJ set this is one I've passed on due to packaging issues. While they are lacking a bit of extras I much prefer the packaging of the individual seasons and the current cost is about the same.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith

My guess would be the opposite, the Fugitive fits 4 disks in a standard sized case and Daniel Boone 8 disks in a double size case. You could fit all the ILL disks in 6 double size cases. Not actually all that much space and these cases are pre-existing and easily purchased cheaply vs. designing a custom approach for a specialize production run. I think they pay more to do the fancy designs to entice buyers and double dips even though they almost always sacrifice durability and protection.

I have the first two seasons of ILL but haven't watched many episodes yet. I haven't decided how far I want to go, but I might buy them all as individual seasons to get all the extras.

As for Andy Griffith, this is possibly my favorite. I have the first 5 seasons and stopped there. I might have gotten the series set but it also is contained within cardboard sleeves and I just won't go that direction. Also, I prefer to always remember Mayberry with Barney around. It just wasn't the same when he left.

I recently picked up the 2 ILL seasons and 5 Andy Griffith seasons for $16 a piece, so even individually you don't have to break the bank.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I don't recommend the Brady Bunch. Not only does it have the lousiest packaging of any "complete series" set, but I have never been too crazy about the prints used for the dvds. They are a hodge-podge of stuff from different source materials. The good footage is pristine; the bad footage is crapazowie. They did the best they could, but let's see what the future brings.

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I Love Lucy: The Complete Series
* Loads and Loads of extras
* The I Love Lucy Movie
* Episodes of My Favorite Husband (Lucy's pre-ILL radio show)
* The complete series of the follow-up program to ILL: The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour (13 episodes)
* Flubs
* Colorized episode of ILL ("Lucy Goes to Scotland")
* The rarely seen Christmas episode and Pilot
* Ect., ect., ect.!

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
I would really like to be able to get 2 sets if I can get them cheap enough to do so. A couple more sets I am considering...

- The Incredible Hulk: Complete Series
For this one I already have seasons 1 and 2 so it may be cheaper for me to just get seasons 3-5... but I do like that big box for the entire series. Is there any additional extras with this set that I wouldn't get with the separate seasons?? And would the complete series set save on shelf room? that is a concern as well. If I do get the complete series set... the first 2 seasons I can give to my mother as she really likes the show.

-
Knight Rider: The Complete Series
Problem here is I already have all the season sets. Though I would consider a double dip since I read they are not double sided discs in the complete series set. Plus the case on this set looks very cool! And I have a good home for the season sets as my mother loves the show.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew

Well, I don't have either of these unfortunately, so I can only go by what I've heard on reviews. Hulk is just a repackage of the season sets with no additional extras, basically something for everyone who has been waiting. Knight Rider, I dunno about the extras aside from the case, I was even unaware of the difference in the discs.

Truth be told, if you had to pick a second complete set, get another one from your previous list over Hulk or Rider. Just an opinion who's considering replay value and maximum enjoyment.

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
I have only bought TWO Complete Series Sets: LAND OF THE GIANTS and THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E. Because this was the ONLY WAY to get them.

I’ve been completely satisfied with both of them… but I would rather have gotten them one season at a time for one very important reason.

It takes a LONG WHILE to watch a complete series of something. I’m STILL not finished with U.N.C.L.E. – and that was released last November.

Given this, I’m still working my way through things long after the window for the RETURN OF MERCHANDISE for possible defects has closed.

So, if I find any serious defects with my Season Four, of the U.N.C.L.E. Complete Series (which I’m still some time away from viewing), I’m probably out of L.U.C.K.

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
OK... sounds like I will just pick up the additional Incredible Hulk season sets since it is nothing new in it.

Some more for consideration...

- Stargate: SG-1: The Complete Series (only ever seen season 1 before)
- That '70s Show: Complete gift set
- The Flintstones: Complete Series

If anyone here has both I Love Lucy and The Brady Bunch complete series sets... how is the packaging of I Love Lucy compared to The Brady Bunch? I hate the packaging for The Brady Bunch... but I haven't had any real problems with it either.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Stargate only gets better, but I don't know your likes and dislikes. I'd buy the complete series in a heartbeat if I didn't own them, but I wouldn't want it on my head your spending that much if you didn't like it.

I think you should consider that Jeannie complete series and then just buy the B&W set separately. Depends on if you can get it cheap. I see Amazon has it for $23.99, which is a little steep on top of the complete set.

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
I picked up the 70s show set. I love the old record box style in it. I really disliked the last 2-3 seasons, but am happy to get 'em all with the packaging. It's fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks