Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Announcement: Warner Home Video Blu-Ray Loyalty and HD-DVD Trade Up Program

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
241 replies to this topic

#1 of 242 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,279 posts

Posted April 21 2009 - 09:16 PM

IT’S A ‘BLU’ APRIL!
WARNER HOME VIDEO OFFERS BLU-RAY LOYALTY AND
HD-DVD TRADE UP PROGRAM

Burbank, Calif., April 22, 2009 – Warner Home Video (WHV) has announced the launch of two new programs, “Warnerblu Buy 5 Get 1 Free,” the Studio’s first-ever Blu-ray Disc™ customer loyalty program, and an HD-DVD trade up program, “Red2Blu,” which offers HD-DVD owners the opportunity to upgrade their Warner Home Video releases on HD-DVD for a Blu-ray Disc of the same movie.

For those who have chosen to watch movies at home the best way possible, with the picture and sound that you can only get on Blu-ray Disc, the new “Warnerblu Buy 5 Get 1 Free” program offers consumers one free Blu-ray movie for every five participating titles purchased through April 6, 2010 (shipping and handling not included). “Warnerblu Buy 5 Get 1 Free” is open to residents in the United States and Canada.

To join “Warnerblu Buy 5 Get 1 Free,” consumers register at Warnerblu.com/rewards. After joining, members earn one credit for each subsequent WHV Blu-ray title they purchase. Once their Blu-ray title is registered, their Warnerblu account is credited,and when they reach five Blu-ray titles, they will be able to select a free WHV Blu-ray Disc (plus shipping and handling).

The first participating Blu-ray release is Yes Man,released on April 7. For details and restrictions and a list of upcoming participating WHV titles, visit WarnerBlu.com/rewards.

In addition to “Warnerblu Buy 5 Get 1 Free,” WHV has announced a new program, “Red2Blu,”for those who want to upgrade titles they currently own on HD-DVD to Blu-ray. By visiting Red2Blu.com, consumers can trade up virtually any of their WHV HD-DVD titles (up to 25) for the same title on Blu-ray for a small fee plus shipping and handling. For details and restrictions, visit Red2Blu.com. “Red2Blu” is available to residents of the United States only.

Also, to promote the launch of “Warnerblu Buy 5 Get 1 Free,” WHV is launching the “Blu-ray Today” sweepstakes, featuring a grand prize of $5,000. Once they enter the sweepstakes, customers can return to the web site every day for additional entries (one per day). The “Blu-ray Today” sweepstakes runs now through April 6, 2010 on WarnerBlu.com.

To register for “Warnerblu Buy 5 Get 1 Free,” to take advantage of “Red2Blu,” and for more information on the sweepstakes, visit Warnerblu.com/rewards or Red2Blu.com.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 242 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,279 posts

Posted April 21 2009 - 09:16 PM

This is fantastic news. I have at least 25 Warner HD-DVD titles I would
love to upgrade to Blu-ray.

Very cool for Warner to make this kind of trade-up program available.

Ronald J Epstein

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#3 of 242 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted April 21 2009 - 11:21 PM

Eh, I figure that by the time my HD-DVD player craps out on me (if it ever does; that HD-A1 is built like a tank), then there will be re-releases. In the mean time, I'll save the money that would go to "a small fee and shipping plus handling".

Any folks who never had HD-DVD but want to get some cheap movies by combining this with iNetVideo, though, should go nuts.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#4 of 242 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,511 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted April 22 2009 - 12:16 AM

Very good of Warner to make this trade-up program available. Just checked the site - cost is $4.95 per disc, plus $6.95 S&H per order. So you want to do all your trade-ups at once to minimize S&H.

You send in your HD-DVD cover art to redeem the discs. That means you have to dispose of the HD-DVD discs & cases (or keep them as a backup, I guess).

Dunno if I will trade up all my Warner HD-DVDs, but I might at least get rid of those annoying combos. Posted Image

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#5 of 242 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,279 posts

Posted April 22 2009 - 12:20 AM

Craig,

Just to clarify...

You can exchange up to 25 HD-DVD for BD discs.

Cost of each exchange is $4.95 per disc. If you do 25 at once you
only need to pay $6.95 S&H for the entire order?

Also, I take it you only need to remove and send the cover art from
each disc. Nothing else.

Ronald J Epstein

#6 of 242 OFFLINE   Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted April 22 2009 - 12:24 AM

I wonder if I trade in my Superman Returns HD DVD, will they send me the TrueHD Blu-ray or the DD one. Posted Image

#7 of 242 OFFLINE   Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted April 22 2009 - 12:44 AM

$14.95 to upgrade Blade Runner. No thanks. I can almost buy the Blu myself for that price.

#8 of 242 OFFLINE   Jay Gregory

Jay Gregory

Stunt Coordinator

• 237 posts

Posted April 22 2009 - 12:55 AM

I wonder if you will actually receive the "Ultimate Collector's Edition" in return if you "upgrade" 'Casablanca.'

#9 of 242 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,651 posts

Posted April 22 2009 - 01:24 AM

"Upgrade" may not be the best chosen terminology. Posted Image

Cees

#10 of 242 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,511 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted April 22 2009 - 01:26 AM

Quote:
Cost of each exchange is $4.95 per disc. If you do 25 at once you
only need to pay $6.95 S&H for the entire order?
That's the impression I got.
Quote:
$14.95 to upgrade Blade Runner. No thanks. I can almost buy the Blu myself for that price.
Agreed, not a great deal because the BD set is so cheap. But they do have some good deals on other sets. $14.95 to upgrade the Harry Potter set (5 discs) is not bad at all.
Quote:
I wonder if you will actually receive the "Ultimate Collector's Edition" in return if you "upgrade" 'Casablanca.'
Was wondering the same thing myself.

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#11 of 242 OFFLINE   David_B_K

David_B_K

Screenwriter

• 1,541 posts

Posted April 22 2009 - 01:43 AM

I may not do it for 25 titles, but will for some. 25 x 4.95 is $123.75, but it is 25 discs. I agree the Blade Runner deal is not good. Also, The Searchers can be had from Amazon for $11.95. Still, I am impressed with Warner for offering this program.

#12 of 242 OFFLINE   Bryan Beckman

Bryan Beckman

Second Unit

• 272 posts

Posted April 22 2009 - 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig S
Was wondering the same thing myself.

As am I.

When you click on the Casablanca HD-DVD image on the website, it flips around and becomes a Blu-ray case. Same cover art as the HD-DVD release.

Does this mean that the stripped-down version is just around the corner? Or that HD-DVD upgraders/updaters are about to get an exclusive?

#13 of 242 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 16,870 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted April 22 2009 - 01:54 AM

Sold!

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#14 of 242 OFFLINE   Tim-H.

Tim-H.

Second Unit

• 427 posts

Posted April 22 2009 - 02:17 AM

Seems like a great move by Warner, and I appreciate it. May not swap all of my HD-DVDs, but a dozen or so for sure.
Watch THE SNUGGIE KILLER on YouTube!

#15 of 242 OFFLINE   BrettGallman

BrettGallman

Screenwriter

• 1,392 posts

Posted April 22 2009 - 02:31 AM

So I take it that only the Ultimate Matrix Collection can be upgraded, and not "The Complete Matrix Trilogy?" If so, that's a bit of a bummer, but somewhat understandable I guess.
Oh, the Horror - Horror Reviews from All Decades and All Sub-Genres!
Balls Academy -  Your Alma mater for teen films, raunchy, low-brow comedies, sexploitation & coming of age dramas.
Other recent reviews: Super | Thor Tobacco RoadSource Code | Sucker Punch |

#16 of 242 OFFLINE   PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,582 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted April 22 2009 - 02:46 AM

Interesting but I'll give it a pass (even though I live in Canada, I work in the US and I could probably use my office address). I have two HD DVD players and I doubt they will both go "belly up" in the near future. Moreover, I have some HD DVDs that are not out in BD yet (notably Forbidden Planet, Mutiny on the Bounty and Grand Prix) and I don't expect a near future release, either. Oh, and I like the combo discs--they've come in handy already and I would have liked it if all HD DVD releases had been combos. Besides, I haven't even unwrapped the latest batch of HD DVDs I just bought (at 2.99-4.99 per disc).

Perhaps a silly question, but do I get to keep the discs if they only want the cover art?
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#17 of 242 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,651 posts

Posted April 22 2009 - 02:54 AM

Quote:
at 2.99-4.99 per disc
Add $4.95 and the price of the BD is just about right. Posted Image

Cees

#18 of 242 OFFLINE   Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted April 22 2009 - 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulDA
Interesting but I'll give it a pass (even though I live in Canada, I work in the US and I could probably use my office address). I have two HD DVD players and I doubt they will both go "belly up" in the near future. Moreover, I have some HD DVDs that are not out in BD yet (notably Forbidden Planet, Mutiny on the Bounty and Grand Prix) and I don't expect a near future release, either.
All three of those titles are expected to be released this year.
"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
--Michael Scott, The Office

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

#19 of 242 OFFLINE   PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,582 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted April 22 2009 - 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Blacklow
All three of those titles are expected to be released this year.
I had not heard any news like that and I remain sceptical (though I hope they do get released as each looks fantastic in hi-def).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cees Alons
Add $4.95 and the price of the BD is just about right. Posted Image

Cees
Except that my most recent HD DVD purchases were made ONLY because of their low cost--I would not have purchased them at twice or more of their prices. All but one were blind buys that would cost me more to rent and the non-blind buy replaced a scratched SD copy that no longer plays. It was the only one I might have purchased for more money for the BD, but the HD DVD will do fine.

I understand the attraction of this offer for many people. However, I am quite satisfied with the PQ of my HD DVD players and their respective displays, I have two players that have not had any issues (and should not have any firmware issues, at any rate, since no more new discs are being made), I actually like the combo discs (I can take those on the road with me so I don't need to get an SD version too), I'm not in the camp of "I have to have lossless audio with my movies" (don't want to argue about it, just stating my position) AND I have enough WB BD titles that to "upgrade" them all to BD would be expensive--I'd rather spend that money on titles I don't already have.

Of course, I still have (and use) a MiniDisc home deck and portable player, still use my 19 year old CD player in the living room system (my first player--a Kenwood from 1986--is still in service at my friend's house), so I expect my HD DVD players to work for quite some time. If and when something actually "better" (qualitatively, I consider HD DVD and BD equivalent) comes along, then I might "upgrade" again. But I'm in no rush.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#20 of 242 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,203 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted April 22 2009 - 03:56 AM

WHAT?

So I can send I'm that slip on the back of my ultimate matrix set
And recieve the blu version for about $21?
facebook.com/whotony

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow