-

Photo
- - - - -

Onkyo 706 Setup menus...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Livestrong

Livestrong

Agent

• 48 posts

Posted April 21 2009 - 01:22 PM

I'm having trouble having my receiver stay with one audio setting. I want to set it to PLII for movies, games, as well as my cable box.
I have a PS3 that I use for DVD/Blu Rays if this helps with anything. Does anyone have any insight?

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Livestrong

Livestrong

Agent

• 48 posts

Posted April 21 2009 - 02:10 PM

I now have the PLII for movies and music now....I still can't get it for my cable though.......

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted April 21 2009 - 02:57 PM

If you put tv on a station, set receiver to Pro Logic II, it should stay there as long as you don't change it. If the receiver is set to digital auto, when a dvd is put in, it should automatically detect DD and go to that soundtrack. Same with tv. If an HD channel, or premium movie channel is broadcasting in 5.1, it should automatically detect it, and go back to Pro Logic II, when you're on a regular station. If you're setup in a 7.1 configuration, it will go to Dolby Pro Logic IIx, instead of Dolby Pro Logic II.

If it doesn't stay there, carefully read your manual again, on the pages it talks about setting memory.
Good luck!

Oh, I forgot. How is your cable connected to the receiver?
Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Livestrong

Livestrong

Agent

• 48 posts

Posted April 22 2009 - 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Moxley
If you put tv on a station, set receiver to Pro Logic II, it should stay there as long as you don't change it. If the receiver is set to digital auto, when a dvd is put in, it should automatically detect DD and go to that soundtrack. Same with tv. If an HD channel, or premium movie channel is broadcasting in 5.1, it should automatically detect it, and go back to Pro Logic II, when you're on a regular station. If you're setup in a 7.1 configuration, it will go to Dolby Pro Logic IIx, instead of Dolby Pro Logic II.

If it doesn't stay there, carefully read your manual again, on the pages it talks about setting memory.
Good luck!

Oh, I forgot. How is your cable connected to the receiver?
Hi Ed, thanks for popping in!

My cable is connected with 2 cables running to my receiver actually. One is an optical cable for audio, and on my Shaw cable box there's a video connection on the back of it (can't think of what it's called) but I had to get a special adapter with an HDMI connection on one end and whatever the connection is called to my cable box.

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted April 22 2009 - 02:36 AM

Probably a DVI to HDMI cable?
All I can say, is to repeat what I said above. I have an Onkyo 805, and what I said above works for me.

You said you want Pro Logic II for movies, games and cable box. What movies? Movies on premium channels or dvds? With either one of those, I'd want Dolby Digital (real 5.1 surround), instead of Dolby Pro Logic II (simulated surround). The real thing is better. I should say though, that not all premium channels, broadcast all movies in 5.1 surround. But some of them are. Those that aren't, yes, I'd want pro logic for them.

Is the ps3 connected by HDMI?
The Onkyo 706 can decode the HD audio formats, found on blu ray movies (Dolby TrueHD and dtsHD Master Audio). With this ability, I hope you're not listening to blu ray movies in Pro Logic II? Regular Dolby Digital and DTS are better than Pro Logic, and Dolby TrueHD and dtsHD are better than regular Dolby Digital and DTS! I'd only use Pro Logic, when the only other choice is stereo............ Posted Image

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Livestrong

Livestrong

Agent

• 48 posts

Posted April 23 2009 - 08:49 PM

Quote:
Probably a DVI to HDMI cable?
All I can say, is to repeat what I said above. I have an Onkyo 805, and what I said above works for me.

You said you want Pro Logic II for movies, games and cable box. What movies? Movies on premium channels or dvds? With either one of those, I'd want Dolby Digital (real 5.1 surround), instead of Dolby Pro Logic II (simulated surround). The real thing is better. I should say though, that not all premium channels, broadcast all movies in 5.1 surround. But some of them are. Those that aren't, yes, I'd want pro logic for them.

The Onkyo 706 can decode the HD audio formats, found on blu ray movies (Dolby TrueHD and dtsHD Master Audio). With this ability, I hope you're not listening to blu ray movies in Pro Logic II? Regular Dolby Digital and DTS are better than Pro Logic, and Dolby TrueHD and dtsHD are better than regular Dolby Digital and DTS! I'd only use Pro Logic, when the only other choice is stereo............ Posted Image
My PS3 is connected via HDMI. I didn't realize that PLII was simulated surround. When I'm watching cable, the sounds comes in as Dolby Digital which now I know is better than the PLII!! I'm away at work now so I will play around with it more when I get back home.

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   ocjdf

ocjdf

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted May 12 2009 - 09:29 AM

The Onkyo 706 can decode the HD audio formats, found on blu ray movies (Dolby TrueHD and dtsHD Master Audio). With this ability, I hope you're not listening to blu ray movies in Pro Logic II? Regular Dolby Digital and DTS are better than Pro Logic, and Dolby TrueHD and dtsHD are better than regular Dolby Digital and DTS! I'd only use Pro Logic, when the only other choice is stereo............ Posted Image[/quote]

You mentioned 'If the receiver is set to digital auto' it will automatically detect the best signal. How do I set this? I don't see in the setup menus where I do this.

Thanks.

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted May 12 2009 - 09:55 AM

On the front of my 805, there's a button called "Audio Sel" (audio select). If your's has a similar button, you may have to push it a couple of times, or more, until "Auto" shows in receiver's window.

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   ocjdf

ocjdf

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted May 12 2009 - 10:16 AM

Quote:
On the front of my 805, there's a button called "Audio Sel" (audio select). If your's has a similar button, you may have to push it a couple of times, or more, until "Auto" shows in receiver's window.

I don't seem to have this on my 706. The problem I have is that when I play Dolby Digital movies, it plays them as PCM 5.1 in THX Cinema mode. I can't seem to select DD on the receiver. My Blue Ray player is connected to my 706 via hdmi. My TV audio out is set to 'off'. What's strange is if I change my TV Audio out to 'on', I will get a PLII option for a listening mode. Any thoughts?

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted May 12 2009 - 12:05 PM

Not sure, but maybe THX Cinema mode won't allow it. Try a different mode.
Also, try "Bitstream" as the output, in the player's setup menus, and see if that makes a difference.

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   ocjdf

ocjdf

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted May 14 2009 - 03:40 AM

Quote:
Not sure, but maybe THX Cinema mode won't allow it. Try a different mode.
Also, try "Bitstream" as the output, in the player's setup menus, and see if that makes a difference.

Yep, setting the Blueray to 'bitstream' did the trick. Thanks!

Back to Receivers/Separates/Amps

Forum Nav Content I Follow