What's new

Speaker smoking (1 Viewer)

FrankBooth

Auditioning
Real Name
Frank
So I just tested out my speakers, onkyo sks-ht540b, hooked up to a denon avr-1707. All sounded fine until I heard a little sizzle and the front right channel speaker started smoking. It also looke like the receiver was smoking a little, but I couldn't tell if it was just smoke from the speaker. The receiver is a factory refurb, When I got I could only get it send power to the front right channel, so I tried to return it, but the company I bought it from, Dakmart, had me send it in for repair. The repair place said they couldn't find anything wrong with it an sent it back. It worked fine for a minute, put out power to all seven speakers, then the one started smoking so I shut it down. How do I figure out if it's the receivers fault or the speakers? The speaker were brand new, not refurbed. Thanks

troy evans

Screenwriter
Frank,
There are so many variables at work here it would be hard to determine what one thing is at fault. Was the refurb work at fault? The wiring inside? The speaker wire itself? The speaker? The repair place you had to send it to? Was it a power surge of some kind? If you can, you should try and get a refund on the receiver. Buy a new one and go from there.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I could not find much info online for your speakers, but they appear to be powered. Are they powered? Do you have a link to the manual for the speakers?

mogman

Auditioning
Real Name
James Cochrane Jr
Go to Radio shack, buy a 10 watt 8 ohm resistor, hook it in place of your speaker, do what you did and see if the resistor gets really hot; it shouldn't for a while under normal circumstances.

FrankBooth

Auditioning
Real Name
Frank
I tried it out again, the speaker that was smoking, the front right, it's tweeter is blown. Everything else worked for a couple minutes, then the receiver started smoking. Now I'm going to have to return the receiver to Florida from Illinois, at my expense. It looks like amazon will pick up the return shipping for the speakers, luckily because that would cost way more than the receiver. I don't know if any of you guys have bought from dakmart before, but I would say to order from complacent else, even if they have a better price. There customer service is complete sh**. The guy I've been in touch with over the phone has been extremely rude and sarcastic. I just dropped another 120$ on speaker wire today, and now I don't have anything to hook it up to.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

OUCH!!!

You should come here before you spend your money in the future. $120 for speaker wire is too much (unless you are buying a large quantity).

Check out Monospace.com Blue Jeans Cables, or go to your local big box hardware store (Home Depot, Lowes, etc) and get your speaker wire.

FrankBooth

Auditioning
Real Name
Frank

Yeah, I bought it from home depot. 40$/100ft of 14awg. I was gonna buy it off ebay, but I didn't want to wait for it to be shipped. I can't seem to find the receipt either, I hope they'll accept a return without it.

sestamuch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonas

Yep, you should have checked this forum first
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

troy evans

Screenwriter
Frank,
I'm just curious as to how big the project room is that you needed 300 feet of speaker wire? Either way, I'm glad you found out the problems and I still think you should invest in a brand new receiver as opposed to used or refurbed.

FrankBooth

Auditioning
Real Name
Frank
The rooms only 14x12, I probably only needed 200 but I bought 300 just in case. I could have used less, but I was gonna wire up through the attic, the down a wall by my receiver. I didn't want wires hanging down my walls. Now I'm gonna put the whole thing on hold for a month or so, as I have prom coming up and will probably use the refunded money on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks